Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone:

I got a Prolong battery charger for my 2003 Honda Insight but don't have the courage/skills to actually install the harness, etc. Is there anyone who does this in the Seattle area? I took the charger to my mechanic (they're great guys) but they declined to do the installation for liability issues. Ditto NW Auto Repair, which is listed on Prolong's web site as one of their dealers ...

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Look up "BumbleBee Battery" on the forum. They are in Portland, OR
Hi Everyone:

I got a Prolong battery charger for my 2003 Honda Insight but don't have the courage/skills to actually install the harness, etc. Is there anyone who does this in the Seattle area? I took the charger to my mechanic (they're great guys) but they declined to do the installation for liability issues. Ditto NW Auto Repair, which is listed on Prolong's web site as one of their dealers ...
Try this forum member BumbleBee Battery. He's in Portland, OR and very reliable.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,602 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll try Bumblebee. Note that I'm not looking for a new/reconditioned battery for my 2003 G1, just want someone to install the Prolong battery charger harness for me (per https://hybridautomotive.com/install/ instructions) so that I can hook up my Prolong charger to keep my battery happy.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
11,602 Posts
Bumblebee is a "Prolong" charger dealer, so they would be your best bet.
Eli is a trusted INSIGHTER for many years.

·
Registered
2002 Monte Carlo Blue CVT
958 Posts
I too was reluctant to attempt to install a Prolong Grid charger harness. I should not have been. It is dead simple to install with the instructions on Hybrid Automotive's website. You can do it.

Except that if you get your harness from Scott Kulbeck, he adds spade terminals to the fan wires in the charger harness. Those plug in to the crimp connectors supplied with the harness at a right angle and make removing the fan wires easy if you need to do that in the future. Because I had never seen that style of connector, I was baffled. I reached out to Scott with a question and he cleared things right up. But for that little hiccup (for something that actually made the install easier) it was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It’s only a matter of hand size. My hands are quite large so slipping the wires together down inside was a bit of a challenge, but the process is straightforward. Once you throw the main switch on the top of the battery case and lock it in the off position with the little red toggle stopper, it’s a pair of wires, on to two prongs, and the two wires popped off the prongs added to the the new connect prongs. Other than that, the rest of the operation is easy.

Wiring an old lamp, threading the wire through the metal pipe(s) is much more difficult.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I found a local auto electric shop that's willing to install the Prolong harness, so fingers crossed (I take it in tomorrow).

·
Registered
958 Posts
Get them to use T taps for the fan wire connections and have them install spade terminals on the fan wires. If you got the harness from Scott K, it probably already has them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Get them to use T taps for the fan wire connections and have them install spade terminals on the fan wires. If you got the harness from Scott K, it probably already has them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts