Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Funny thing happened the other day on my commute... I was buzzing along at a not so efficient rate of 75-80 MPH, when I let off the gas (near 80+) and slowed to about 75. When I got back on the gas I was in lean burn mode, and the instant bar showed about 75-80 mpg... I stayed on the gas (I was on flat and level highway) and made sure I didn't decelerate. The car maintained this mileage for about a minute until I had to slow down...otherwise I didn't dip below 75, and perhaps accelerated to 76 or 77...

Has anyone else experienced this? I wish I got it more often....:p

Tim

(also...if you like the idea of this happening you should check the for sale section and buy my car...) :p

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
jat1793 said:
Newb question: how do you know if you are in lean-burn mode?
Easiest way of knowing . . . if you are cruising along and maintaining speed and your instant mpg readout shows somewhere between 100 and 150mpg, you are in lean burn mode. Only possible on a manual tranny Insight.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have experienced lean burn in the 70-80 mph range as well. It always occurs when your in a pack of fast moving traffic and/or behind a semi.

As for getting into lean burn... you'll first notice a loss of power when your holding the gas pedal steady and you'll start to decelerate. Then you'll notice that your mpg gauge is well over 100. You can give it more gas to keep your speed. As long as you keep the gauge above 75mpg, you'll stay in lean burn (until the computer kick you out of it).

·
Registered
99 Posts
"if you are cruising along and maintaining speed and your instant mpg readout shows somewhere between 100 and 150mpg"

So this means lean burn is only temporary? Lean burn is just for short periods of time of low power requirements? So this means that lean burn is used when you are, for example, slowly slowing down. Lean burn then isn't used the entire time you are on the highway, just sometimes, right? Is it like that for the older lean burn Hondas too?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It works mostly when you're going in the neighborhood of 50 mph or so, on pretty level ground. Even slight uphill grades make it tough to stay in lean burn.

Personally, I think there should be an indicator to show that you're in lean burn mode.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does this mean that every time it's over 100MPG it's in lean burn, even for momentarily? Or, do I have to be over the range for certain period of time? Is there any other indicators or senses that I can know for sure I am in lean burn?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Lean burn is basically anytime you come down from 100+ MPG and the MPG hangs at a higher level than it normally would. You can definitely tell you were in lean burn if a couple of minutes later the MPG drops to about 50 and the engine speeds up without changing the throttle. This is it dropping out of lean burn to purge NOX from the catalytic converters.

I dont know for sure about lean burn, but I can get ~70 MPG at 74-78 MPH just by drafting a minivan or pickup. You dont have to be dangerously close to a vehicle to get a drafting effect. I think the main benefit is just from them acting as a wind breaker when driving into the wind. I can sometimes get it into lean burn in this and get even better, but at those speeds it doesnt work well, the RPMs are too high to support LB

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another great way to tell if you're in lean burn for those who have a scangaugeII, watch you ignition advance. I find that when my car comes out of lean burn for a purge, I always see the IGN decrease significantly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts