Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2000 insight and after driving it around noticed that down shifting into secound at over 20 mph it tends to grind is this normal? Other general questions what should the battery be at as far the charge as you can see I have done much reading yet...will be using the search option quite a bit.

areg

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's always better to rev match when downshifting, ideally with a heal and toe technique this should reduce or eliminate the problem. Since you bought a used car I suggest replacing the manual transmission fuid with HONDA Manual transmision fluid, this may also solve the problem.

If non- of these two things work, then your 2nd gear synchros are worn out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As far as the shifting, the Insight has a very low MPH in relation to the gear (sorry, I don't know the mechanical term :oops: ). For example, my shifting is as follows (when increasing speed) 0-9 MPH = 1st, 10-17 = 2nd, 18 - 29 MPH = 3rd, 30-35 = 4th, 36+ 5th.

At 20 MPH, I would stay in 3rd and downshift to 2nd around 15 or so.

And, although this may be controversial, I rarely downshift. I usually let the car coast (or gently brake in my current gear) when I prepare to come to a stop in order to maximize the battery charge. When the battery stops charging (green bars stop), I put the car in neutral and slowly brake. By then, I am usually around 15 mph or so. Sometimes, if you downshift too much on a stop you will lose regenerative braking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
florida_gators said:
although this may be controversial, I rarely downshift.
What about approaching a significant incline (up a canyon-side in S.D.) at highway speeds?? I often find it necessary to downshift from 5th to 3rd both to maintain a safe climbing speed and to conserve battery juice (otherwise one steep climb and IMA is depleted :!: )

·
Registered
129 Posts
I do downshift to 3rd when I have to accelerate rapidly or to pass, but growing up in Indiana and living in Florida there are no steep inclines. Although I would recommend staying in "gear" on steep inclines (and especially declines) in order to maintain control of the car as well as anti-lock brakes! In addition, using 3rd gear does give more power and uses the gas engine more, so that way the battery is not depleted.

I do need to get out to the Western US more. The only mountains I have been in are the Appalachains (I know I butchered the spelling, but at 7 PM I want to leave the office and head home :roll: .) Since that was a beautiful drive, I can't imagine how S.D. canyons look. I really have no excuse for not driving out there. It's not like I can't afford 3,000 or so miles of gas. In an Insight that's about $1.00, right :p

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,918 Posts
rving

fla_gator;
Here is an example of the driving I do in the mountains of SD county on a regular basis. This was done after my latest experiment running without IMA or turbo. The results of the experiment can be read on the "turbocharged Insight" thread later on tonight. Compare this to my higest mileage of 96.4 from Campo to Yuma, Az. I believe it was over 120 miles.
I've driven in Fla. and you should be able to get 75+ if you are a hypermiler. (Freeway traffic there is the same as Calif. 75+, only the traffic is twice as thick)

Example:
"After filling up with gas, I turned off the CARD switch and drove from an elevation of app. 100 ft. to 3200 ft. I ran at 65-70 mph in 3rd gear at a rpm of 3500-4000 to keep the forced regen showing 4 bars all the time.
The distance was 21.6 miles. At that time the forced charge stopped (3/4 full) and the hidden charge took over for another 6 miles driving the same style. At 4200 ft. the SOC showed full. (max. altitude)
Continuing another 17.7 miles to my residence at an elevation of 2460 ft. my "trip" mileage rose to 51.8 for a total of 45.3 miles."

Willie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feed back...been doing a lot of reading. Great to see this forum being active. I am sure that more questions will be asked on my part...this little car is growing on me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts