Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than throwing off the speedometer and possible rubbing, are there any dangers associated with using a tire with a larger overall diameter specifically associated with the Insight? Specifically, will it mess up any of the IMA/ECU stuff?

I have a set of 195/60/R15 winter pirellis that came off my old Prelude that I don't want to just give up and I already spent 600 bones this year on the regular stock bridgestone hockey pucks.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
Hi Dan, do you also have some 15" wheels to go with your 15" tires?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Billy,

Yes I do. Standard Honda 4 bolt. Still not 100% sure if the offset is the same.

Dan

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Other than the obvious of increased drag causing more use of assist and quicker draining of both batteries and gas tank, I don't see any direct problems beyond what you pointed out.

However, with a tire that seriously oversized, I can't see how it could be any better than the stock tires in any condition. Why do you want to put these monsters on? Are your stock tires totally blown? Your post seems to indicate you just bought brand new OEM tires. Why not use those?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I already spent 600 bones this year on the regular stock bridgestone hockey pucks
$600????? Have you bought TWO sets this year????

·
Registered
338 Posts
IMHO

larger, non-low rolling resistance, directional, wider and lower profile tires have made a world of difference in handling, road feel, and ride comfort to a degree that I will never put stock tires back on.

again, IMHO.

:badgrin:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
With 195/60R15 tires the speedomer will read 8% too slow.
Diameter of the tires are 1.8" larger then stock.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Wider tires are terrible in deep snow because they float instead of digging through the snow and gripping the road.

Those wide tires will leave very little room between the tire and the rear wheel cover so in heavy/wet snow will accumulate and stress the rear wheel covers. It not cleared right after you arrive at your destination the slushy snow will freeze solid. Driving away with a huge block of solid ice between the tire and the wheel cover may damage them.

The 195/60R15 winter tire is a very popular size, I highly recommend selling them and buying narrow winter tires for your Insight.

Any winter tire in the following sizes will work well in snow and ice.
165/65R14
155/80R13
175/70R13
175/65R14

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your opinions. All very insightful (moan).

The reason why I asked is because

1. I live in Canada and have already been experiencing some traction issues with the stocks.

which,

2. explains why they were $600

and

3. They are sitting in my shed with little other use, other than for selling.

After taking in what everyone said, I think I'll experiment with the stocks for a month or so into the real snowfall and just take 5 psi or so out. I'm currently running at 40 psi all round.

I just didn't want to spend the money on another set while I have a set I could (possibly) use laying around.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Dan

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you don't feel like trying to sell the large winter tires, why not try trading them in at a tire shop for smaller winter tires?
Storing $600 worth of winter tires in the shed is a waste of money.

If you have ever driven with winter tires before you won't tolerate the OEM tires in winter conditions for long :badgrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts