Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not quite to the hypermiler status yet, but I hooked up my scangauge to my Insight and drove to work. The average MPG and instant MPG seem to not match very well.

The FCD shows an average of 55 MPG but the scangauge shows high 40s. Is this a calibration issue or a difference between scangauge and the cars computer, which seems wrong?

I also apologize if this has been covered already. Please point me to the correct thread. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,763 Posts
I believe that the scangauge booklet tells you how to recalibrate if the mpg is way off. I think it is in the back of the booklet ("Troubleshooting".)

Willie

·
Registered
51 Posts
The FCD shows an average of 55 MPG but the scangauge shows high 40s. Is this a calibration issue or a difference between scangauge and the cars computer, which seems wrong?
If you have a manual transmission, they will not match when you are in lean burn. But if you are at 55 mpg, you're probably not in lean burn.

If you have a manual transmission, add a lean burn gauge to your scan gauge and try to keep it at 0.

http://www.insightcentral.net/forums/mpg-issues/13817-scanguage-ii-xgauge-lean-burn-mode.html#post131555
or
The SGII Xgauge Database - CleanMPG Forums
or
Search the forums for the thread titled "Scanguage II - Xgauge for Lean Burn Mode"

-Mike

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I set the engine size in the setup menu not at 1.0 liter, but at .8 liter. Through trial-and-error, I found out the ScanGageII likes that setting for our Insights, and gives a pretty accurate mileage and GPH reading, within spitting distance of our FCD. Try it set that way for a tankful and tell me what you think... :cool:

·
Registered
728 Posts
The SGII's MPG estimate is accurate enough on most cars, but factory mpg instrumentation is better. The SG doesn't take lean burn or DFCO when estimating fuel consumption.

The SG is useful when readying the Insight for winter. I use mine to keep an eye on my hot air intake and radiator block. It also tells me when the engine is warm enough for me to turn the heater on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts