Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 5speed with 97K miles, purchased 3 weeks ago. I have no history on the vehicle, but it appears to have been pampered.

Since purchase, I have noticed an excessive amount of "ticking" noise coming from the timing chain/#1 cylinder side of the engine - not horribly loud, but noticable unusual. I recently checked and reset all valve clearances, and found them in good order, closed several of the exhaust valves into spec - not out by far. This had little effect on the noise. I have also replaced the spark plugs as per standard Insight procedure.

Anyone experience this, or can suggest possible causes?

Also experiencing slightly rough idle - perhaps the nature of a 3-cylinder?

Thanks,
Hank

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Without actually being able to hear the "noise" (no a .wav won't do) there's little help that can be given on a forum.

As close as #1 is to the timing chain area I'd be concerned about something up in there. As far as internal to a cylinder see this recent discussion:

The Source of my Engine Piston Slap
http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=6435

HTH! :)

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
It might help.

We may be able to suggest some issues and a .WAV "may" help, but no promises ;) More information in the form of a sound file is certainly better than nothing if you are really stuck. There are lot's of posts on here about strange engine noises, have a good look around, most are normal :D

Peter

·
Premium Member
4,942 Posts
Appletree - looks like you forgot the :p (razz) smilie AND <sarcasm> tag in regard to your 90w "suggestion". ;) Most people would understand that such would rapidly destroy most automobile engines. But some may not :oops: :!:

Peter- Yes a .wav that was properly recorded to capture an accurately identifiable noise related to a particular component or "failure" would be quite helpful. Given the complexities and similarities of such noises there would necessairly need to be a written clairification of what was being heard and its peculiarities. E.g. cold engine, RPM, only under load etc. A very difficult task indeed. :)

IMO, the converse is NOT true. ;)

An inexpereinced member trying to capture an "unknown" sound is an oxymoron. And whatever the .wav may reveal could not be "trusted".

Of coure there is dumb luck :!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts