Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, I want to officially introduce myself, I have been a long time lurker here. After much research on hybrids I came to the conclusion the Insight was the best hybrid out there, dollar/performance ratio (is there really an overall cheaper cost of ownership car? If so, show me).

The insight fit all my needs for a M-F cruiser. It allowed me to carry around myself, wife and my 3 kids all while saving at the pump. All of us combined plus trunk cargo is at ~550lbs for almost every mile this car has been driven.

I bought a 2013 EX w/o NAV back on November 20, 2013. I got an absolute steal on the car. I drove the Prius, and ultimately decided the insight was the more Drivers car. The insight is just plain fun to drive and not sloppy like the prius. (I like alittle spirit when I drive) plus, the $8,500 price savings didn't hurt either. As for my research between MPG I found in the real world the insight might only be 2-3mpg worse with similar driving styles. Basically, I knew going into it the insight was underrated in the mpg department.

Anyways, I bought the Insight with 19 miles on the odometer. It was winter, and I was semi-new to hybrids. I averaged a "calculated" 46mpg for the first few months up to spring time. Then it was time to cruise windows down and learn to drive this thing. I found quickly coasting and breaking are the key elements to this vehicle. Anticipating all future stops, light changes, traffic elements, etc... I do accelerate slow but once up to speed I stay with traffic at 5mph over speed limit.) my lifetime mpg was climbing for about a month. Then SUMMER. I had to run A/C to keep cool in this sweltering heat until now. The weather has finally cooled down the past couple weeks to high 70's low 80's so I've been cruising with windows down and enjoying some fresh polluted air :p. the mpg really has been climbing now that the AC is off and the engine is broken in. I have documented ever tank of gas through the car on an app called "road trip" (I find it more useful then fuelly.com as I can log my maintenance schedules with fillups. plus it's an easy to use app that I can update in 10seconds after pumping gas).

Currently my lifetime is right at 49.6mpg and slowly climbing.

My last three tanks have been over 52mpg calculated. I drive around 90% city.

Last tank was 447 miles with only 8.1 gallons pumped. (55.19mpg)

This tank is even better... And I maybe jumping the gun a little and counting my cookies since I am still on the F mark. However, I felt the need to post as I am surprised at the mpg I've been getting recently. Hoping to have a 500mile tank.

I understand many people on here especially the 2010-2012 have shown there MID being off 2mpg. That maybe true for some, but for my particular 2013 car and always pumping at the exact pump at the same gas station for the life of the car and stopping at the first click of the pump I have shown mine to always be within a maximum 1.2mpg margin. I consider that within the margin of accurate as so many variables play role when pumping gas.

Anyways, I figured I would introduce myself and share my mpg findings.

Current mileage is 16,000. I always change my oil every 5k with Mobil 1 0w-20 advanced fuel economy and use a Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter. I found if I buy three of the 5quart jugs at Walmart, I can do 4 oil complete oil changes at an average of $19 each including filter. Other then that it's completely Stock. So for this car it's just gas and oil changes. With the and the occasional trip to Honda every 5k for a free nitrogen top off and a tire rotation.

Feel free to ask my anything you want as far as driving style and my thoughts about my insight.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Nice MPG numbers. We always note that this car is way underrated when it comes to that EPA estimate. Some people manage those numbers, but I find most stay above that low 44 mpg value.

Great value is what probably drove many of us to the Insight. Can't agree more, and my wife drives a Prius! I've been a Honda fan for a long time, so it's not a big stretch for me.

I bought my Insight in the Raleigh area while passing through after visiting friends and buying a set of wheels for wife's Prius. Just happened to need an oil change and pulled in to a Toyota dealership... Honda was next door and they were having a really good sale last March. We really were surprised at their prices.

Enjoy the car! And the high MPG. Love going by those gas stations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice MPG numbers. We always note that this car is way underrated when it comes to that EPA estimate. Some people manage those numbers, but I find most stay above that low 44 mpg value.

Great value is what probably drove many of us to the Insight. Can't agree more, and my wife drives a Prius! I've been a Honda fan for a long time, so it's not a big stretch for me.

I bought my Insight in the Raleigh area while passing through after visiting friends and buying a set of wheels for wife's Prius. Just happened to need an oil change and pulled in to a Toyota dealership... Honda was next door and they were having a really good sale last March. We really were surprised at their prices.

Enjoy the car! And the high MPG. Love going by those gas stations.

Where in Raleigh did you buy from? I went to Leith and Crown to see who would cut the better deal. Crown didn't play any games and had almost a $2k cheaper OTD price then Leith.

I agree though, the value of the insight. I did like driving the Prius but it didn't feel as fun to drive. Plus, I didn't like the center console how it came down from the dash. I am 6'3" and weight 300lbs. So I need to have a little room for my legs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
We didn't intend to buy an Insight in Raleigh. As it turned out, we were going to go see a used one that was sitting up front at Leith. When went into the lot, they had 3 new Insights in a row with "special" sale prices. My wife decided to see if they would take 19K for the white EX (that was already around 2,000 lower than sticker) and to my total surprise they accepted the offer.

In a little over two hours we were headed home with a new Insight for what I considered a nearly a used car price. One of the easiest deals ever, and I thought they would just laugh at her when she gave them the offer. No shenanigans. It was straight forward, rather pleasant and pretty fast, to say the least.

Maybe we just caught them in weak moment or something. Still really enjoying the car, and getting superb MPG. Filled the tank (I filled it completely, right to the top) last Wednesday, and it calculated out at 58.03 mpg. The digi display guessed 58.7 mpg. So it was pretty close.

My wife's Prius fits me really well, but then I'm only 5'9". Both cars are pretty good on the road. Would be tough for me to make a choice between them. Leather seats in the Prius are extremely comfortable for long trips and the combination of good sound system and satellite radio gives Prius the edge for that task. I like driving the Insight as a daily driver. It's smaller, but just as comfortable for my shorter daily trips.

Like I said, would be tough for me to make a decision between these two cars if I could only pick one of them. The miser in me says the Insight is a way better deal than the more expensive Prius. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts