Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have done my best to seek out this info - perhaps these two issues are related - perhaps not.

My guess is they are as IMA light and Check engine came on at the same time, two minutes into driving - having not driven the car for three days - noting also that the temperatures were very cold ... 35 degrees or so.

12 volt batter is new - one year old - got it tested at auto zone - it checks out.

Car was driving fine with 45,000 original miles and what seems to be a newer battery pack as I have never had any issues with it holding a charge, integrating power to the motor - everything seemed normal.

One thing to note - two things rather - I had let my wife borrow the car and as I started driving it noted that the windshield screen made of reflective material was behind the seats - maybe covering up the battery vents.

I moved it - but only after seeing this issue arise.

So car was driving - two minutes in - no smell or odd thing there - but I have no battery assist - the battery kept charging until full - IMA light on - Check engine light on.

Took the vehicle to auto zone for a free code check -

P0113

P1449

Both codes came up. Again the 12 v battery tested out just fine.

What is going on? Intake Air temp sensor circuit high input and Battery Module Overheating?

Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
Car was driving fine with 45,000 original miles and what seems to be a newer battery pack as I have never had any issues with it holding a charge, integrating power to the motor - everything seemed normal.

Took the vehicle to auto zone for a free code check -

P0113

P1449

Both codes came up. Again the 12 v battery tested out just fine.

What is going on? Intake Air temp sensor circuit high input and Battery Module Overheating?

Any advice?
What may have seemed like a good battery has been going down hill while you watched. Have you been grid charging and ocassionally cycling? There are multiple threads on the topic here on IC.

P1449 is the most serious IMA battery failure code. There is sometime hope of temporary recovery with grid cycling. The P1449 blink codes are very important to this question. Use this link:

Reading the blink codes - MIMA Honda Insight Modified Integrated Motor Assist

to read the P1449 blink codes. Some are recoverable for a while.

·
Super Moderator
8,677 Posts
Woops. Didn't catch that. As Rosa Rosanna Dana used to say - never mind:(

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I hate to be a broken record, but have you ever had any of the numerous software updates done at a Honda dealer?
Keep in mind that the warranty on the IMA system is 8 years and 80,000 miles in most states. (10 years & 150,000 miles in CARB states)
Doesn’t sound like it gets driven much. This is NOT the vehicle for light use or long times between uses. Use it or lose it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I just reread the post and I guess the model year is not disclosed. I somehow thought it was a 2010. I guess there must have been another 2010 discussed today I mixed it up with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes this is a 2000 Honda Insight. I haven’t had a chance to read the blink codes. But it must appear I will be looking at a battery replacement, huh? One thing to note is I’ve been driving with the undercarriage dust and water splash guard off after the last oil change. Never put that back on. Is that a bad decision? I’ll go read blink codes ASAP - thank you everyone for your info and input.

·
Super Moderator
5,217 Posts
Thread moved to G1 Forum

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,217 Posts
None of the other stuff matters, like sunshade, underpanels, etc. This is a weak IMA battery. I assume you haven't been grid charging. You need to do this ASAP.

Meanwhile, you can reset it (pull the #16 fuse (tall pink 30A one) under the hood and count to 10) and it will work for a while. This is NOT a fix. Just a delay while you're getting set up for grid charging.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
5,217 Posts
http://www.hybridautomotive.com

Value reconditioning package.

You'll need this even if you end up replacing the battery. Regular grid charging (2X/year for a good battery) will keep it alive a lot longer.

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
http://www.hybridautomotive.com

Value reconditioning package.

You'll need this even if you end up replacing the battery. Regular grid charging (2X/year for a good battery) will keep it alive a lot longer.

Sam
I second this recommendation; however, a code blink should be done before you commit (link in my signature). If you don't have P1449 (78 ), you likely have problems that can't be fixed with any grid charger. Even then, it's a gamble.

Best to measure your voltage taps after the battery sits overnight. If you have a completely dead cell, grid charging won't work:

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum...during-recal-up-date-options.html#post1353018

1 - 13 of 13 Posts