Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. The first post I came across on this website was that of recent scams, so I want to start by saying that I just bought a first gen insight with 148,000mi and I'm not a scammer. I purchased the car with the IMA light on and p1447. Where do I start with diagnostics? Thanks.
Nemo.

·
Premium Member
2000 Silver M/T
1,210 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nobody is gonna accuse you of being a scammer unless you're asking for money or necroposting with irrelevant information. You have battery degradation, and you'll want to pull up the blink codes. This is an extremely common issue, and you'll find that many of us have moved onto Lithium. It's possible to squeeze some life out of the original IMA's, but it's a lot of effort. There's a lot of content on the forum, just spend some time search on IMA related keywords.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Per Honda:

DTC P1447 (77): Battery Module Deterioration

Replace the battery module.

I've been down this road a few times in my almost 9 years and 100,000 miles of owning my G1, I tried grid charging but for me the new battery pack is the best long term no fuss solution.

With gas at $6.29 the value of getting 50mpg plus helps with the math.

Reactions: Meanblock

·
Registered
235 Posts
The most gentle approach to fixing, or at least getting your pack to a healthy status, is to attain a grid charger, or build one, and build a discharger.

Both are very straight forward to make, and both will get your pack nice and healthy.

The biggest downside is TIME. If you can skip driving the Insight for a week, you canat least get the pack healthy enough to start doing proepr diagnosis.

You will have electrical issues all day long if the pack is not healthy, and the 12v side of things isnt healthy (is the 12v battery good, are the grounds good, is the ELD good, etc..)

Discharge with a pair of cheap light bulbs and sockets. If you get the sockets with wires, put them into series. This gives you the opportunity to buy a pair of low power bulbs and a pair of high power bulbs. You kill a chunk of voltage with the high power bulbs down to around 140 votls or so, unplug and let pack settle for 2-3 hours, then plug the low power bulbs in and elt it drain til 100-120 volts. Let the pack settle for a few hours, then grid charge back to full, let it settle for a few hours, the do the low power bulbs and discharge as far as 3-4 days will take. THen you elt the pack settle again for a few hours, and let it grid charge.

Then you can unhook your grid charger, wait a couple hours for the pack to fully settle, pull the IMA fuse under the dash (7.5 amp I beleive) or the 30amp pink ACC/initialization fuse under the hood (you have the correct fuse when your keyless remote doesnt do anything), and sit for a minute or two.

Then the next time you fire up the car, it will need to perform a positive re-calibration. It will charge the pack and measure how much effort the pack is making to accept the charge. If it doesnt like what it sees, it throws an IMA light. If it is satisfied for the time being, you go out on a 2-3 hour drive to cycle everything.

Reactions: double11

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
P1447 is the least 'bad' of the codes and most of the time(like, 90%) is fixed by simply grid charging the pack. I would cease driving it until this time if I was you

Reactions: Atheos

·
Super Moderator
9,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Lots of smart folks here. Learn to use the search line at top of page :)

·
Linsight Designer
3,892 Posts
I maintain my version of the G1 Insight service manuals here. It's sorted how I like it, based on my decade+ of referencing it all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a pretty much new MaxxVolts grid charger for sale. Never used it because I bought the RB Batteries Grid Charger with the discharged kit.
I still went ahead and bought a new 8ah BeeMax Battery after all that.

Anyways, let me know if you’re interested in the grid charger

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the discharge/ grid charger will be the easiest to get the battery up to working condition. You'll probably be replacing the battery sooner than later though.. I've replace the battery twice in my G1 already and currently weighing my options in search of another

1 - 10 of 10 Posts