Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I'm new here and happy to have found this wonderful forum. I have a 2000 Insight and recently after the cold weather spell in the Midwest (Columbia, MO) the fan has started to make a rattling noise when the fan is on. It starts out slowly and then starts to go faster. I've been using it as little as possible and turn it off as soon as it starts.

The noise is definitely right behind the glove compartment. It can't be heard at all from the outside with the hood up. How do I remove the glove compartment door to see the fan? How much is there to remove once I do that?

Any ideas/info would be very much appreciated. If the fan motor is going, then I'll deal with that. My problem is the dealer here doesn't know anything about Insights and they would - of course - tell me that the fam needs replacing no matter what the problem is.

Thanks!!!

A. L. Huber
huberal
Columbia, MO 65201

·
Registered
344 Posts
Before you dismantle anything, look in the inlet duct. It might have a piece of plastic or paper in it fluttering. It is on the passenger side, to the right(facing forward) and near the right. I don't remember exactly, it is just a couple of screws to remove the glove box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
To remove the glove box, close it. Look at the bottom edge and there are two black 10mm bolts, one for each hinge. Remove these. Now open the glove box and you will be able to take it off.

Ditto Lanox's comments. I'll add that you should also take out the cabin air filter and clean out any debris you find. My car managed to swallow some pretty large leaves. One of those against the fan would make a heck of a racket. And you're due to change that filter anyway if you have a 2000 model.

Fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Inlet Duct

"LoNOx 1"]Before you dismantle anything, look in the inlet duct. It might have a piece of plastic or paper in it fluttering. It is on the passenger side, to the right(facing forward) and near the right. I don't remember exactly, it is just a couple of screws to remove the glove box."

LoNOx 1,

Thanks for your reply. How do I get into the inlet duct? Do I just pop it out or are there screws I have to remove?

A. L. Huber
huberal
Columbia, MO 65201

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred,

Thank you for your reply. OK, removed the glove box to get to the noise, which sounds like it's right there.

There is an air filter, which is held in by a silver bar and wires. When I pulled it out of its slot as far as I could, the filter was filthy. Obviously, it has never been checked by the Honda dealer where I bought my car and have taken it since for all of the maintenance - they are totally inept.

How do I get it out? It sounds like the noise could be coming from there and made by something that was sucked up - as you said. Does the filter need to be replaced or just cleaned?

Thanks for all of your help.

Warmest,

A. L. Huber
huberal
Columbia, MO 65201

"fscott - To remove the glove box, close it. Look at the bottom edge and there are two black 10mm bolts, one for each hinge. Remove these. Now open the glove box and you will be able to take it off.

Ditto Lanox's comments. I'll add that you should also take out the cabin air filter and clean out any debris you find. My car managed to swallow some pretty large leaves. One of those against the fan would make a heck of a racket. And you're due to change that filter anyway if you have a 2000 model.

Fred"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts