Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a good while and I finally made an account.

I got my hands on a 2001 Insight last year for under $2k. It's red (not my preferred color, maybe I'll get it repainted someday) and has lots of hood and windshield chips and I think was rear-ended once, but it's been a good commuter. Definitely more fitting even just in gearing for modern traffic than my previous 55hp 2nd gen Civic. It has an RB Batteries grid charger that I run about weekly as the battery isn't in great condition. It could probably use a discharge cycle as it has been worse lately. I've been watching the lithium developments here over the last year and I'm excited about where things are going and want to go that direction.

Mostly due to availability I replaced the very bald Potenza RE92 LRR tires with Vredstein Quatrac 5 and definitely took a 5-10 mpg hit, but I can feel the difference in traction when braking and cornering, which is nice. I need to put the bottom aero covers back on, as they were off when I bought it and now just sit in my garage. Hopefully that will help a little with mpg. I also had to replace the 7 yr old group 51 battery that was in there recently. Next up is polishing the old white headlights.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for all you put into this community and especially to those that carry it forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been lurking for a good while and I finally made an account.

I got my hands on a 2001 Insight last year for under $2k. It's red (not my preferred color, maybe I'll get it repainted someday) and has lots of hood and windshield chips and I think was rear-ended once, but it's been a good commuter. Definitely more fitting even just in gearing for modern traffic than my previous 55hp 2nd gen Civic. It has an RB Batteries grid charger that I run about weekly as the battery isn't in great condition. It could probably use a discharge cycle as it has been worse lately. I've been watching the lithium developments here over the last year and I'm excited about where things are going and want to go that direction.

Mostly due to availability I replaced the very bald Potenza RE92 LRR tires with Vredstein Quatrac 5 and definitely took a 5-10 mpg hit, but I can feel the difference in traction when braking and cornering, which is nice. I need to put the bottom aero covers back on, as they were off when I bought it and now just sit in my garage. Hopefully that will help a little with mpg. I also had to replace the 7 yr old group 51 battery that was in there recently. Next up is polishing the old white headlights.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for all you put into this community and especially to those that carry it forward.
Congratulations on your new G1. Glad you are on the I.C. Forum. Sounds like you are making progress on getting things sorted out. It's interesting that you don't like the New Formula Red color. I have a suspicion that the color will grow on you. I had a NF Red G1 years ago that was totaled, and to this day I hope to find another one. I can't think of any original color that I don't like on the G1. I hope that you find a lot of enjoyment in ownership. Blessings...

·
Registered
213 Posts

Congratulations. The longer you have it, the more you will like it.
Speaking from experience, don't bother with the OEM bottom covers. Get a Scott Kulbeck KLR3CYL custom aero panel. I wouldn't run either of my Insights without them. Far superior to OEM. He is the top Insight mechanic in the land, bar none.

Reactions: jonhi

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Yea Scotts belly panel and rear springs are an absolute must, that along with cleaning your headlights to make them clear are the 3 best things you can do to make an insight drive better, IMO.

Reactions: jonhi
1 - 7 of 7 Posts