Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a weird thing happen yesterday on the way home from work. I started out as usual but the FCD registered 0. I pulled over intending to shut down and restart, but when I got to about 35mph, it came up to about 40mpg, so I figured everything was back to normal. As I accelerated to freeway speed, it went up to 150 and stayed there. I should have left it so I could take a picture of 130+mpg, but I thought something might be wrong so I did shut down and restart and this time everything seemed to be normal. The mileage was a little higher than normal, but by the time I got home it was pretty much what it usually is considering it was cold (35 deg) I had my radiator block in place and it was dry weather.
Today everything seemed normal, but I'm unsure if I should be concerned or not yet.
I changed out my battery on Saturday to an Odyssey PC545, and used jumpers to keep power to the car the whole time so nothing reset.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I'm kind of curious if either A) anyone's figured out what triggers this, and B) if the later cars might have had this fixed. I've personally never seen it, but I believe some have had it happen on their 02's if memory serves.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Ok the question now becomes is your serial number before or after mine (559)?

I know "some" 02 Insight's were involved in the head light switch recall according to the recall buliten, so perhaps there were some slight changes somewhere along the line. Or maybe I have the glitch and I never have done what it takes to get it stuck. Who knows.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I force auto stop often enough, strange.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Insightful Trekker:

___Forced or straight auto-stops, have never caused this phenomenon to rear its ugly head in my 2000 …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1dlechhr][email protected][/email:1dlechhr]

·
Registered
76 Posts
this might not exactly match the topic, but i have an issue with the FCD in general.

normally it displays Miles (digits), avg MPG (digits), and instantaneous MPG (bar graph). (-- adjust for metric units if you fancy, same thing tho other than a bit of different math. --)

one day i had to rearrange the cars in the driveway. the insight is light, so i turned the key to the point where i could move the steeringwheel without safety-lock, but didn't ignite the car. rolled it around the drive way, and all was well.

shortly thereafter, my wife noticed that the FCD was no longer registering one of either Miles or avg MPG, don't remember which, for trips A and B. the master/cumulative display ( eg, not trip A, trip B, or the 'trip meter' one ) was still normal and OK.

i reset the trip A/B meters to try to make the data come back, but that made the other variable disappear too. only has the bar graph for trip A/B now.

after some time passed, i tried going the reset of the displays that the manual indicates, although i don't recall the exact process now, i followed it as indicated in the manual.

now my overall/cumulative "lifetime" one is doing the same thing, iirc. only bar graph at the bottom. it is not displaying text in any fashion for the Miles or avg MPG; however, the 'trip meter' display ( the one you get if you push the FCD button, which makes it display the <=> symbol ) is still working fine and displaying readouts for all three variables.

perhaps this is something that can be fixed by disconnecting the (little) battery? or some similar thing?

i figure, worst case, we have to go to a dealer and they reset some stuff with their OBD buttset, but since the one member of my family with the OBD buttset doesn't have the honda gamecard to plug into it, i have to go to a dealer; and i would like to avoid visiting them again if it is possible.

i have a cellular phone who can take pictures, so if my description is unclear, i can post photos later of what the displays are actually reading ( or not reading ) tonight.

( oops, btw, i have an '04, purchased new, with manual and no A/C )

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Jrrs:

___It sounds like you are inadvertently turning off your various FCD displays by playing with the reset buttons. Turn them all back on and try and keep your hands off except for a quick push to reset a display.

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclope ... ments.html
Both the instantaneous bar graph and the average fuel efficiency number can be turned off at the driver's discretion. To turn off the bar graph, press and hold the FCD button until the bar & legend disappear. To also turn off the numerical average, press and hold the FCD button again, until that disappears.
___Follow the procedure to turn them off and on at your whim. Here is just one thread discussing the loss of display(s) and how to bring them back as well.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forum/vie ... php?t=2100

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:362xayry][email protected][/email:362xayry]

·
Registered
76 Posts
xcel said:
It sounds like you are inadvertently turning off your various FCD displays by playing with the reset buttons.
that was exactly the case, Wayne. thanks for the clue stick <G>; it's all fixed up and i should be fired.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Insightful Trekker said:
My serial production number is 1689.

It _would_ be interesting to see if any 03-05's are involved. AFAI remember 2 of my 3 occurred with a forced auto stop (key-off & on).

HTH! :)
Just happend to mine last night. I'm driving an '06 stick with 3500 miles on it. Kinda freaked me a bit at first, but then I remembered reading this thread about a month ago. :D It was shortly after a forced auto-stop, but I've turned the key off at that light every day for the last month or so. No idea what triggered it. A pull-over and shutting down...and standard re-start cleared it right up. Cool.

Cap'n Ron. . .

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I have an '05, and it happens to me occasionally during FAS. It's no problem, I just shut the engine off again, and it goes away......

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Billy,

Just to clarify, if you are using the key to turn the engine off-on then it's not a FAS, that is just turning the engine off and back on.

You'll get a chance to see real FAS when we have the California gathering.... ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
This has happened on my '03 on 3 occassions. Each time seemed to occur when I briefly shut down the engine and restarted within a few seconds.

Shutting the ignition off and restarting corrected things.

·
Registered
76 Posts
HA! now i'm on topic.

this has happened to me twice so far.

04 manual insight, no A/C -- ~41k miles.

i usually drive on the FCD <==> display. the onset of both occurences i was in FCD display. don't know if the display you're in is a factor.

details are as specific as i have them:

i pull out from work and travel less than 1 mi and hit a stoplight which takes a long time. car is still cold -- 2 bars. i key off and then key on quick enough to not have the engine stumble over itself and keep going -- slow enough so that when i key back on, the engine is off. i wait for the light to go green, key to ignition and then drive off.

mileage display reads 0 but is incurring "max" mileage ( that is to say, if i keep toggling back and forth, i see the average mileage increasing as if i was really doing 150 mpg or so ). display continues to read 0 until the point that the car does regenerative recharge and indicates so on the CHRG meter (green bars). after that happens, the instant mileage box-graph reads 150 until i cease forward motion; at which point it stays at 0 until the next time regen kicks in.

if i reset the FCD meter, or use Trip A or Trip B, i see 150 mpg avg if i'm in mileage; 0 l/100km if i switch it to metric.

it's not simply a surface display issue, as the Insight is actually recording that "150" into its memory/database/whatever for the mileage calculations.

the car persists in that state through auto-stops, as far as i know, keying off fully and starting the car again reverts the error condition back to normal (no error).

first time this happened, next day when i drove to work i had trip B at 150 MPG for 44.some miles. i watched trip B dive to 16 MPG average for that trip after a mile or so, so i thought "oh, great, it really was just cosmetic and the Insight recorded the mileage i was *really* getting", but then i realized there's no way in hell i got 16 MPG for a ~44 mile trip regardless of whether any bug was happening or not, so i toggled FCD on and back off so the display was back at Trip B and it was back at 150.

was like 5 or 7 days ago when this first happened, car's been normal since. on the way home from work today, i repeated the 'key off / key on' mentioned above at the same redlight and lo' and behold, i'm back in 150 MPG bug mode now.

the insight is auto-stopped in my driveway and after i finish up some work here i'm planning on taking a long trip :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
FCD Stuck 150 MPG

I just bought my 2003 MT in September so I still have a lot to learn. On my commute home last night the FCD instantaneous mileage graph became stuck at the maximum reading of 150 MPG. I can’t remember if I turned the ignition key off at a stop light when the engine was still cold or just thought about doing it. It seemed to me that it happened after accelerating quite aggressively in 1st and 2nd gear, as was necessitated by traffic conditions.

Most mornings I reset “Trip Odometer B” and am learning how to maximize the MPG on my 10 mile combined city and highway commute using assist when needed and lean burn as much as possible, given the daily traffic conditions. I was able to get up to 65 MPG before a cold snap the past week here in Milwaukee. Last night I was excited to see 70 MPG, but after reading this thread I see it might be related to the instantaneous mileage graph being stuck on 150 MPG. Today it is back to normal.

I’m happy to see in the thread from 2005 “It's a known issue that does no harm.” I’m hoping that by “Replying” other newbies will become aware of the issue.

In addition to leaning about the car I’m learning how to use the forum. I did a search within the forum - FCD stuck “150 mpg” – and got a lot of hits that did not include this thread. The quotes around 150 MPG seemed to have no effect. I found this thread with a Yahoo search using the same key words.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Did any of you just happen to fill the gas tank before this happens?

My car also does this once in awhile for 5 miles or so right after I fill the tank.

I theorize that some gas fumes or liquid gas gets into the emissions charcoal canister while filling the tank. When you leave the gas station and the car does a canister purge those fumes (or some of the liquid gas evaporates) and is drawn into the engine and burned along with the injected fuel. The error is caused because the fumes/fuel from the canister is unaccounted for by the ECU.

The unaccounted fuel consumed by the engine would normally cause the AFR to indicate a rich mixture so the ECU commands the injector pulse width to inject less fuel. The ECU uses the injector pulse width to calculate the fuel used per distance traveled so the indicated FCD mpg goes off the chart.

I have an OBDIIc&c and the AFR is the normal 20-22:1 lean burn ratio while this is happening. My FCD reading does change if I slightly change the throttle setting while staying in lean burn. Of course I try to maintain the 150+ mpg for the giggles of it all as long as I can.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
ritbooth:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your "new" gem. Lots of good folk and info here on "IC".

The "search" function, as well as the IC "knowledge base" and "encyclopedia" will provide answers to most questions an Insight owner will have. The "stickies" in each forum area are also well stocked with info, with many containing links.

The 150 glitch happened only once to me. I pulled off, keyed off, waited a few moments, and re-started. It hasn't occurred since. ???

I've seen unusually high mpg (but not 150) after a fill up that I "topped off". After reading about the issues topping off causes I no longer do so. I try to use the same pump each time, and stop I filling when the auto-shutoff on the nozzle activates.

I think this lends to some fairly accurate fcd data, with my fcd for the tank always being within tenth's of an mpg compared to what the pump & mileage works out to.

btw:

Keep an eye on the "hybrid socials and events" forum for advertisements of meet-ups that may be near your area. These are great opportunities to meet with other Insight owners to share ideas and experience.

Hope to see you at an up coming event.

Good luck and happy Insighting,

·
Registered
542 Posts
When leaving my house i first have to climb a hill about 2 blocks long, then I used to key off and coast another 2 blocks. Often when I got to the stop, hmm.... maybe I popped the clutch to start again. Anyway, the FCD would be stuck at 150. I forgot about it as I have used MIMA to shut the engine off for the past few years. So I think it is just a confused computer somewhere that has not been completely powered off. I once drove several miles to see if it would correct itself and it never did. I'm sure it is harmless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts