Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven my 2000 MT since July and only recently began to recognize lean burn. Mostly l have been driving too fast plus we have lots of hills. I just bought an Ultra Gauge UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool due to a recommendation from uhtrinity and now I can really confirm and identify LB characteristics. I just did 600 miles this weekend around the Olympic Peninsula in WA state and averaged 71.2 which is at least 12 better than I would have achieved a month ago. Mostly I am driving slower, as I have been unable to get LB above 63 mph or so. I think I'd be averaging at least 75 if I drove 55. The Ultragauge is programmable with 32? gauges available. I use % engine load, engine Temp, both o2 sensors, intake temp & TPS. That fills the first page. I have not added any gauges on the next 2 pages that are available. Very educational. Highly recommended.

·
6,951 Posts
It took me a good 6 months to a year to learn lean burn and to truly get the best fuel economy the car can offer.

I think that's par for the course if you're "on your own". With a little coaching from this site, I think you can learn the ropes in a few weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I use % engine load, engine Temp, both o2 sensors, intake temp & TPS. That fills the first page. I have not added any gauges on the next 2 pages that are available. Very educational. Highly recommended.
Funny, those are the exact gauges I have been using for the last week. I'll most likely drop TPS, O2#2, and engine load in favor or something else. The other option is to setup all 3 screens and let them cycle on a delay.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I just ordered my Ultragauge too. I'm getting better @ pulling good mileage but having had my 2000 MT Insight since about 2006, you'd think I'd be better by now. :)

Next, maybe I need to consider a MIMA and the TPS smoothing circuit as well. :)

·
6,951 Posts
I can't really justify spending $60 on the UltraGauge when I bought a ScanGauge just a couple of months ago. :frown: lol... But I do like the look of the UltraGauge better. I will pick one up eventually.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny, those are the exact gauges I have been using for the last week. I'll most likely drop TPS, O2#2, and engine load in favor or something else. The other option is to setup all 3 screens and let them cycle on a delay.
I suspect as I get a feel for these options I'll look for new ones, but I can't imagine letting them cycle or manually changing them. Right now I want to see how my inputs and the road conditions affect the car but as I get used to these gauges they will probably fade in importance. Great that I've got a couple dozen more to choose from! Thanks for the original UG tip!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've driven my 2000 MT since July and only recently began to recognize lean burn. Mostly l have been driving too fast plus we have lots of hills. I just bought an Ultra Gauge UltraGauge Automotive Information Center and OBDII Scan Tool due to a recommendation from uhtrinity and now I can really confirm and identify LB characteristics. I just did 600 miles this weekend around the Olympic Peninsula in WA state and averaged 71.2 which is at least 12 better than I would have achieved a month ago. Mostly I am driving slower, as I have been unable to get LB above 63 mph or so. I think I'd be averaging at least 75 if I drove 55. The Ultragauge is programmable with 32? gauges available. I use % engine load, engine Temp, both o2 sensors, intake temp & TPS. That fills the first page. I have not added any gauges on the next 2 pages that are available. Very educational. Highly recommended.

How is the installation?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It plugs into the OBD port so it takes about 2 seconds. i used the windshield suction mount so it is next to my GPS mounted the same way. The most difficult is the time filling out the rebate which also takes you through some programming stuff. Once I got it working I deleted the default gauges and just put the ones I wanted on the first screen. There are 2 more screens you can program with different gauges, but I have not done that. Only driven the car 2X since but the first was 600 miles and I don't know how I got along without it. It answers so many questions about lean-burn for me that it was worth it just for that. I suspect I have more to learn.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I can't really justify spending $60 on the UltraGauge when I bought a ScanGauge just a couple of months ago. :frown: lol... But I do like the look of the UltraGauge better. I will pick one up eventually.
I may be misinterpreting this reply, but if you haven't done it already, you can program your scanguage (at least the scanguage II) to track your leanburn. I did it, long ago, and don't remember what it actually is monitoring (O2 sensor?) or how to do it. I've labeled it LNB, and when it drops to 0, I'm there.

You may have done this already, and there are other features of the ultragauge you like better. :)

I enjoy the Scanguage quite a bit, not to mention how handy it is when that CEL light comes on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You may have done this already, and there are other features of the ultragauge you like better. :)

I enjoy the Scanguage quite a bit, not to mention how handy it is when that CEL light comes on.
You Probably have already done this..! And if so, could you review or link to the instructions again. I can't find it, didn't bookmark it, totally lost it.

tnx!

·
Registered
14 Posts
scangauge substitute?

UG seems to do everything the scangage does, does it clear CELs, seems to. With the $100 saving makes it ez choice to make this & LSAS my first mod/ upgrade.
I read the CVT was designed to be SULEV & not lean burn like the MT but is there a thread/mod to make the CVT lean burn?

·
6,951 Posts
Yes, I would get the UltraGauge. Wish I would have known about it before I bought the ScanGauge.

The engine in the CVT Insight is different. It has a lower compression ratio, for starters.

·
Registered
95 Posts
hmmmm you know..back in my honda days

Yes, I would get the UltraGauge. Wish I would have known about it before I bought the ScanGauge.

The engine in the CVT Insight is different. It has a lower compression ratio, for starters.
we built frankenstien motors... swaped diferent vtec heads, with differnt bottom ends. Lean burn motor in a cvt.....hmmmm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts