Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I discovered the first ding in my beautiful "little green hornet". :cry:

There is a tiny scratch in the finish on the passenger side. I tried to wipe it off, hoping it was a bit of wax, but it stayed. Then the light caught the spot as I moved to the rear of the car and it is definitely a ding, a very tiny depression. Really it's so extremely small that I do not think anyone but myself sees it.

Still, it was a sad observation after a long day at work. Someone in the parking garage may have parked too close and carelessly flung open their door. I don't know. Just venting I guess.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Welcome to the club!

The best way to avoid door dings is to practice active parking. Meaning, since most cars usually only have one occupant (the driver), try parking on the left side of a parking space. You want to leave room on the right side for the other car's driver to open their door. Also try to get the end spot on the right of any parking row. Then you won't have anyone to your right and can park all way to the right in that space.

Also, when approaching a row of five parking spots with the ends being occupied, don't pick the middle space. Most people pick it thinking they have a space between them now. But most of the time another car will park along side one of those empty spots and right next to you. So take the farthest left parking space. This lets you decide the distance to your left and get more distance to the right.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Thanks Resist, those are great tips. Do you ever park at a slight angle, or at some distance from other cars? Many a time I've parked away from other cars and returned to find a huge truck or SUV has decided to get cozy. Sheeesh! :roll:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
If you want the dent to be gone those paintless dent removal people can do some pretty amazing stuff. I need to have my two tapped out one of these days.

As for the scratch you wern't very specific. Is it light or deep? If it's just in the clear and maybe even just a slight scuff you can possibly remove it by hand using Meguiar's ScratchX (stay away from compounds, they'll ruin your clear coat). Get some foam pads and work a dab of it in thoroughly then wipe away with a clean towel. It's by far the best by hand paint cleaner I've found.

Unfortunately if it's too deep then you'll need an air brush toucher.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well, I never park at an angle because there will always be a point on your car where some idiot can get close to you.

No matter how far out in the boonies of a parking lot you park, someone else always drives way out there and has to park right next to you. It's as if they can't line up properly in a parking space without another car along side of them to guide by.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The best tip I can give is to park beside a toy car - that is, a muscle car or something sporty. (not an option during the winter, unfortunately) The drivers of those cars tend to be more careful with their doors so they don't damage their own paint. Vehicles likely to be carrying children (vans, SUVs, and family cars) should be avoided.

You can also try taking up more than one space. Although it's rude to do so, accusing glares are less expensive than repairing dents and scratches.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Foxpaw said:
You can also try taking up more than one space. Although it's rude to do so, accusing glares are less expensive than repairing dents and scratches.
I would advise against this practice. It's more than being rude, it's hazardous to your car. I know of more than one person who got so pissed off at cars parking like this, that they keyed the cars paint.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the helpful suggestions...they make sense.

I'll try to position the car a little further towards the left in the space and also look for a parking space in the vicinity of the attorney w/ the Jaguar. 8) His car is spotless.

The scratch itself is whitish in color and appears scuff-like. Don't know if it went thru past the clear coat to the paint, but I will plan to pick up some Maguire's Scratch-X and try a dab of that. At least if I can repair the coat then my eyes are less likey to zoom over to the ding mark, miniscule as it is.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sounds like you got a little bit of paint transfer possibly (though I can't say for sure without a picture). The ScratchX should cut right though that if thats what it is.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Resist said:
The best way to avoid door dings is to practice active parking.

I park in the distant empty lot. It's good for the car (no dings) and good for me (exercise).

troy :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a quick thank-you for the helpful replies. :)

I have started practicing the active parking tips. Also this weekend I tried the Maguires Scratch-X. It worked great. There did seem to be some paint transfer (had not thought of that) so I cleaned it off with my finger nail wrapped in a damp cotton cloth. Two cleaning and Scratch-X passes and now the scratch is 99% gone...might try a third pass, but I'll practically need a magnifying glass to even find the spot!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Good to hear that. That ScratchX stuff is pretty impressive for a by hand application.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts