Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, for once, this ain't about the rear mount! :)

I ordered the side mount and transmission mount, as mine have a lot of cracking/dry rot on the rubber. Trans mount seems easy enough, but anybody have any tips and/or tricks to swap out the engine side mount without engine removal?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I would just temporally support the block from underneath with the oem scissor jack and maybe a block of wood. Really, you could shove any random object under it as long as it can handle the weight. If you change one at a time leaving two of the three mounts connected at all times, the block shouldn't try to fall or rotate in any unexpected directions.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes support it underneath with wood on both sides. When i did mine, it slipped down a tad where i couldn't thread the bolts. So i just lifted the engine by hand and threaded it. Its really not that heavy and its not going to fall out if you do one at a time.

I had to loosen the Antilock Brake system on the passenger side so i could slide the mount in and out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes support it underneath with wood on both sides. When i did mine, it slipped down a tad where i couldn't thread the bolts. So i just lifted the engine by hand and threaded it. Its really not that heavy and its not going to fall out if you do one at a time.

I had to loosen the Antilock Brake system on the passenger side so i could slide the mount in and out.
Thanks Conozo, I'm glad that the ABS can be jiggled around. Will attempt that mount this weekend, along with the trans mount.

I would just temporally support the block from underneath with the oem scissor jack and maybe a block of wood. Really, you could shove any random object under it as long as it can handle the weight. If you change one at a time leaving two of the three mounts connected at all times, the block shouldn't try to fall or rotate in any unexpected directions.
Thanks johnny, I'm going to end up doing all three mounts as the rear is bad, too. Will post pics afterward.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, I'm in the process of changing out the passenger side engine mount. I followed all the advice I've been able to find on the forum but I've run into a snag I can't seem to find my way around. I've taken off the three nuts and bolt on the mount, taken all the screws out holding both the ABS unit and AC lines in place and used zip ties to hold the ABS module up in order to pull the through bolt all the way out. The bolt is almost to the point of showing me threads, but I have no more room to pull it out, even through the head of the bolt is underneath the black ABS module. Looks like I have run up against something metal attached to the module. The module is at an angle where it is now higher toward the core support which may be contributing to the lack of room to pull the bolt completely out. I've been very careful not to stress the brake or AC lines in the process but I've kind of maxed out any movement without breaking something. Since some of you have done this before I'm hoping you have some advice. Scott?

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,577 Posts
Scott did make a statement about this a long time ago. I'll see if I can find it.

This thread may be what you are looking for:

·
Super Moderator
1,767 Posts
I think you’ve unbolted more of the ABS pump mount than I normally do. I usually undo the rubber mounts on the sides and it will slide up. Also, to get it to slide up, you have to unplug the electrical to the ABS pump. I leave the mount bracket on the frame and the bolt slides forward. Be sure to support the engine with a jack.

Scott

Reactions: minor4326
1 - 9 of 9 Posts