Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about it since 2010. Kicked the can for 8 years.

When I found out the 3rd Gen Insight isn't a hatchback :( (dealbreaker for me) figured welp I guess I'll ride this car down to the ground so pulled the trigger and here it is.

- 5 part body kit (front/rear/side spoilers and wing)
- Wedsport SA-10R 16x6.5, 48mm offset 4x100 rims
- 195/55R, 16 Pirelli P7's

On the fence about the Mugen suspensions and exhaust. I feel like I need to drop the cash to buy a replacement battery soon.

The shop that painted and installed said the kit was just perfect and the easiest they've ever had to work with.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks GREAT!

I'll be honest, had no idea what a Mugen kit was so I had to Google it. Wow, that price.

Further researching and I can't find a definitive answer whether or not these modifications improve MPG, or at least enough to justify that price tag.

Let us know how it works out for you!

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Wow! Doubling up that low, horizontal line makes a huge difference in the way the car looks. Almost makes me want to buy a G2!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all!

To reply to some of the questions and comments:

- The kit has not improved MPG at all, in any discernible way. I have done lots of research from others who have owned the kit (US/JPN) over the last 8 years. The gains, if any, are not noticeable. This is purely cosmetics, so as long as you know what you're getting and not getting -- you will not be disappointed :).

- Yeah, I'm always amazed as well that such a small difference can make for such dramatic results. Who knew that a four piece skirt could create such a big impact... There's probably some sort of deep but very simple meaning hidden in that observation...

- Yep, KingMotorSports! I did get a nice discount. With G2 Insights being discontinued a few years ago, I got a sense that the Mugen parts were likewise going to become harder to find, so I pulled the trigger. The primed parts were great -- the body shop was shocked at the high quality. They said the parts came packed and primed the same color and quality as OEM Honda replacement parts.

- The rims and wheels has made a huge difference in the comfort and grip of the ride, as well as a dip to mpg. The car feels drastically smoother whereas the stock 175/65 tires would give clear feedback of what's going on underneath. Honestly, I don't mind being beaten up by my ride, but I don't hate the muted ride either. Used to run Bridgestone Ecopia's like most. I would occasionally go hard on corners and lose traction, which I found real fun. This has clearly, way more grip and I feel planted. I found the old and new sensations both nice in their own ways. The handling feels very similar -- it is the improved comfort and grip that jumps out the most.

- With the rim/tire setup, I lost 4~5mpg in city driving, and accelerating is noticeably slower. This is perhaps the toughest part to reconcile for me (cuz mpg is the star of the show when you purchase a G2 Insight in 2010), but I knew it'd be like this going into the decision. I strongly felt the body kit would need complementary rim :). Mpg is mostly negligible and feels slightly improved on highway so far, but need to break in tires before further analysis. The saving grace is, there is no fender rubbing. I was really worried about that and it's why I stuck with 16in rather than 17in rim diameter.

- On topic of mpg, I have heard lowering the suspensions 1~2 inches (either aftermarket coilovers or Mugen Suspensions) has increased highway mpgs enough to put a small dent into your current avg. The physics makes sense to me. Wind resistance goes up exponentially, so anything you can do to get low will help. Drawback is potential scraping in the parking lot, and increased likelihood of fender rub.

Overall I'm really happy, and wished I had done this sooner.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks great! Welcome to the club!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts