Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently looking at two cars.

2010 Insight EX (CVT) for $17k with 30k miles.

Or a brand new 2012 CRZ (6mt/navi) $23k-$25k (it just got in lot so don't know exact price.)

Both are white, and I sold my 06 Civic EX to get one of these but was wondering which would be better.

My wife is ok with me getting the CR-Z but she would hope I get an auto which I do not want an auto CRZ.

I know the mpg is better on the insight but how is the technology/battery?
I know the CRZ is over-priced for what it is (IMO).

Any "Insight"? haha!

I am looking to purchase within the week so like any insight, feedback, things to know if I owned. Battery, technology, recalls, etc... also if a baby comes along... how is the CRZ and Insight on that? crz has baby carseats, anyone tried? help!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Guess it really just depends on what you're looking for? Killer gas milage (G1 Insight) or something with more room (cars you listed). Or if you just really like the CRZ then go with that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its kind of hard to say because I like the 6-speed idea and small HB of the CRZ (was a piior s2k and integra owner), however. My wife and I aren't sure if she is pregnant and if so... getting the Insight would be a better choice. Yet... she said if the CR-Z has a rear seat for later and baby seat then CR-Z be fine. If not, I know it be wise to get the Insight in the long run, especially the price and mpg ratio (differences).

Its a hard pick and compromise I have to make either way... Which is why I would like some seriously insight, feedback from owners. Recalls, defects, etc... are all for me to help me get closer to the decision of my next car. Also, I never had a hybrid so this would be my first. I thought about a FIT as well, but I don't know... I rather try a hybrid in the similar price range...

I will be test driving the Insight for the first time, today and the CR-Z I test drove it on Saturday... it was def... not like a S2k IMO but I guess its fun in its own way (I didn't get to drive it long though).

·
Registered
114 Posts
IMHO, the more practical solution, especially if you might be considering a baby, is to go with the 4 door Insight, as the CR-Z is NOT a family car. Do not be kidded into believing you can install a baby or child car seat in the back of a CR-Z, it will not happen! You'll be trading or selling the CR-Z if, or when, the baby comes along. Especially if this is your only vehicle.

However, that said, the Insight is a very good choice for an small economical family vehicle (and for that matter, so is the Honda Fit). Do not be concerned about the Hybrid technology as Honda's IMA technology has been around for about 12 or 13 years now and has gotten better with each generation. I believe the new vehicles now are using the 3rd or 4th generation of Honda's IMA technology. Believe it or not, there are a good number of vehicles on the road today that use some form of hybrid technology, some mild & some much more integrated, so hybrid technology will be around for some time and continue to improve each year. More importantly, the battery technology continues to improve each year. Thus, I wouldn't really worry to much about getting vehicle with a hybrid system. For the most part, they drive & act just like a normal gasoline vehicle. The only difference you might have to worry about is if you plan to store the car for a long period of time as non-use of a hybrid vehicle can be hard on the IMA battery pack if it's not stored correctly.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.

Kerry

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Baby on the way, forget the CRZ! Stick with the 4 door. Check out the new Insight, two known issues:
1)windshield trim making noise at hwy speed (Honda can fix or self fix with RTV)
2)CVT fluid likes to be changed like every 30,000 miles to keep it running smoothly

They have been very reliable vehicles with no real known issues other than listed above. You get a lot of bang for your buck with the new Insight. But if you want to spend a little more you might want to look at the Mazda 3 with Skyactive engine also, mid 40MPG car with no hybrid battery to worry about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have narrowed it down to two possibilities now.

2010 Honda Insight EX = $16,998 (Auto)
30k miles

or

2011 Honda Fit Sport = $17,488 (Manuel)
16k miles

Price is roughly about $1k different if we look at it with 1 year difference.

What do you all think?
I have been in a 07 Fit before (when it first came out, my friends).
I just know it had a nice sound system and nimble suspension.

Never been in a Insight but will go test drive tonight.

I figure this way... mpg goes to insight, room go to Fit.
What do I want more... I probably say mpg at this point since the insight has good and sufficient amount of room.

What I don't know is the sound, front driver/passenger comfort ability and I can't believe both are rear drums... lol!

I will also consider the Skyactive or whatever... is that pretty much Mazda with the label "i" in front of them?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have narrowed it down to two possibilities now.

2010 Honda Insight EX = $16,998 (Auto) 30k miles
or
2011 Honda Fit Sport = $17,488 (Manuel) 16k miles

I figure this way... mpg goes to insight, room go to Fit. What do I want more... I probably say mpg at this point since the insight has good and sufficient amount of room.

What I don't know is the sound, front driver/passenger comfort ability and I can't believe both are rear drums... lol!

I will also consider the Skyactive or whatever... is that pretty much Mazda with the label "i" in front of them?
EmotionR,

If this is your only car and your wife will also be driving it on a regular basis, then IMHO an auto transmission is preferred (especially if you have a lot of stop & go traffic). It is just one less distraction when the baby comes. But both the Insight & Fit are excellent choices.

Skyactiv is what Mazda is marketing as their new technology (on some of their new 2013 models). Basically, the engine is a higher-compression, direct injected, lower friction engine that is supposed to give you more low-end torque while providing better MPG than their previous 2.0L engine. There are also changes to the transmission & chassis to improve performance & fuel economy. Google Skyactiv and research it if you're interested. Personally, Mazda makes great little cars as well. My wife drives a 2003 Mazda Protege5 which we bought brand new. Currently has 150K miles and still going. But it doesn't come close in MPG to my Gen 1 Insight :D

Good luck. Hope this helps. Kerry

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Check out the Hyundai Veloster too and the new Elantra....before committing to Honda.
I've had Honda's since 1980 and given what they offer vs other mfg's they will not get another dime from me.. Good luck

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Test drove a 2010 Insight and a 2011 Honda Fit (Manuel).

Got to say, the Insight felt pretty comfortable but wouldn't pick up so I'm a bit worried about travel with the family on long distance... If I push hard it kind of goes but that just probably eats up the gas and make it like a regular "all gasoline car".

The Honda Fit was better, probably due to its bigger engine and being standard.

Overall, both were pretty good, but different/unique in its own ways.

Insight shows better mpg on paper and I believe it be a bit higher than the Fit, however. The room and pick up... Fit wins.

I will probably end up getting the Fit standard.
It has more of the pros in my case.

Better sound system, a bit more power and more room overall.

The insight's interior is cool though, speaker was a bit of a bummer.
Room was fine for me though but yea... when it came to pick up on a simply traffic light turn, I had to pretty much put the pedal all the way down to start going...

I may still get the insight but I have to ask....
How is long distance with 5-6 people?
Did any of you (Insight) owners feel it even slower, pickup, issues on hills, etc?

A/C is another issue I am worried about since I hear it stops and I live in Texas!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If you are in ECON then the pick up is slower and yes the AC will turn off at lights. Just turn off ECON and it will have more pickup and the AC will keep running. Also you can put it in "S" for sport mode and get more pickup and use the paddle shifters also.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
For what it's worth....

My wife has an 07 Fit and I really like driving the car.

It has good pickup, and lot's of space inside.

For me, being 6'2", the leg-room is tight even with the seat back, but the suspension is way better than my Insight. Leg room in the Insight is great for a small car however. Better than any other small car I've owned.

I ScanGauged the Fit, and can get about 45mpg with it if I drive slow, but my wife drives it like a regular car and really doesn't care about the exact mileage.

The Fit has been very reliable for us, and can easily seat four adults. The flip-down seats come in very handy for hauling items.

Jim.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
A/C only stops if you put it in ECON mode... otherwise it continues running (as does the engine) at stops.

Sam

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are in ECON then the pick up is slower and yes the AC will turn off at lights. Just turn off ECON and it will have more pickup and the AC will keep running. Also you can put it in "S" for sport mode and get more pickup and use the paddle shifters also.
Good to know.
Which car be better for 4-5 people going to the beach or long trips?

I would say Fit, however. The Insight is quiet impressive on the mpg...
Comfort... the Insight felt more comfortable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Which car be better for 4-5 people going to the beach or long trips?
Neither! These are sub-compact vehicles designed for a couple with one of two younger kids that will move you around in an economical & safe manner.

For those times where you need more room and/or cargo capacity, rent a larger vehicle. Otherwise you'd probably be over-loading the suspension which is not going to be comfortable or safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts