Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Thanks for that...

Blech... I would go out of my mind with the shift in and out of EV mode at highway cruise. Hello unnecessary battery cycles.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Bigger battery may make it work better?
I doubt it. I just don't see the point of a battery charging itself up and then discharging itself when the car is at a steady state constant speed.

First, all that does is add cycles to the battery - more wear, shorter life.

Second, energy conversion is always lossy. The energy stored by the battery is less than the kinetic energy available from using the burned gas for motion. Then taking that stored energy in the battery and then driving the wheels - more losses.

It's a complex system. I suspect this operation is required by some nuance of the design where gearing/speed push the ICE into a range that's not as efficient, so it alternates between operating the ICE at a higher power setting where it burns more efficiently and stores the excess energy with a periodic termination of the ICE to consume the excess stored energy. It really feels like they had to tweak it post-design because they didn't account for something.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The generator needs a clutch and they need to gear the final drive to be most efficient at 75mph (the speed most people drive on the freeway) but they tune everything to the epa cycle.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Thanks for the pointer to the new video. I had watched all the other ones previously.

I've been impressed with the new Accord hybrid system ever since learning about it. Apparently the 2012 Civic hybrid was the first to use this system, and has been refined in the 2017 Accord. I was really looking forward to a plug-in version but it appears they are planning to do that only on the Clarity platform. However, Clarity platform is not pleasing to my eyes, especially the rear. Reminds me of circa 1998 Ford Taurus.

The way this works seems similar to a hypermiling technique that usually only works in city driving for Prius. The larger battery capacity and output power enables them to automatically apply this technique even on the highway. ICE running at freeway speeds cannot apply energy output 100% efficiently to the wheels. No matter what there's excess energy wasted when gas engine is running. Capture this excess energy and store it in the battery instead of just letting it go to waste. Then opportunistically turn off the gas engine and put that stored excess energy to maintain vehicle velocity. This strategy combined with a more efficient engine that doesn't need to be as powerful results on average 11mpg higher on the highway than pure gas engine.

I guess we'll only find out long term viability of the Lithium batteries once these cars get old enough to start wearing down. I hope for Honda's sake they have much more sophisticated battery management so these batteries will have failure rates at least as low as previous generation Prii.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Apparently the 2012 Civic hybrid was the first to use this system, and has been refined in the 2017 Accord.
Nope.

The 2012 HCH is just the same ol' IMA with an ultra compact lithium pack instead of the old NiMH.

I drove one of these new Accord hybrids at Insightfest courtesy of Honda of America. Great ride! The hybrid system is very smooth. And possibly great gas mileage, but I was too busy testing the pickup and handling to go any better than 44 mpgs!

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
17 cords

I have to say, well I don't have to but I will anyways, I'm not impressed.
15 years of hybrid and honda is still at 50 mpg. That is half of where it should be today.
What is wrong with this picture?

Also what is the sticker?
Is that saying anything else?

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
Nope.
I drove one of these new Accord hybrids at Insightfest courtesy of Honda of America. Great ride! The hybrid system is very smooth. And possibly great gas mileage, but I was too busy testing the pickup and handling to go any better than 44 mpgs!
Did you check the oil? I did! I thought my illustrious steeler was the only one that consistently overfilled oil. Looks like I was WRONG concerning that to the tune of 1/2 to a full qt over.
damn

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well 50 mpg with 0 to 60 in 7 sec and 2000 extra pounds is progress. The only way to make a huge leap is some new battery technology or lots more money

·
vote 4 mawah
275 Posts
Well 50 mpg with 0 to 60 in 7 sec and 2000 extra pounds is progress. The only way to make a huge leap is some new battery technology or lots more money
If you say so, progress YAY

·
Registered
850 Posts
I agree industry wide there could have been a lot more progress. Heck a lot of this progress has come due to regulations in the first place. If the manufacturer's didn't have fleet fuel efficiency targets to meet, they'd just keep doing the same old pointless refreshes year after year from one ugly profile to the next.

In regards to the current competition, the Accord hybrid drivetrain does impressively balance fuel efficiency and driveability. As plug-ins become more prevalent, they'll play in that same arena, enabled by their larger more powerful battery packs and associated electric motors. We all know the Prius driveability is crap. The Ioniq is TBD, but early reports from Korea do not sound promising. Rode in Volt this past weekend for the first time, and that thing has some pull! But it only gets 42mpg on gas vs the larger Accord's 47mpg.

Hopefully the increasing competition among hybrid/plug-in manufacturers will get us to substantially more impressive fuel efficiency and performance in the coming decade.

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
I have to say, well I don't have to but I will anyways, I'm not impressed.
15 years of hybrid and honda is still at 50 mpg. That is half of where it should be today.
What is wrong with this picture?

Also what is the sticker?
Is that saying anything else?
On what do you base that? The laws of thermodynamics aren't going to rewrite themselves. ICE's aren't going to get much more efficient.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts