Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I 've had my insight for about 4 1/2 years. It came with a grid charger and as of about six months ago, I have been grid charging with some success. As of late, I've been getting the typical IMA codes which indicate a bad battery. I'd reset it and sometimes it would last a couple of hundred miles and other times it would pop the code after only a few miles. I decided to make the investment in a Hybrid Automotive Discharger which I just put in this morning. The install was straight forward except for one thing; a family of mice decided to make a home in the IMA battery area. They took particular interest in the cooling fan area and built quite a nest in the void between the fan and the battery. I cleaned it out and the fan works as it should. I've read that the Achilles Heel of the Honda IMA battery is cooling so I can't imagine having 80% of the cooling compromised would be very good for the whole system. Anyway, I'm discharging right now as per the instructions. I will post the results of my discharge journey. I figure the whole process is going to take about a week. I am hoping it will breathe new life into my marginal battery.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought a used IMA battery pack a month ago. The previous owner had the IMA switch off and discarded the whole drive train. Anyway, I checked the voltage taps and they were all over the place ranging from 9-13v, so obviously, very poorly imbalanced, but were the sticks truly bad? I was eager to find out. I did the charge/discharge cycle, load tested each stick, recharged and let it sit for 3 weeks for a self-discharge test and I was pleased to see only a .15v spread between the lowest and highest voltage of each stick. Reconditioning these batteries work really well, but not for all cases.

I did the exact same procedure on a set of loose 20 sticks in unknown condition that barely had any voltage in each stick. In fact, all 20 sticks combined came out to 9v?! They all passed the load test, but I had to get rid of 3 after 3 weeks of self-discharging as they were beyond .2v from the rest.

With your symptoms, I would assume a reconditioning will most likely work in your scenario. If not, it's not too terribly difficult to weed out the bad ones, but replacing with similar matching ones takes some time. You need to graph out your sticks and match the self-discharge rates as best as possible so you don't run into another IMA light. Good luck!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I finished doing the deep discharge procedure this morning with a 30+ hour final grid charge. Three discharges in total with the final one being to 60v. I took the car on a quick 12 mile test run and so far so good. The SOC is full and I did not throw a code. I am commuting to work today so that will be a good test. 100 miles. I will post another update in a week or so. For reference, the discharge phases took about eight hours but may have been quicker. I did not sit and watch the smart discharger. I charged the battery until the voltage leveled out and then another six hours after that. Crossing my fingers that It's all good.

·
Registered
628 Posts
So I finished doing the deep discharge procedure this morning with a 30+ hour final grid charge. Three discharges in total with the final one being to 60v. I took the car on a quick 12 mile test run and so far so good. The SOC is full and I did not throw a code. I am commuting to work today so that will be a good test. 100 miles. I will post another update in a week or so. For reference, the discharge phases took about eight hours but may have been quicker. I did not sit and watch the smart discharger. I charged the battery until the voltage leveled out and then another six hours after that. Crossing my fingers that It's all good.
The combined experience here is that you did the right thing and that your battery will be fine if it was reclaimable. I ran the charge/discharge three cycle on my battery and it is still thanking me for it. It is in the shop now for a frozen right rear wheel. When it comes home I will back it up to the garage and run the three cycle routine again. It's been about a year. My pinhead intellect tells me that this three cycle charge/discharge routine is like changing the oil.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The combined experience here is that you did the right thing and that your battery will be fine if it was reclaimable. I ran the charge/discharge three cycle on my battery and it is still thanking me for it. It is in the shop now for a frozen right rear wheel. When it comes home I will back it up to the garage and run the three cycle routine again. It's been about a year. My pinhead intellect tells me that this three cycle charge/discharge routine is like changing the oil.
So my 100 mile commute was typical Honda. No drama. No IMA. No CEL. All good. SOC did not do any recals. I'm very optimistic that I may have extended the life of my big batt for a little while at least. I will post in a month or so with an update. Stay safe all.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Deep discharging wins again. I wonder how many savable packs were thrown out, and thousands of dollars wasted on replacement packs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts