Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (to me) '01 Insight (~68k miles) thinks it has a problem. A few days ago the Check Engine light came on. I didn't get around to pulling the codes right away to find out what's up. Today, the IMA light came on. I pulled the codes and I have the following:

IMA code 77
EPS code 23
ABS code 61

The check engine light didn't flash any codes at all, so not sure what's up there. Perhaps it was triggered by the other codes? Don't know. Other than these lights the car seems to run just fine, I am getting 70+mpg easy, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, where can I get a service manual? I don't have one and so have no idea what these codes mean.

Oh, I have an appointment for next Wednesday to bring the car to Honda, but I'd like to pre-diagnose as much as possible so I have a clue when I go in there. You know how it is.

Thank you!

·
Registered
102 Posts
EVFan -

Please give us more info, like MT or CVT. Have there been any other symptoms?

IMA code 77 = P1447, Battery Module Deterioration
EPS code 23 = problem with engine speed signal circuit
ABS code 61= Low FSR +B voltage

The first thing the dealer is going to do is reset the DTCs and see if they come on again. Code 61 looks like a loose or dirty electrical connection, and might be nothing. Same with code 23, IMO. I've seen all those codes in my Insight. Code 77 is the worst. Eventually, it will probably come on and stay on, and you'll need a new battery pack, under warranty.

Oh and try helminc for a service manual.

HTH
- Jim

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. This is a manual transmission. There have been no symptoms whatsoever. Car seems to run just great.

Do you think I should reset 'em (what's the best procedure?) and cancel my appointment for Wednesday? I hate to give them a couple hundred bucks just to reset the codes and tell me to come back later. If they do come back, I can always reschedule.

Thanks for the info on the service manual as well. I'll buy one so I can more accurately work on my car and diagnose symptoms.

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you like/trust the dealer service, then do NOT clear the codes. It looks like your car may still be under warranty and an IMA code 77 will get you a new battery and BCM. It especially important with IMA codes because when they are cleared they are gone forever.

The ABS code may be result of IMA problems and a weak 12V battery. If the EPS is not under warranty, I would clear it and see if comes back. But don't do anything until you find out if your IMA is still under warranty.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. IMA is definitely under warranty. I'll leave the codes be, then. I have no idea if I can trust the Honda service department here, this is my first Honda & I bought it from out of town so I have exactly zero experience with the dealership. That said, they seem intelligent and responsive on the phone so I have high hopes.

Thank you! I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Codes

Good Morning,
I am a new member & a new owner of a 2001 Insight. I love the car. Check engine light has gone on twice. With the advice of the previous owner I went ot Autozone (SF, California) who checked codes for no cost. In my case I need a new oxygen sensor. Honda Dealer and other repair companies quoted me $125.00 just to check the codes - and replacement of the sensors could range from $100-300.00 - various internet sights are less expensive. Appears sensors are plugin and easily replaced if one knows what and where to plugin. How can I obtain a definitive list of all sensors, codes and related problems? I am out of warranty and my experience with Honda dealers is they benchmark the Insight relative to the Civic - mechanics just don't have that in depth knowledge of the car.
Thanks for comments back in advance.
L

·
Registered
43 Posts
L The O2 sensors are easy to replace. I had both of mine out last week and removed my converter to "fix it". It only took about a half hour from start to finish. To simply change out a sensor it should only take a few minutes. One tip, if you are replacing the top sensor (the one closest to the engine) you need to push the little release button on the plug and slide it off the bracket that holds it to the engine. The plug will not pull apart until you remove it from the bracket. Honda uses this type of plug and a number of areas. I read somewhere that one owner bought a sensor at Napa.

Here are some codes if you are using a ODB11 tool.

http://yves.fungiart.com/pages/pcodes.htm

Dave

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI, update on my situation: They're installing a brand new battery pack on Tuesday. No charge. Yay! I always like it when I escape from an automotive situation without having to shell out my own money.

On the oxygen sensor, they're ripping you off on that code reading charge. It takes 30 seconds to plug in a reader and pull the codes. I wish I could get $125 for 30 seconds worth of work, LOL! You can pull the codes yourself without a scanner, search the forum, there is a procedure listed involving a paperclip and counting the blinks on the lights. Or, spend the $125 on an OBD-II scanner instead of at the scummy sounding repair shop and then you can pull the codes as often as you like quick & easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts