Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There’s a hill by my house with a perfectly placed stop sign. I can slow down to about 3 mph, and the G1 (CVT) turns off the engine, but creeps forward just well enough to keep rolling all the way down the hill without turning the engine back on. I can get up to about 29 mph with the engine off before the second stop sign at the bottom of the hill, where I stop completely and let the engine come back on again.

What’s the fastest you’ve gone with the engine in auto stop?

·
Registered
494 Posts
But that's by cresting a hill under power at about 74 and putting it into an engine-off coast. Some limited access highways around here are steep and long enough that the car will pick up some speed coasting on a downgrade.

Gen 1, 5-speed, switches to fake the brake and clutch.

·
Super Moderator
4,891 Posts
These are 5-speeds. I think I've coasted over 85 in mine. The CVT is a whole different deal. I'm not sure if we have determined that coasting a CVT is a good thing. And what is the correct process to restart it? I NEVER coast my CVT at any speed. The consequences of failure are just too great.

Sam

·
Super Moderator
1,592 Posts
What Sam says, in a MT with FAS about 85.

Scott

·
Registered
74 Posts
Right around 90 to 91 coming off Williams AZ coming west. A white knuckle ride for sure in these cars with turns. I'd imagine Willie has pushed past this speed.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You guys are NUTS!
But I mean that in a nice way...

·
Super Moderator
4,891 Posts
You guys are NUTS!
But I mean that in a nice way...
Please explain more fully. I don't see a problem doing what I'm doing. I'm good at spotting "good" downhills and I FAS a lot, sometimes for miles.

Sam

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm in fairly heavy, 70+ city traffic very nearly all the time. The thought of even the slightest delay in response raises the hair up on the back of my neck. It's not so much the stopping or steering that bothers me, it's the going. Especially when surrounded by vehicles that are all bigger than me.

Having said that, I do, sometimes shut down and coast up to stops and the like, when I don't need juice in the battery. And there is this big, long double-dip hill on the way to my brother's place. When things are clear I'll shut down there, sometimes, too. Except there's a light at the bottom that you can't time and that sort of takes all the fun out of it.

·
Super Moderator
4,891 Posts
I don't do this when there is much traffic.

Sam

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
+1 on what Sam (Rainsux) says on coasting a cvt. I tried it on a long down hill run (like I do with my mt), resulting in the engine racing to high rpm suddenly. Very hard on the the transmission.

With the cvt, I do a lot of downhill runs in drive and engine running. If the hill is steep enough the car won't lose speed. Sometimes 70 + mph like this.

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Considering how little acceleration the Insight has, I can hardly tell a difference with the engine on or off anyway. :grin:
Laughing.

Though... My last car was a Prius C. In it, if I had a choice between speeding up or slowing down to avoid trouble at highway speeds, I *always* had to slow down. With the MT, I can drop it into 4th, or 3rd, and scoot right thru.

But, besides coasting, mine'll stop its engine when it slows to 18 mph - usually. There are circumstances, and I've never figured out what they are, when the car will auto-stop at about 25 mph. It's always when the weather's hot, I have it out of gear, and my foot's on the brake--I know that much, and typically after a long drive at high speeds and then a few miles at 35, or so. I make the same drive the same way almost every day, but I've never been able to reproduce the 25 mph stop at will. The crazy little car simply does it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I've never seen 25mph. It could be a flaky speed sensor? Or wiring to the ECU, perhaps? You can cut the VSS wire to the ECU and your cluster will still display speed, and vise versa, they split from the VSS and there's no communication between the two.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I regularly coast at speeds up to 70 mph, more typically around 30-40, on known hills, with no traffic around, and yes I have to just kill the engine. It is a lot of fun to see how far you can go and lets you hear your car without the engine noise for spotting problems. Yes its not the 'safest' thing to do always but I think we would be splitting hairs debating that. I often pop the clutch if I am at speed and need to keep going.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I installed a brake light push-button switch (normally open) that I use in stop-and-go traffic. I'll come up on traffic that's just moooving slowly, press the button, and when the AS comes on, I can coast quite a bit without having to come to a complete stop... Or start the engine again. Kind of handy on our many downhill merging lanes, just push the button and coast. But when it reaches about 15-20 mph, the engine tends to come back on, so I hover my foot over the brake pedal so I don't slam into the car ahead when the engine wakes up again. :D

It's also handy for brodozers who tailgate in traffic, just hit the button and fire up the brake lights (without slowing down) and laugh as they slam on their brakes as they think you brake-checked them... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Y'know, it's funny, but one of my earliest memories is being with my dad in his 55 Chevy Bel Air (custom 2-tone blue) and coasting down a big hill near home. An MT, of course. I remember him shutting off the engine, handing me the key, and smiling as we zoooomed down the grade. Everything was mechanical and no interlock. I don't remember what we did at the bottom, but to a little kid, the ride down sure was fast, fast, fast!

There's something about letting gravity take over, isn't there?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts