Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Insight with Manual Transmission and A/C
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading from several threads here that the Exedy KHC11 is the go-to clutch kit for the G1 Insight, I've struck out twice. The first order from an Amazon seller was canceled saying it was out of stuck. Just now, my second order was followed by a phone call from a retailer saying their supplier told them Exedy has discontinued the KHC11. Has anyone else heard this? What's a second choice if the KHC11 is unavailable?

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I bought a "Brute Power/Perfection" clutch kit from RockAuto back in 2017, and it turned out to be an Exedy. Might try that. I see a kit by Perfection at RockAuto now, has the same image as back when I bought it (but that image is not what I got looks like). My kit was this: BRUTE POWER/PERFECTION CLUTCH 92571. Here's a link to what's at RockAuto now, that looks the same though the number is different: More Information for PERFECTION CLUTCH MU721171

edit: here's a link to the thread I created when I went down this path: clutch kit, 'Brute Power' brand?

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,107 Posts
My kit was this: BRUTE POWER/PERFECTION CLUTCH 92571. Here's a link to what's at RockAuto now, that looks the same though the number is different: More Information for PERFECTION CLUTCH MU721171
Any issues with the pressure plate? In the past I've ordered a couple of the Exedy's, and both times I got an incorrectly sized pressure plate. (ended up just re-using my originals in both cases)

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
^ It's been a while, and I never actually installed that clutch (previous one turned out to be an Exedy replacement with little wear, so I just left it in), but, as I recall, the pressure plate was the right one and had "Honda" embossed into the metal... I should have it in a box in the garage, I'll go look into it and report back...

edit: yeah, the pressure plate is stilled sealed in a bag, but I can make out "Honda" embossed on it, don't know whether that proves it's OK for sure, but seems a positive sign. Here's an image of this kit, "Honda" is located at the tip of the pen in the image:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rock Auto is showing it as not available...

Hopefully Honda keeps making them for us.

Exedy or Honda OEM are the only two clutches worth installing.

Reactions: TopFuelTim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received confirmation from Exedy that the kit is discontinued. Here's what they said:

" . . . yes the KHC11 has been discontinued and is no longer available from EXEDY. You might still find something in the channel if you contact retailers."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In some of the stock photos of the kit, there looks to be a small tube of grease. In other photos, there is no grease. Where is this supposed to go when replacing the clutch?

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,107 Posts
In some of the stock photos of the kit, there looks to be a small tube of grease. In other photos, there is no grease. Where is this supposed to go when replacing the clutch?
I believe that's to help get the pilot bearing in place.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the kit being unavailable, would it be a bad idea to do a replacement of just the bearings and clutch disk, while reusing the original pressure disk? I can get the parts piecemeal from hondapartsnow but that significantly increases the cost if I get everything that came in the exedy kit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
With the kit being unavailable, would it be a bad idea to do a replacement of just the bearings and clutch disk, while reusing the original pressure disk? I can get the parts piecemeal from hondapartsnow but that significantly increases the cost if I get everything that came in the exedy kit.
I think folks go this route sometimes. Since I have only installed three clutch kits in my life I hope that others will chime in. I just ordered a Rhinopac kit from Carid today, but it will not be here until January 20. It is supposed to be made in the USA. I will let you know how it looks and can do a visual comparison with OEM Honda.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The disc is the part that wears, the pressure plate and flywheel being true and smooth will prevent chatter.

A top notch clutch job means having the flywheel machined and replacing the pressure plate, disc, throw out and pilot bearings.

A low budget job on a beater is replace the disc and sand the flywheel and pressure plate and hope for the best.

Cheap clutch kits just "feel" crappy. too much pedal effort, clutch engagement at the floor... Just not worth it if you are going to keep the car and daily drive it for a few years.

Exedy is gone so the only answer is use OEM, hell they last 100,000 miles or more, even at $400 in parts, the cost per mile is very low!

·
Premium Member
00 MT
7 Posts
A couple months ago I started getting more clutch shudder right before a big roadtrip. Couldn't get the Exedy in time so I ordered a Sachs. Didn't end up installing it before the trip (but did to the MC), and when I got back I looked in the box and discovered that it's.. just an Exedy.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
With the kit being unavailable, would it be a bad idea to do a replacement of just the bearings and clutch disk, while reusing the original pressure disk?
I asked about that once, and Peter P. said the 'fingers' on the pressure plate get really stiff or something like that, that you really should replace the pressure plate, that it makes a noticeable difference.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts