1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last tank was 70.4 mpg:D (58.6 US mpg)

Black_Insight (Honda Insight) | Fuelly

Mods: sidewall psi only.

The last two tanks I've been using 'pulse and glide' on hills. Pulsing on the decline, gliding the incline as much as possible (does it still count as a glide if you all you are doing is coming off throttle? I don't turn off the engine). I live in a hilly area so it's very much a worthwhile technique. That resulted in my tanks jumping by 4-5 mpg.

I've had her six weeks now and so have been on a learning curve in regards to the best ways of treating her, but I'm hoping 70 mpg might become my 'average'. The next tank is almost completed and will be approximately same mpg. Whilst next week she is receiving the software updates and green oil:cool:

Hypermiling bug well and truly caught;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Nice job!

If you're really going to get into hypermiling, I suggest extending your tanks and dropping the fuel level down until it's closer to empty before refilling the tank. You're carrying around and extra 40 or 50 lb (couple of stones) with that much gas (petrol) left in the tank, your best MPGs will come when the tank is closer to empty. Shoot for 600 miles on this tank

Your Fuelly chart looks like you've already come a long way! It definitely is addictive!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job!

If you're really going to get into hypermiling, I suggest extending your tanks and dropping the fuel level down until it's closer to empty before refilling the tank. You're carrying around and extra 40 or 50 lb (couple of stones) with that much gas (petrol) left in the tank, your best MPGs will come when the tank is closer to empty. Shoot for 600 miles on this tank

Your Fuelly chart looks like you've already come a long way! It definitely is addictive!
Of course, running down the tank to near empty makes sense. I think I'm always eager to get a true mpg reading at least once per week:rolleyes: I'll run it down in future.

With any luck I'm hoping to see an extra few mpg with the green oil and all (three I believe mine is due) software updates!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Trust me, the first time you log a 600 mile tank onto Fuelly, you'll never go back to getting gas once a week again!
My next goal is a 700 mile tank, that probably won't happen this tank, but it's something to shoot for.
You can find my car (Turtle) on both Fuelly and Ecomodder, I'm going to all-out hypermile it and see what it will do.

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yep, it took me two solid two months to come up with that Gen-1. Love it so far!

The 58 mpg you got is awesome in a newer one! Keep it up, and every tank try to improve on it. Make sure your tires are pumped up, etc. . . . there are a million tricks to play around with

·
Registered
831 Posts
Biggest tricks for great MPG... tire pressure (LRR tires), easy does it on the go and slow up pedals, and don't use the car as a storage shed.:) That will keep weight down a tad.

Also doesn't hurt to live in a flat area with smooth roads, and mild climate where the wind is always on your tail!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Also doesn't hurt to live in a flat area with smooth roads, and mild climate where the wind is always on your tail!!!
You just described Lakeland Florida!

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Nope. Our gallons are about 20% bigger than yours.
Yes, I know. I believe the ratio is 1.2 making your 70 IMP about 84US, which is quite excellent mpg. :)

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
You're going the wrong way with that1.2 :).

That's ~58mpg US.

·
Registered
1 Posts
70mpg is my aim for a tank too :)

I got my Insight (2010 model) last week and have an average of 65.7mpg (on the computer) but I have only covered 135 miles so far.

One thing I have noticed is the fuel gauge - I filled it on Saturday shortly after collecting it and it is already reading 2/3 full. If I have really used 1/3 tank to cover 135 miles that would equate to a total tank distance of only 400 miles, which is not good. Based on a 40 litre tank, that would equate to 10 miles/litre or 45mpg.

Does anyone with a UK Insight 2 know if the gauge is accurate? I had an Accord previously and if you worked off the gauge, the first 'half' a tank would get you about 350 miles and the second 'half' and 180 miles.

Thanks

james

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
DMT, follow the link at the end of my signature block and add yourself to the high MPG club. There are 2 tabs on the Excel spreadsheet so remember to enter information on both tabs. Congrats.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts