Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two days ago the passenger side door on our 2000 Insight was iced shut. So my hubby went to open the door and when he pulled on it the handle broke off! It is plastic and I wondered if anyone had ever tried to glue one back on before and what type of glue they had luck with. I really don't want to have to buy the whole handle/lock insert and have it installed to the tune of mega bucks. Any recommendations/ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Linsight Designer
2,177 Posts
Glue won't hold up to the abuse, nor would it be possible to glue it properly without removing the handle assembly... you should buy a used assembly and install it yourself. The insight is very easy to work on and even if you have no prior experience, you should be able to replace the handle with just a few hand tools. The complete service manual is available for free on this website (stickied).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Honestly, I appreciate it and will take your suggestion to heart, but in my stubbornness to save some bucks, will see if anyone has tried a glue or some sort of bonding agent on this type of plastic. If I can't find any that will do the job, then my final resort will have to be replacing the whole thing at some point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wondering...

I guess the second part of my reply is -- I wonder how many used assemblies are even out there? Considering it is a car that is not even produced in this form anymore and one that owners hang on to forever!

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
I think the door handle is one of the harder items to replace on an Insight. There is a clip on the lock cylinder that if you don't get released you can't get the handle off.
If you need a used handle I may have one the correct color for sale.
Also, if you get a handle and need it installed you could try a local body shop in your area. Their labor rates are about half of most dealership service departments and they do that kind of thing all the time.

HTH,
Scott

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
Actually on the train on the way to the airport, it's allowing me to answer while I commute. ?

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
I guess the second part of my reply is -- I wonder how many used assemblies are even out there? Considering it is a car that is not even produced in this form anymore and one that owners hang on to forever!

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182059241662 or contact member ddhollon who sells all kinds of Insight parts.
Might as well buy a replacement. Buying a good quality epoxy to take a chance at repair will set you back at least $10 with no guarantees.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If the door handle is ABS (I think it is) it can be welded back together with a couple drops of acetone.

Just moisten both side of the break with acetone then press the parts together. Should hold its own weight with in 2-5 minutes. Wait 24 hours for the joint to fully cure. Should be nearly as strong as before.

Acetone is a very sound way to repair ABS plastics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Scott -- for the info and the body shop tip! Really appreciate it!! If I end up needing the handle (in silver) and interested in buying it, I will let you know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ryanthegreat1 -- Yes, I believe it is ABS plastic and I may even have some Weld-On left from my last plexiglas project if it hasn't all evaporated. It is definitely worth a try before I throw some money at it (BTW I am not "cheap" just frugal). In the meantime, it's just as easy to open it from the inside once the driver gets in and unless you look closely at it, you can't really tell from the outside. Thanks for the tips!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts