Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went for my first trip in my '10 insight, from Natick MA to Danvers MA. 40.1 miles, 63.1mpg! Now the car has 53 miles on it.

Looks like the sweet spot for milage is 45-50mph.

I'm starting to learn how to have the light foot to scramble the IMA into EV mode between 17-27mph when there's traffic on the highway on interstate 95.

I want my 3 year lease to go as slow as possible.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Micro Management

One thing I noticed with the Insight is the MicroManagement of the gas pedal. A few degrees of pressure makes a big difference. With ECON on, you get more leeway with the gas pedal, but as you get better with control, you can turn it off and you need even more precise control.

A scan gauge can help, but after a while you get a real feel for the optimal gas pedal pressure, it definately takes some practice, but the car can really deliver some high MPGs if you micromange the pedal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
One other thing

The battery on the Insight 2 is very small, so EV mode is possible but only really suitable when you have a lot of recharge coming back to the battery.

When I first got the car, I thought EV mode was Nirvana, but I found that zero assist was really the best way to work the maximum mileage from the car.

If you use EV mode, make sure you have ample opportunity to recharge the battery, oherwise you will find forced recharge taking over and hurting your MPG overall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts