Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first autocross in the Insight last Saturday in Sacramento Region SCCA and won my class (H Stock)! :D

It was a small class, granted, with only three other cars (97 Civic, 89 Tercel, 05 Scion Tc) and I ranked 120th out of a total field of 148 cars based on non-adjusted times. But still I'm stoked that I won the class! :shock: If I can keep this up and attend enough events this year I think I would definitely be able to take a trophy.

Overall the car performed just great. I had ample grip (with Dunlop SP8000 195/55 tires) and could pretty much position the car wherever I wanted. I ran with 40 psi front and 36 psi rear pressures.

The only problem I had was, of course, low-end power. Coming out of hairpins in 2nd gear is a real drag. I wonder if it would have been worth it to downshift to 1st?

Anyway, 3 cheers for the humble Insight! :lol:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Congrats.

P.S. I don't think the Tc is suppose to be H class, so I would do some checking. He may be trying to run in a lower class. Just a thought.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gomarlins3 said:
Congrats.

P.S. I don't think the Tc is suppose to be H class, so I would do some checking. He may be trying to run in a lower class. Just a thought.
Thanks, I'll check on it. Not only that, but he also ran with a carbon fiber hood, which is illegal in the class. He asked me about it beforehand, and it was his first-ever autocross, so I didn't make a fuss.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
commuter said:
Now all you have to do is get a set of Kuhmo 710 "R" compounds and you will be un-touchable!!! Bring on the Carbon Fiber hoods and all!!
Actually, I do have a set! I scored a used set of these very tires (size 195/55-14) mounted on steel wheels off Craigslist for the tidy sum of $100. I chose not to use them the first time out with the car because I wanted to see how it handles on street tires. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth running them on the steel wheels or if I should wait until I can find some cheap alloys to remount them on.

Part of me thinks the heavier steel wheels will literally outweigh the benefits of the sticky tires. One of the car's shortcomings is low-speed acceleration (such as coming out of a hairpin) and I think the steel wheels will only make this worse. It's strength, of course, is nimble, light-on-its-feet handling, and I don't want to compromise that. Your thoughts?

Oh well, I guess all I can do is try it and see what happens. :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
The steelies will not have much effect. Especially in the begining. Run the "R" compounds. Maybe later you could get a set of the Civic HX wheels. I paid $400.00 for factory blems on ebay. They weigh 11.5 pounds each and they are 14X5.5 so you can stay in HS class. $100 for the tires is awesome. They cost $125 EACH new. You will seriously cut 2 seconds off your time with or without the alloys. Where do you live? What region are you running in?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK then, I will run the Kumhos next time.

I run in Sacramento Region SCCA. Most events are at the San Joaquin County Fairgrounds in Stockton.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts