Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone else hear a faint high pitch noise when the ima is charging? It is hard to hear, but I hear it. Actually I hear it when there is assist as well. I can only hear it a low speed, less than 20 mph or so. It sounds like it is coming from the engine.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's a normal noise for the IMA motor when it's in generator mode. Kind of sounds like "szing, szing, sszziing." I love hearing that noise! I'm making power :lol: Fantastic.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow, that you people can hear it!!! I barely hear my engine running, probably my ears are distoyed due to jetengines :? :?
Thanks for noticing my hearingperformance is running downhill!!!

Greetz Windmill

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Hmmm, guess I've never heard it, though then again I guess I never turn my stereo down enough to hear it. I'll have to try it some time. I can hear all sorts of stuff it seems others can't so should be interesting. Though it makes you wounder just how much EMF might be traveling right underneath you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am so glad someone asked about this. I searched thought the posts and found nothing. My car was still doing everything as wonderfully as usual but I hear that high faint pitch noise and was a little worried....

I have only had my insight a few months and only started hearing it recently. I am still wondering if this is the same one you guys are talking about, because I didn't hear it before. :?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I seem to get a high pitched whine from what seems to come from the ICE on some colder mornings when traveling at highway speeds. Seems to disappear once it gets a chance to warm up though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Whine

I've noticed similar to Braxus. I call it the "electric sound", because it sounds like the electric-like motors they used as sound effects for the van during the start of the movie "Bicentennial Man". I haven't thought it's a big deal, and I'm the opposite of many here -- I usually have my stereo *off* when I'm driving. Of course, I compose music professionally, so most of the time when I'm driving I'm working out a theme in my head, so it's very difficult to do that while listening to someone else's work :)

After the car is warmed up, the sound is less pronounced, though still present.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sunhunter said:
Can anyone else hear a faint high pitch noise when the ima is charging? It is hard to hear, but I hear it. Actually I hear it when there is assist as well. I can only hear it a low speed, less than 20 mph or so. It sounds like it is coming from the engine.
Yes I can hear it in my Civic Hybrid. It really pays to have dog ears.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
lamewing
Honda Insight Forum
We’re the ultimate Honda Insight forum to talk about Honda’s hybrid car and its fuel economy and specs!
Full Forum Listing