Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, so I've been apart of this forum and have found a lot of useful information. The other day I had to get the car (my 2001 Insight) in for emissions. Lo and behold my surprise when they said that my little car failed with an error code of P1169. I know that it means the A/F sensor is reading high voltage I'm confused weather that means the o2 sensor is bad or if the A/F sensor is bad. Can someone please explain the difference and how I can diagnose the difference to get it fixed. I need to fix it asap and get it in to pass emissions soon. Please Help. Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
Palmer,

Start by going to User CP on the upper left and change your profile to include your city and state so we know where you are. There may be someone close that may want to help you but we need to know where you are.
Gerald

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Alright, so I've been apart of this forum and have found a lot of useful information. The other day I had to get the car (my 2001 Insight) in for emissions. Lo and behold my surprise when they said that my little car failed with an error code of P1169. I know that it means the A/F sensor is reading high voltage I'm confused weather that means the o2 sensor is bad or if the A/F sensor is bad. Can someone please explain the difference and how I can diagnose the difference to get it fixed. I need to fix it asap and get it in to pass emissions soon. Please Help. Thanks for your time.
P1169 with the corresponding flash code of 48 is for the 1st O2 sensor which is used as the A/F sensor. The other sensor(s) is/are used to check the operation of the catalytic converter(s).

The O2 sensor used on the 2001 Insight changed during the year from a five wire to a four wire sensor. If you look at the back of the engine the top sensor screwed in the exhaust pipe is the #1 sensor. See how many wires your sensor has so you can be sure to get the correct one.

It is a special wide band sensor to allow the Insight ECM to read the extremely wide A/F range that the manual transmission car uses. Most universal [cheaper] WB sensors will not work on the Insight.

Do a search on the forum and you can [hopefully] find what some people have found to work from eBay. But you will need to know how many wires your sensor has to make sure your sensor is the same as what other people have used.

I would take the car to AutoZone and let them read the MIL out to see if they come up with a different read out.

The Honda dealers will be very expensive for the OEM correct sensor plus installation. It is not hard to change the top sensor at all if you have an O2 split 7/8" socket (AutoZone). Getting the locking Honda connector apart is the hardest part of the job. The sensor should have the manufacturer and the part number etched into the extended part of the metal of the senser itself. With luck you might be able to read the information with a flashlight and a mirror. Or perhaps someone put the wrong sensor in the car?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Good find. Good price.

For Palmercam's information, this is the 5 wire sensor because it won't work in the 2002-2006 cars but is listed to work in the 2000 cars which do require a 5 wire sensor. So check how many wires your sensor has before ordering it.

The sensor is listed at Amazon as working in the 2001 cars but they obviously don't know about the number of wires change over.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,125 Posts
They will work in 2000-mid 2001 Insights. I have one in mine.
Best to check your mfg. date.

HHT
Willie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts