Honda Insight Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The climate control panel on my most recent gen 1 insight (2000 MT) has a pimple molded in just below and between the defrost and recirculation buttons. It is like a Braille dot. The other 5 gen 1 insights I have owned did not have this blemish. Is this car from Mars or what?
Hi there. When I customized my dashboard with the CF vinyl, I unbolted the accessories from the panel. When I reassembled it, I accidentally tightened one screw too tight and it formed a "dimple" or pimple. That might be what happened to yours, somebody may have tightened it too much.

Does your pimple stick outward? Or is it inwards? If outwards, then my explanation is probably the answer. If inwards, then I don't know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The pimple is an outie, not an innie, so I guess you are right and somebody overtightened something to create the blemish. Sure looks like something intentional, though. Thanks for your thoughtful answer. I do like the concept of carz from Marz. Stephen King (a fellow Mainer) wrote a story about a spooky Buick Eight that had a different number of portholes on the left front fender than on the right.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Sure not a problem. Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of the blemish without replacing the panel.
Luckily for me, when I work with EuroBoutique to get a CF replacement panel, they assured me this pimple and scratches will be sanded out when they use the piece as a mold for the carbon fiber panel. So for me, I don't have to worry about it. You can either ignore it, or just get a new panel, or hide it with some vinyl like I did no mine.
Mine was accident when reassembling the panel and I didn't realize I tightened it that tight till I saw the pimple on the other side. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's freaking hot, I want maximum AC.
Press auto and turn the temperature dial all the way to 60. The interior of the car will likely be hot at this point so you will probably want to hit the recirculation button so that outside air is used and crack the windows to blow the hot air out. After you get the car cooled down you may wish to turn the temperature back up and use econ mode to maximize fuel economy.
I've gotta question this, although I'm not exactly familiar with an Insight firsthand (yet). If the cabin is say, 110 degrees, and your desired temp is 72 degrees, why would putting it on 60 make it cool any faster? This defeats the purpose of automatic climate control. Won't the ACC cool at its maximum rate regardless of bottoming out the unit at 60, or the actual desired temperature of 72?

This is something my girlfriend used to do and it drove me nuts. When my car is set to auto, she'd max her zone at 82 degrees if the car was cold, or bottom it out at 60 in the summer. The car doesn't heat or cool any faster - I leave my side at 70-72 all the time and it heats/cools at the same rate.

Maxing the temp down to 60 degrees just seems to be something that people are used to from cars with manual climate control. But if the Insight operates differently, I'm all ears! :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was just wondering does G1's need A/C recharging like other vehicles? I live in Texas and it gets pretty hot. I am thinking my filter needs replaced being a used (new to me) vehicle. Otherwise this thread is helping me figure out the system.

·
Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Our AC is no different from any other car. NO car NEEDS recharging. Unless it has a leak. Freon is not a consumable resource. But if it isn't getting cool enough, recharge it. You'll have to do this more and more often until you get fed up and find the leak.

The filter is another matter. A dirty filter will restrict the air flow. Change it now so you will know its status.

Sam

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did not know that could be a leak. I think it is fine for cooling, but my mother was the one that thought it needed a recharge since she was told all vehicles here in the hot weather do so I was asking about it. Thank you for the information rainsux

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a question about the climate control panel. My car, it is apparently broken! My climate control panel does not turn on. (I have ordered a new one). But I have a question.

I have not had auto-stop work since I bought the car. Will replacing the climate control panel re-enable auto stop? (assuming all sensors work) As far so I am aware no engine trouble codes (that I have) would effect auto-stop.
Just puzzled by the lack of auto stop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a question about the climate control panel. My car, it is apparently broken! My climate control panel does not turn on. (I have ordered a new one). But I have a question.

I have not had auto-stop work since I bought the car. Will replacing the climate control panel re-enable auto stop? (assuming all sensors work) As far so I am aware no engine trouble codes (that I have) would effect auto-stop.
Just puzzled by the lack of auto stop.
New climate control panel fixed auto stop. My AC actually works as well. So happy!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Press auto and turn the temperature dial all the way to 60. The interior of the car will likely be hot at this point so you will probably want to hit the recirculation button so that outside air is used and crack the windows to blow the hot air out. After you get the car cooled down you may wish to turn the temperature back up and use econ mode to maximize fuel economy.
I think there is a typo here since hitting the recirculation mode prevents hot air from coming in and to cool the inside air instead of cooling the outside hot air. Most car manuals say to do this in order to get maximum cooling and some cars default to this when you hit the "Max AC" button.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Pressing the recirculation button is not stateless :)

If he usually runs with recirculation on, pressing the recirc button gets him... fresh air.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have anyone ran into a problem with the A/C compressor not engaging?

I have ran through troubleshooting for A/C compressor as per Honda service manual and it pointed to a possible bad ECU.:(

Little background of what i check so far: all the fuses relating to HVAC system, A/C compressor relay, jump the terminal at the relay to activate the A/C compressor, Ground A17 at the ECM to send ground signal to activate the Compressor clutch relay (it worked), check A/C pressure with manifold gauge (pressure normal, when I jump A17 at the ECM to ground the running pressure is also normal), and checked A/C pressure switch. All working except for the ECM not giving the ground signal to the compressor clutch relay.

Right now when I command the A/C to turn on at the climate control panel, the ECM will command high idle and radiator/ condenser fan on.
If I ground A17 at the ECM to send ground signal to activate the Compressor clutch relay turning on the A/C, it will blow cold and manifold gauge will show normal working condition with low side dropping below 40 psi and continue dropping and high side climbing.
After a while ECM will command A/C compressor off returning to normal idle and condenser fan off when it reach evaporator temp. which at that time the engine will straggle and stall because I have the A17 jumped so compressor remain on.

So it seems everything is acting normal except that the ECM is not sending out the ground signal to the compressor clutch relay to turn on the A/C

Anyone experienced this problem before?:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think there is a typo here since hitting the recirculation mode prevents hot air from coming in and to cool the inside air instead of cooling the outside hot air. Most car manuals say to do this in order to get maximum cooling and some cars default to this when you hit the "Max AC" button.
Yeah, I'm replying to a year-old post.

I don't believe there is a typo. You are correct in the steady state, but as the example makes clear later, we're talking about when we just get in a hot car. (Later it says "after you get the car cooled down.") When you slam the thermostat down to maximum blue (60 degrees) the CC automatically turns on recirc mode. But you just started the car, and the interior is 120 degrees. Rather than trying to cool off the 120 degree air from inside the car, you want to get FRESH (90 degree!) air until the cabin gets down to 90. Then go back to recirc mode. It would be neat if the CC did this automatically, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
39 Posts
To Summarize all pertinent info in this thread so far (thanks to contributors):

Ok, since climate control questions come up quite often here's a complete run down of the system.

The Insight comes with an automatic climate control system. Simply put you can select the temperature you wish the interior of the car to be and the car does the rest. However, most owners tend to want to have a more manual control over the climate control so that they can keep the best possible fuel economy. So here's a run down of things.

What each button does: (starting left top to right bottom)

Mode button:
This sets where air blows out. Press this button and you can toggle through several different modes from face, face feet, feet, feet defrost, defrost.

Fan button: This will manually set the fan speed. There are 4 different speeds.

Econ button: This turns the climate control to the economy mode. This will cycle the compressor on and off to maximize fuel economy. This mode will also allow the car to enter auto stop mode. When in auto stop the fan will shut off unless manually set. Press this button once more and it will switch from "ac on econ" to "ac off econ." This will make the compressor not come on. If the temperature dial is set all the way to 60 degrees this setting will vent exterior air in to the car. This setting will also operate the heater if the temperature dial is set to a higher temperature.

Temperature Dial: Adjusts the temperature of the air in the car. When completely left at cold lowest settable temperature is 60 degrees. When all the way to the right on hot maximum settable temperature is 90 degrees.

(Back down to bottom row at left)

Rear defroster: This turns on the electrical rear window defroster. This runs on a timer. The heating grid will stay on for 25 minutes then automatically power down. If the exterior temperature is below freezing (32 degrees) and the engine is not up to normal operating temperature the heating grid will automatically activate, but the lamp will not be illuminated.

Front defroster button: This activates the front windshield defroster.

Recirculation button: Uses fresh outside air or recirculates inside cabin air. When the orange light is illuminated the interior air is being recirculated.

Off button: Plain and simple, turns the climate control system off. The only remaining thing is the fact that the core will maintain it's set temperature so turning the dial all the way to the left will prevent warm air from entering the cabin.

Auto button: This is a set it and forget it type mode. Hit auto and adjust the temperature and the car will take care of the rest. In auto mode auto stop will not take place as creature comfort takes priority.

A few possible scenarios:

I just want to vent outside air and not use the air conditioning.
Press the econ button twice, turn the temperature dial all the way to the left, you may also wish to set the fan speed.

It's freaking cold out (below 32F) and I want autostop.
The only way to get autostop below this outside temperature (32F) is to press the OFF button before the car’s speed drops below ~20 mph. The easiest way to turn it back on and keep the same settings once you start moving again is to hit the FAN button (four times to get back to your original fan speed setting).

I want air and auto stop.
Press the economy button and select the appropriate temperature. While in auto stop the fan will shut off unless you manually set it's speed. If you do this cool air will continue to blow out for a short period of time. If it's a really long light you may with to just hit auto and slip the car in to gear to the engine will start up. Or, if it's not too hot you can get away with slipping the car in to gear for about 20 seconds to get the evaporator cool again and then back to neutral where it will again auto stop. The car will only let you get away with this a few times before the engine stays running.

I want heat and auto stop.
Similar to above, except press econ twice so that the compressor will not run.

Easter Egg
To access easter egg this push the AUTO and MODE buttons while turning the key to the run position. Press the rear window DEFOG button to advance the menu. All temperatures are in degrees C.

1. In car temperature
2. Outside temperature
3. Sun sensor value
4. Engine coolant temperature
5. Evaporator temperature
6. Air mix opening percentage
7. Vent temperature output
8. Fan something
9. Vehicle speed

·
Registered
66 Posts
No AC?!

Bought a 2001 a couple of months ago, from a cool climate in a cool time of year and didn't think to check the ac. The heater worked fine. Now it's getting hot. Lo and behold when I turned on the ac it blew warm. Took it to a shop who said, sorry, there's no ac unit in this car, and to install one will cost you $2000.
Huh?? Yes, my fault for not checking, but where is the ac? Did it never have it (it has cool on the dial), or did the previous owner take it out?
Arghh.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How can I put my climate control in to the diagnostic mode? My climate control is different. It doesn't have the auto button, but instead just arrows for up and down. It is a 2000 and it has no AC.

Also, is there a way to have it permanently display the outside temperature? That's a very useful thing to have during winter. I understand it is in C, however that is still very easy to read for those of us that are use to reading in F.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
The diagnostic mode doesn't exist in the climate control without AC because the units without air conditioning don't have automatic climate control.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
35 Participants
slociviccoupe
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing