Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you driving in temperatures below 20deg., what kind of mileage are you getting? It was 4 deg. this morning and I had a really hard time keeping 50 mpg. I have a manual with 240,000 on it. I drive mostly freeway speeds (50 to 65). Very few lights. I use Mikes' battery charger to maintain. I changed the spark plugs last night thinking this would help and it's only the second time (that I know of) that they have been changed. It made no difference.

·
Registered
737 Posts
For those of you driving in temperatures below 20deg., what kind of mileage are you getting? It was 4 deg. this morning and I had a really hard time keeping 50 mpg. I have a manual with 240,000 on it. I drive mostly freeway speeds (50 to 65). Very few lights. I use Mikes' battery charger to maintain. I changed the spark plugs last night thinking this would help and it's only the second time (that I know of) that they have been changed. It made no difference.
Wednesday morning I had 7F and I got 73 mpg on the way to work and this morning it was 12F and I got 76 mpg. I was on country roads at 40-45 mph for top speeds and I left the engine running while I coasted up to the known stops on my route. I'm running Blizzack WS60 P175 65 14's mounted on OEM Insight rims. At 25F with the original Potenza's I have hit 110-120 mpg on the same route.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More on your mods.

Thanks Larry- What are the first 3 things you have listed as mods? I'm all ears on how you get that kind of mileage. I travel 35 miles each way exactly the same every day.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Thanks Larry- What are the first 3 things you have listed as mods? I'm all ears on how you get that kind of mileage. I travel 35 miles each way exactly the same every day.
Like diamondlarry, I use the warm air mod too (listed in my signature with the Insighter whose method I used.) Use the search mode and look up these, Larry's, and others' mods to learn how to implement them.

I got 65 mpg round trip (100 miles total) yesterday to/from work while it was 8 deg F (-13C).

I keep my tires at 65 psi (re92), but am VERY mindful of high tire pressure on snowy roads.

..Bob

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I only got 65-66 MPG today on the way to work, 10F outside air temp! And a strong head wind. Tires around 44, warm air mod, full lower grill block, 80% upper block, 45 MPH, country roads for 30 miles, city for 10 miles, only about 10 stop lights, little traffic. This tank now has about 250 miles on it, and around 67MPG.

I can't say that I have seen any benefit with the warm air mod......maybe because it is a CVT and does not have lean burn?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wednesday morning I had 7F and I got 73 mpg on the way to work and this morning it was 12F and I got 76 mpg. I was on country roads at 40-45 mph for top speeds and I left the engine running while I coasted up to the known stops on my route. I'm running Blizzack WS60 P175 65 14's mounted on OEM Insight rims. At 25F with the original Potenza's I have hit 110-120 mpg on the same route.
Do you have details that you can share related to your FAS circuit?

Thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
Do you have details that you can share related to your FAS circuit?

Thanks
It basically just interrupts power to the fuel injectors. All 3 injectors share a common power source and the ECU controls the injector by switching each injector's ground. I just spliced in a relay in the power source and ran one wire into the cabin to a switch that leads to ground to control the relay. So at whatever speed I decide to FAS, I just push in the clutch, shift to neutral, and push the button and the engine dies in about 1-2 seconds. All Auto-Stop features still work to restart the engine; shift into gear, brake booster vacuum gets too low, etc.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It basically just interrupts power to the fuel injectors. All 3 injectors share a common power source and the ECU controls the injector by switching each injector's ground. I just spliced in a relay in the power source and ran one wire into the cabin to a switch that leads to ground to control the relay. So at whatever speed I decide to FAS, I just push in the clutch, shift to neutral, and push the button and the engine dies in about 1-2 seconds. All Auto-Stop features still work to restart the engine; shift into gear, brake booster vacuum gets too low, etc.
Is there any chance that you could provide additional details like pictures or a schematic? I am very interested in having FAS but don't really understand where to start on this. Right now I just turn the car on and off and I would like to avoid this if posisble.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I got 5.2L/100km [about 45mpg]
in -20C [-4F] temps on a long X-mas trip using warm air intake [-26C to -3C drawing off exterior of catalytic converter heat shield], plus a couple layers of cardboard and tape are placed directly in front of the radiator and blocking gaps etc.
No Autostop is had at these temps even with sensor relocation but for a very few times crawling around in traffic in the city. [simple cheap warm air mod [+illustration] adapted from InsightfulTrekker and other sources was used.] I don't normally use Mima's FAS on ice to maintain better driving control and ability to utilize more regen.
fwiw: Check your tire pressures for losses when frigid conditions are met. H2O vapour in tire air freezes, quickly reducing pressures, hence economy's down for that and other reasons in the colder denser air of winter. I like to maintain a good tire contact patch for safety sake and some low rolling resistance winter tires may help in mileage dept.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is there any chance that you could provide additional details like pictures or a schematic? I am very interested in having FAS but don't really understand where to start on this. Right now I just turn the car on and off and I would like to avoid this if posisble.
I took some pictures on my phone while my son was doing the install but the phone has had some "technical difficulties" since then. I'll have to see if the pictures made it. Basically, there are two wires going to each injector. One of those wires will be the same color on all three injectors; that will be the power supply. I went back on the harness a little and cut those wires and put the relay in the circuit. On the harness/powered side of the connection, run a wire to the power supply terminal of the relay. Then run a wire from the remaining power supply terminal of the relay inside to a switch then run a wire from the switch to ground. I could try to sketch a schematic but I don't recall the colors of the various wires so it would be only a basic circuit outline.

·
6,929 Posts
On long commutes, you can get 60-75mpg even with temperatures as low as -5 degrees in my experience, with only a radiator block. Under decent conditions, of course.

On short commutes of less than 10 miles, it starts to get difficult. 45-60mpg.

On even shorter commutes, 45-50mpg.

If it's snowy and you have snow tires on, 45-50mpg.

If it's super rainy, 45-50mpg.

If you're diamondlarry, add 20mpg to all of those.

:p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts