Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After giving up My 2000 5spd for the wife's lousy as in I really don't like it now 2001 CVT, so she could have her new car, I find it excessivly noisy as in a large amount of possable tire/bearing noise from left front. The car only has 23000 miles on it and My 5 spd was actualy a lot quieter even with 93000. Is more noise normal for a CVT transmission? Its a sort of a wheel bearing noise, which I can run on stands and clearly hear with a stethescope as either from wheel area or half shaft. I even swapped tires from poor MIZR prior to trading him in and noise was same. Maybe I got rid of the wrong car, dahmmm hindsight sucks!!!
I also notice the mileage realy is lower than MIZR was I can only manage about 47-50 on round trip drive to work (approximately 70 miles day) compared to MIZR's 62-68 is this normal for a CVT Insight? If so as soon as Honda releases a new version as projected in 2006 I will be in line.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Ecfool:

___I have only driven a CVT one time and it was such a long time ago that I wouldn’t be the person to speak with in regards to more or less noise in regards to the 5-speed. The reason I am posting is that although you seem to have pinpointed it to the front end - left side somewhere, when I added the rear Insight carpeted mat, she quieted down quite a bit from thumps in the suspension as well as general overall noise. It might be a psychological effect but I do believe she quieted down. By chance, did you have floor and a trunk mat in MIZR that aren’t in the CVT currently?

___As for mileage, without lean burn, I would easily lose ~ 25 mpg myself so your 15 - 18 mpg loss might be just about right given the EPA estimates for the CVT on the highway are 14 below that of the 2000 5-speed …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1q21s0my][email protected][/email:1q21s0my]

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actualy no floor mat but had the whole cargo box full of sub woolfers and the rear deck was kinda filled with amps,crossovers,and digital sound processor which I am going to install in this Insight now just redoing mounting board and getting new amps with a little more boost. Who says old men cant enjoy kids toys??

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a 2002 CVT with 16K miles and I have no front end noise at all. Could the noise posibly be a bad CV joint? Is it a clicking noise when turning or is the noise there all the time? I'm averaging about 54-55 mpg now during the warm weather with a 51 mpg lifetime. Cold weather here in north east is tough on mpg.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your noise and mileage could be related if there is a problem with the front end. I've averaged 58-60mpg in my 2001 CVT on a 72 mile commute for almost a year. Tire noise is about the only thing I can hear and it is not excessive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2001 CVT. Only noise I notice is when first started, for a few minutes, sort of a whine. Sounds to me like charging. I have been an aircraft mechanic forever, and this noise is not the kind that causes concern. CVT's will never get the same mileage because no lean burn, that said, if driven like a normal car at high speeds, they will get about the same as a 5 speed since you will not get lean burn at 75 plus mph in traffic that is always slowing/accelerating (Dallas). I drive mine like any other car, am not afraid of using AC or going fast. I drive 55 miles each way, at around 70 to 80 mph. No AC, and two people with baggage (wifes purses - dont ask) I get 52 mpg, with AC about 49. My wife driving closer to speed limit always gets 56 to 60 no AC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have had a 2000 5 speed and now own a 2002 CVT. With the radio off and no other nois the CVT transmission makes a slight humming, whining sort of noise which is normal as I have read about it somewhere. It is probably the CVT belt. the transmission is on the drivers side so my guess is that is the noise. I have 15,000 miles on mine and have the lifetime at 59.9. The lifetime on the 5 speed was 67. Difference is not haveing the lean burn and the CVT is heavier. It is rated at sulev vs ulev on the 5 spee.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts