Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, brand new Insight owner here. I just purchased a used Japanese import (grey market). The factory installed head unit is a Internavi system, see pic.

As it's in Japanese I've purchased a new aftermarket headunit. I think I've most things worked out except for the backup camera.
I've narrowed down the factory fitted camera connections to a particular block but haven't figured out the wires yet. Thought I had them but when I connected them to a remote screen got no picture. I wonder does the existing head unit power the camera as well on the same signal cables. Anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I may be a little late to the party, but usually you have/need at least two, sometimes four wires to take care of. Two are the Signal and the signal ground. Now most elctronic camera units use a standard called FBAS and I doubt that the camera in the Insight is by any means different. There are way too many FBAS units being made and they have a competitive advantage.
Now most cameras also need a power supply and that is usually connected to the reverse. So when you switch to reverse, the camera powers up and the imput of the head unit changes to the camera.
Obviously, this is, where most of the aftermarket units fail as they can not detect you switching to reverse. On the OEM headunit this is possibly done via the CAN bus, the Insight's head unit IS connected to the CAN bus as the ECO program is able to read and collect statistics from the ECU.
You may have to manually switch to the proper cam input....

·
Registered
12 Posts
will a unit like this solve the issue we have with FM radio frequencies?
is there any other cheaper way to replace it? even with a used one.

what type of unit should I search for?

sorry for the continues question but I also just bought one Japanese imported one in Dublin and I cannot stand the whole Japanese language etc...

what about the service messages? any solution?

would something like this do the job? I dont care about the GPS at all.

Pioneer-MVH-AV290BT-Double-2-DIN-MP3-WMA-Digital-Media-Player-6-2-LCD-Bluetooth
selling on ebay for 150 dollars

What is the appropriate size I should look for?

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are aftermarket radio "translators" which translate EU FM frequencies to the FM band used in Japan. They are usually wired between the original FM antenna and the headunit. The problem is, that we do have sort-of freerange FM allocation, whereas Japan has a very restricted and regulated FM allocation. Diversity, TMC and RDS and other "luxury" amenities are unknown and not needed in Japan - hence the original radio does not support that. In the end, when you receive radio stations, the radio ain't too bad, but on long'ish trips you will lose connection and retuning is a bitch. Better go with the aftermarket.
But then you will lose the CAN integration - the display of actual and historical fuel usage for instance. And - obviously - the rear view camera.
To me, the rear view is essential as I have to navigate into very tight parking spots, so I decided to stick to the SatNav on my cellphone.
Talking about cellphones ... there are "translator" apps that snap pictures of the Japanese script and translate that into almost readable English. You will soon memorize which buttons to press without reading the Japanese script.
You can't change the Jap script in the display either. So, no way to fix it. But here, those translator apps help, too and you will have memorized that, too.
...just don't snap pics and translate stuff while driving, yes?

Oh, and btw the stock radio rips CDs onto a built-in HDD. o you don't have to mess with CDs in the car more than once.

edit: and by going aftermarket, you will also most possibly lose the steering wheel remote controls, too ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I visited a shop in Dublin claiming they can change the headunit to aftermarket and they offer:

- installation of any aftermarket for 95 euros
- replace the back camera (cause they say the integrated doesnt work with the aftermarket units) for 120
- connect the aftermarket to the wheel controls for 65

i will ask more places cause i believe those prices are a joke!

all I want is to have radio and the camera. gps is not needed and my phone can easily do the job when i need it.

maybe if we could connect an aux device to the current unit we could get by the radio issue with a smartphone too....

any other ideas?

pls pm me to get in touch as you are also in ireland :)

what is the CAN integration?

·
Registered
84 Posts
CAN-bus is what makes the radio display your fuel consumption.
If I were you, I would rather add the radio expander like this one - you have to pick the right antenna connection:
Frequency Converter Antenna Radio FM Band Expander For Japanese Car vehicle SS | eBay
and just pair up your smartphone with the original radio.
The script is irrelevant as soon as you have memorized the few functions you really need. Radio, CD, MP3, HDD-Music, Bluetooth and fuel consumption. And rear view cam, that is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for this!!!

can you please explain what is the SS and why this is the right type of the car?
is it easy to install? do I have to power it up?

and finally, do you believe an aux in is possible?
mine has a video in installed next to the cigarette lighter....

I dont need the video in, just an aux in and i am done :)

thanks again!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have not taken mine apart - yet, so I can't tell which antenna connection it actually has. But IN GENERAL most Japanese radios do have a connector like the one in the eBay auction. Some jap radios do have USB, but not ours. The AUX next to the cig lighter accepts audio and video, but with mine video is blocked while driving. Audio works, though.
The adapter mentioned is easily installed, be advised that it needs 12 volts and you should take that 12v from the radio harness or the cig lighter to ensure that you do not suck the battery dry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks!!! i will give it a try and when it is done i will post pictures (hoping it works too)

so to go for the SS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Someone from Cork here!
I am struggling with the same problem here.

I changed the radio that came installed (I just wanted to understand what my radio was saying xD) so I passed from Gathers VXM-128C to an Android unit.

I bought an adapter, so all the CAN BUS is properly connected, but the camera cables are a mystery... I don't know how to install them in the new radio and I have no clue on which cable goes where...
I managed to identify the camera cables, but I don't know what to do with them! haha

How did you solved this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi @usuario
You have a different radio than the Japanese EX w. SatNav, I guess.
As far a my research goes, the radio gets a message via CAN that reverse is selected and then does ... magic.
I have bought myself a osmelloscope to check the different cables for signals, but I did not have had the time so far.
But since you are from Cork, too, we could meet up and compare notes and wiring. Maybe yours is easier to diagnose than the original japonese EX Mitsubishi N167.
Send me a PM if you are interested in a meetup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi @usuario
You have a different radio than the Japanese EX w. SatNav, I guess.
As far a my research goes, the radio gets a message via CAN that reverse is selected and then does ... magic.
I have bought myself a osmelloscope to check the different cables for signals, but I did not have had the time so far.
But since you are from Cork, too, we could meet up and compare notes and wiring. Maybe yours is easier to diagnose than the original japonese EX Mitsubishi N167.
Send me a PM if you are interested in a meetup.
That would be great Corkonian!
I definitely didn't go that far xD

I couldn't find the way to send you a PM, can you please send me one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys,i just joined this group. My honda insight 2009 backup fuse blown up and i replaced,but my rear camera stop displaying on my monitor. I have no idea what happed and I couldn’t solve this problem at all,if anyone have some idea please help me out. Is there any fuse in fuse box wich is powering camera ?thankss

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got aftermarket android unit. I know how to connect most wires. But i wonder how to connect factory backup camera with this aftermarket radio. On radio i have only 2 rca inputs. And factory backup camera have connector with 5 wires. How to manage that? Any ideas?

·
Registered
210 Posts
@Pedro1986
The standard camera has four wires. Two wires powered by 5 volts (+red -black), two wires - screen and signal (yellow+black/blue/ground). There can be one more - a braid of a mass point on a body. All you need is to choose a connector for your head unit. Take the camera's power from the reversing light using the LM7805 dips chip.
Like this:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/520749873587290193/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/518497249139885026/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/7052209/
But, I highly recommend using the LM7805, because factory camera voltage is 5V, and the voltage in the on-board network can be higher than 12V, which can lead to camera damage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/78xx

More detailed photos can be viewed in my album: https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/members/269082-gms24ru-albums-rear-camera.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Pedro1986
The standard camera has four wires. Two wires powered by 5 volts (+red -black), two wires - screen and signal (yellow+black/blue/ground). There can be one more - a braid of a mass point on a body. All you need is to choose a connector for your head unit. Take the camera's power from the reversing light using the LM7805 dips chip.
Like this:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/520749873587290193/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/518497249139885026/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/7052209/
But, I highly recommend using the LM7805, because factory camera voltage is 5V, and the voltage in the on-board network can be higher than 12V, which can lead to camera damage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/78xx

More detailed photos can be viewed in my album: https://www.insightcentral.net/forums/members/269082-gms24ru-albums-rear-camera.html
Thx for reply and links! But i cant get into your album to see photos. Just main page pops up...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts