Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've owned my 2006 MT Insight for maybe a month and a half, and there are 1,400 miles on it. Last night after leaving the gym my car wouldn't start. It'd turn on, I'd get the lights and everything, but the engine wouldn't do anything. The only error message I got was EPS. After a few attempts at starting my car, and letting it sit for about a minute each time, it finally started and I was able to drive home. I didn't have any problems on the way to the gym, or any problems for the life of the car, for that matter, except the herky-jerkies (http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1318&)

So, can anyone here answer my question... "WTF?"

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
..........EPS is a dummy light that stands for Electric Power Steering. There is a fuse in the engine compartment that some people remove, in order to disable the EPS, giving a little different feel of the steering wheel. With the fuse removed, the EPS light is always on. In your case, I don't know why this would happen, or what is wrong. Maybe John (Insightful Trekker) may know this......

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't know about the EPS, but every once in a while I have the same problem where everything turns on, but the engine won't start, nothing happens. I turn the ignition off, wait a few seconds, then try again and it usually starts. I've asked Honda about it and they couldn't find anything. Said it would have to happen while they are checking it for them to find out what's wrong. Mine is an 2002 and has been doing this for about three years. Sometimes when this happens the starter starts the car and it is a very rough, jerky start.

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Next time it happens without releasing the key cycle the clutch making sure the carpet mat isn't limiting downward travel. Then maybe "snap" the clutch, let it pop back top to the top. What we're trying to identify are the clutch starting interlock switches. Could be adjustment of the knee bone connection to the leg bone, the switch position itself or possibly a switch failing intermittantly. ;)

Or it could be a failure of some type causing low 12v battery voltage. And the various computers involved wouldn't like that :!: ;) So they "glitch".

Easiest other thing to check are the 12v main grounds and terminal connections under the hood. JackMPG has the ground tutorial on his webpages:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jackmpg

And your dealer is 75% correct. All the electrical tests in the world will check "good" for an intermittant failure until its "caught" acting up. But there are some basics that could be looked at like the above.

HTH! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts