Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested to see if anyone has recommendations on a brand/grade of gas based on observed performance characteristics…specifically: increased MPG. I know I have a regular brand that I usually get but it is more out of geographic convenience and habit. I am more interested in polling folks that think that the have observed increased MPG in one brand over another.

I realize that gasoline formulas very seasonally and regionally so this poll probably has little real relevance to anyone other than the individual observers. I am just curious. Observations anyone?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wonder if it matters less. With the IMA, premium probably does not matter. These days, non-premium gas is supposed to have the additives that keep the fuel injectors from clogging.

G

·
Hi Dan:

___Just before I picked up the Insight, I picked up a BP card with the small rebate at each purchase. Although I could probably use any regular unleaded and achieve the fuel economy I have, BP has done great by me in the MDX, Corolla, and especially in the Insight. The small rebate and the fact that my local BP (well not that local :() is on the same corner with 3 other stations almost forces them to price match to keep business driving in. With the small rebate and price matching, BP is a steal in my area anyway.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:2kzx4krv][email protected][/email:2kzx4krv]

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have found that BP/Amoco 87 octane give me the best performance for the mileage. My second choice is Thorntons 87, then Shell V-Power which I think is 97 octane.

You really have to check out your local stations. I've had both good and bad experiences with Mobil and Shell.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In my past 18 years I driving, I have never hesitated to stop at the absolute cheapest place I could find for every fill-up...regardless of brand.

In over 1/2 million miles of cumulative driving everything from carbureted 4 cyl to fuel injected V8's, diesels, and the insight's 3 banger, I have never encountered a fuel related problem. I have no problem sticking with "what ever gas is cheapest"

The only issue I have ever had was on a road trip in my friend's '32 Ford. His dad ask "what gas". My friend said "What ever is cheapest"....turned out diesel was cheapest that day. Three hours later, after we drained the tank, it was back to running good.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've always used 89 BP gas.....I get about an average of 61 mpg in my CVT if I don't use the air :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts