Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been lurking & reading here for the past 2 + years since I bought my 1st Gen Insight.

I am wondering who knows how and where I can find a replacement windshield for my 2003 MT Insight with 155k miles. My local low cost windshield shop can't find any of them to order or trade with anyone in his normal buying resources (& he rattled off lots of other makes and models of windshields that are much more current and popular that he cannot find anywhere right now too!). I also remember reading somewhere that you want a very knowledgeable and careful person doing the job on your Gen1 insight, so any recommendations that way would be great too.

I am located near Modesto & work in Stockton, California. So I am within a 2 hour drive of Sacramento, Fresno & the SF Bay area, but I am also willing to drive down to Scott's shop in SoCal (KLR3CYL) and visit relatives while he works various other magic (belly pan, springs..., maybe more) on the car in October or November, but I haven't figured out how to reach him... (tried but I must have been using a discontinued messaging or emailing link here in InsightCentral). Specific instructions would be very helpful.

Also I really need to get my power windows to work again. I have kept them closed for well over a year, and I know people have written about that here, but navigation on InsightCentral is not intuitive to me..., and I don't use other social networking sites, so none of those references or assumptions will help me.

I love driving it, & I replaced my own Hybrid battery pack with an 8 AmpHr pack from BumbleBee and went with the upgraded 5 year warranty. This was 18 months ago or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
He’s pretty easy to reach, nine oh nine, six oh five, thirty eight ten.
I’m pretty sure he has 3 windshields available.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Kevin,

Re: getting your power windows to work again. Usually it is the driver side window that fails. You will have to isolate the problem as it could be any (or all) of the following:
  • blown power window fuse
  • non-functioning power window motor
  • worn-down brushes within the power window motor
  • busted power window switch
  • power window wiring issues
  • window is "stuck" in the channel, etc

Here are some threads on this issue:

How to remove a motor+regulator assembly with window in...

Driver's side power window motor replacement

Repair Window Regulator Motor Brushes

Stuck Window Regulator Fix with Pics

Search for "power window" here on InsightCentral, you will get many hits and tons of useful information.

And of course Scott can also fix it for you.

Good luck.

George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin,

Re: getting your power windows to work again. Usually it is the driver side window that fails. You will have to isolate the problem as it could be any (or all) of the following:
  • blown power window fuse
  • non-functioning power window motor
  • worn-down brushes within the power window motor
  • busted power window switch
  • power window wiring issues
  • window is "stuck" in the channel, etc

Here are some threads on this issue:

How to remove a motor+regulator assembly with window in...

Driver's side power window motor replacement

Repair Window Regulator Motor Brushes

Stuck Window Regulator Fix with Pics

Search for "power window" here on InsightCentral, you will get many hits and tons of useful information.

And of course Scott can also fix it for you.

Good luck.

George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks George & Scott! This is very helpful! I think a trip to SoCal in October will be the place to start!
Kevin

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Takes a FW02171 and my local Mygrant glass warehouse always had one in stock when I needed one. Hope it's just a temporary supply chain issue as I see they only have them at their Georgia and Florida warehouse for $95.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts