Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the 6x9 Polks wouldn't fit in the rear, so we custom cut a couple of 3/4" spacers and installed a pair of Polk MMC-650s identical to those in the doors. The 200w Alpine amp fit perfectly under the passenger seat and casts a slick blue glow from under the seat at night. (bonus) :eek:

The sound is greatly improved with this combo. Especially once I adjusted the settings on the head unit for better reproduction at higher volumes.

Recap:
1 Alpine CDA-9857 w/ipod Hi-speed link.
4 Polk MMC-650s
1 Alpine 200w 4 channel amp

Me: One very happy driver!

:D :D :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
How would you compare the ease-of-use of the Alpine headunit vs. using the iPod directly? Is the Alpine pretty good?

I'm thinking of getting that headunit myself. Right now I have the iPod hooked in through the aux input. It's not too elegant, but the iPod is so easy to use that I'm reluctant to change anything. However, if you really like the Alpine, then I might just got for it.

James

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Details

jbrasure and downloader,

Stock pics of all the components can be found in my latest blog at
http://billsbigblog.blogspot.com as well as a short description of my dealership experience

As to the ease of use question. The Alpine interface is better than I expected and the more I play with it the easier it gets. If I just RTFM, it'd probably be even easier, but as an life long IT geek I have a hard time not figuring it out on my own first!

I'll try to get a couple of pics up this weekend.[/img]

·
Registered
116 Posts
jbrasure,

I just installed that same stereo (Alpine 9857) in my S2000 and I also love the hi-speed link that it came with. I find that using the controls on the head unit is a lot easier (and safer) than using the click wheel of the iPod. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I completed installing a new head unit - JVC KD-HDR1 with High Definition (HD) Digital Radio - http://www.hdradio.com The install went smoothly. The most time consuming part was stripping and soldering the wires to the adapter. Very noticeable improvement in sound quality over the stock unit, especially with the HD digital for local stations that broadcast it. No probs with AM either.

I also ordered 2 Infinity Reference 6012si speakers for the front and 2 Earthquake 6.5 subs for the rear holes. I plan on crossing the subs with a 100hz low pass filter and using the fade on the headunit to adjust the front high/rear sub balance. I'll post back when the order comes in next week and I get them installed.

I was also wondering if I should use a 100hz high pass filter for the Infinity fronts, since they go down to 53hz. Probably wouldn't hurt. What do you think?

What filter slope would you recommend? I am thinking 12 instead of 6 or 18 or 24.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sub depth?

Did you check the depth on those subs? There is very little space in the rear factory holes for decent speakers. I had to install a custom spacer just to fit the Polks back there. Very tight! :shock:

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Earthquake 6.5 subs are the SWS model, Shallow Woofer System. They are a shallow mount. The 6.5 has a 1.75 inch mounting depth, so there should not be a problem with depth. I'm more concerned with the mounting diameter and fit.

http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm

They retail for $249 a pair. I found them on Amazon for $129 a pair.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts