Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yesterday I finally had to do a brake job on my 02 at just a hair over 35K miles. The pads were just about down to their wear indicators and the rotors had some warping going on, nothing too bad though. Amazingly I found a great source of cheap rotors... BAP. They were $11.05 each, and they were able to deliver them in about 20 minutes. I already had a set of Honda pads. So far no squealing or anything you sometimes get from using cheap aftermarket parts!

BTW, the rears have hardly been touched.

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,882 Posts
OK Rick, what are you doing wrong. I got over 100,000 miles on my first set. Changed them then, and still had plenty of pad left.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Many of us are not getting the same mileage out of parts on our Insights. Heck I only got around 15k miles out of my tires. Not because they were worn out but because the sidewalls had nasty cracking.

Rick, Do you have a web address for your brake source?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They don't do online sales that I'm aware of, but here's their web site:

http://www.bapimportparts.com/

I think they also have aftermarket pads available. I think we determined we have the same brake stuff as a CRX right?

As far as getting "only" 35K consider I do most of my driving in the city, get cut off occasionally resulting in full ABS stopping. I would imagine if I were doing a lot of long distance trips they would have lasted many more miles. I probably could have ran them longer if I needed to. In the center of the pad there's a groove, I was down to about a milimeter from that.

All things considered I'm tickled pink they lasted that long. My previous vehicle, a 95 Tahoe literally needed a brake job twice a year, both front and rear. Those had serious issues with brake wear, and I was maybe putting 10K on it a year.

Resist, I had the same thing happen with my first set of tires. I had plenty of center tread left, but it was almost to the wear indicators on the outside and the sidewalls were cracked decently. I replaced the tires at 27K on mine. Of course Phoenix summers tend to dry out and crack pretty much anything left outside anyways.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Rick,

35K seems very low to me, I drive in LA freeways every day, but I try to minimize brake usage, I regen as much as possible.

I currently have almost 123K and I checked the pads about 2 weeks ago, they still have plenty left, I'd like to replace them at 200K, I thinks it's possible.

On most newer vehicles when the brake fluid is low it will turn on the "Brake" light in the dash, that's a good sign that is almost time to change pads, (that's of course if they're wearing even).

Bu the way my EGR valve is still working great too. just lube it every 15K miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts