Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to pull the trigger and bought the Tanabe Medalion Touring axle back exhaust. Fits great, and looks fine. However, it's not as loud as I thought it'll be. At cold start, I could hear the deep rumble for a couple seconds, but other than that; it's quiet unless it hits ~4-5000rpm. Any ideas on how to make it louder at lower RPM? I'm thinking a CAI?

Also noticed the MPG drop. Dropped about ~4-6mpg. Will upload sound clip soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I decided to pull the trigger and bought the Tanabe Medalion Touring axle back exhaust. Fits great, and looks fine. However, it's not as loud as I thought it'll be. At cold start, I could hear the deep rumble for a couple seconds, but other than that; it's quiet unless it hits ~4-5000rpm. Any ideas on how to make it louder at lower RPM? I'm thinking a CAI?

Also noticed the MPG drop. Dropped about ~4-6mpg. Will upload sound clip soon.
CAI wont made you car sound any better on cold start. I'm not surprise your MPG drop, since you are losing back pressure from a exhaust system.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
With the 3 cats the exhaust is rather muffled. Even if you remove the muffler it isnt that loud as a conventional vehicle.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Your exhaust is probably 2 cats, 1 resonator, and 1 muffler. No reason for 3 cats.
THE REASONATOR TAKE AWAY A LOT OF NOISE.

WILLIE

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your exhaust is probably 2 cats, 1 resonator, and 1 muffler. No reason for 3 cats.
THE REASONATOR TAKE AWAY A LOT OF NOISE.

WILLIE
So if I wanted to make it louder, shall I try to do a Resonator Delete? I did some research, and people were saying if I took the Resonator off, there will be alot of interior noise (drone).

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Not sure on the G2 noises.
I would assume YES it will be louder.

HTH
Willie

·
3,641 Posts
It has been a few years since I have driven a Gen 2, but if the engine RPM behavior is anything like my other CVTs (Camry Hybrid, Lexus RX400h), then accentuating the exhaust note is going to be a horrible idea. :(

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It has been a few years since I have driven a Gen 2, but if the engine RPM behavior is anything like my other CVTs (Camry Hybrid, Lexus RX400h), then accentuating the exhaust note is going to be a horrible idea. :(
In Sport mode the 7 fixed gear ratios should take care of that. It is a flappy paddle music box.

·
3,641 Posts
That's right, my bad! The EX has the paddle shifters with the artificial shift point simulation.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
With the paddles you get 2 sets of 7 ratios depending if you are in sport or drive. In drive it will revert to the highest ratio if the load is reduced rather you are braking or accelerating. If the load is still there for braking or accelerating it will hold that ratio. In sport unless you select a ratio the rpms hover around 3 grand vs the highest ratio and it engine brakes vs close the valves to coast.

Anyhoo, I lost 3-5 mpg, but gained on the top end. Before it seemed the little engine would hyperventilate when you went above 4 grand to redline and became gutless. With the straight pipe it catches a second wind and hauls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts