Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice increased mpg using premium or ethanol free gas? I can get ethanol free 91, it's usually about $0.80 more per gallon though. Thoughts?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Anyone notice increased mpg using premium or ethanol free gas? I can get ethanol free 91, it's usually about $0.80 more per gallon though. Thoughts?
A gallon of E10 has 96.7 percent of the energy in one gallon of gasoline, according to the DOE's Alternative Fuels Data Center. That means E10 gas fractionally lowers real-world gas mileage. ... That means a car that sports a 30 mpg EPA combined figure is already hampered from achieving that miles-per-gallon number
AKA, not worth the extra $$$

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/12/another-reason-your-mileage-may-vary-for-the-worse-ethanol/

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
I ran a test on real gas in a G1 a few years back. It was worth a couple of MPG, but we are talking a baseling of 114MPG and a 116MPG result. Certainly not worth the trouble in a G2 or a G3. Not really worth the cost differential even for a G1.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Convenience store chain Rutters now carries E-free at some of their stores (in PA). Having used mid-grade for years in my Silver, I'm giving the E-free a trial run.

I need an 8% increase in mpg to break even.

Only on the 2nd tank, the jury is still out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have some cars that I don't drive in the winter here in New York and for them I always fill with non Ethanol because the water attraction. I also use the non eth fuel in all my yard equipment.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Convenience store chain Rutters now carries E-free at some of their stores (in PA). Having used mid-grade for years in my Silver, I'm giving the E-free a trial run.

I need an 8% increase in mpg to break even.

Only on the 2nd tank, the jury is still out.

Update:

Finished 2nd tank: 12% increase in mpg (tank mileage) compared to same time last year. Using same pump.

Break even point is compared to cost of mid-grade E-15 I usually use in the mt.

Now to see if it's a consistent increase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update:

Finished 2nd tank: 12% increase in mpg (tank mileage) compared to same time last year. Using same pump.

Break even point is compared to cost of mid-grade E-15 I usually use in the mt.

Now to see if it's a consistent increase.
Ethanol-free gas now becoming easier to find around here, 90 or 91 octane. I get a few more MPG which, around here means keeping it above 60 MPG in winter, which is a psychological milestone. But it also seems to be kinder to the IMA battery, presumably because you can drive with a lighter foot, therefore keeping the SOC higher. My mower/generator cans are also ethanol-free which means less worry about long term storage and the fuel is totally interchangeable with small engines, plow truck, and Insight. Worth the extra money, in my situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ethanol-free gas now becoming easier to find around here, 90 or 91 octane. I get a few more MPG which, around here means keeping it above 60 MPG in winter, which is a psychological milestone. But it also seems to be kinder to the IMA battery, presumably because you can drive with a lighter foot, therefore keeping the SOC higher. My mower/generator cans are also ethanol-free which means less worry about long term storage and the fuel is totally interchangeable with small engines, plow truck, and Insight. Worth the extra money, in my situation.
PS I also have a '95 Dodge Ram with a big V8 which I keep for getting to work etc. when the roads here in Maine are really bad in winter. I don't drive it often so I put ethanol-free in this one too, now that it is easier to find. This has eliminated storage/starting concerns. Hard to put a dollar value on this. Always remember what our brothers and sisters pay for fuel in Europe. The yellow vests are very fashionable in Paris.

Looking ahead to all-electric. Hope I live to see it happen.

·
Registered
100 Posts
More ethanol = less energy. So E10 offers less energy per "explosion" in your engine than E0 (ethanol free). So basically, you should always get a mild increase in MPG with less ethanol in your car's drink.

Also, more octane = harder to burn. You want to keep to the minimum octane rating (I'm guessing 87). The higher the octane, the harder it is for your engine to ignite it, meaning worse MPG.

So, 87 ethanol free is the best you can get. E10 93 octane is the devil, avoid it.

(general cliffnote rant: ethanol is a scam, avoid it anyways. Corn lobbyists... blah)

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,165 Posts
More ethanol = less energy. So E10 offers less energy per "explosion" in your engine than E0 (ethanol free). So basically, you should always get a mild increase in MPG with less ethanol in your car's drink.
Yep. Tested that once in my Insight. Ethanol free was worth a couple of MPGs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts