Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been the proud owner of a 2000 Honda Insight for several months now ant sadly haven't had the chance to see the top end mileage it can get. Most of my driving is around 70-80 mph and is clearly not an ideal speed for top end mileage. On 70 mile trips averaging 59 mph (most of it around 70-80) I will get about 70 mpg. I know from experience with my families other hybrids(2004 and 2013 civic's and 2010 Insight, all hybrids) that they would be getting somewhere in the high 40's to low 50's at these speeds.

I just want to know what you guys and gals will get in terms of mpg's at these speeds.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
55 MPG at 70-80 miles/hour

·
Banned
1,353 Posts
I get about 52mpg at 75-80mph, but that was on winter tires and I have a smashed underbody panel behind my bumper that is sort of missing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Curious... What part of the east coast are you on? I'm knocking down around 55 MPG at 70 MPH on my trips to and through the Carolinas, going a little slower yields up to 10 mpg higher, but still haven't hit 70 MPG yet over longer stretches. The hilly terrain makes it rather difficult to maintain lean burn for me. Wondering if the area you're in is flatter, which would make it easier to maintain that?

·
Registered
894 Posts
YMMV between Insights. A high-speed 75mpg drive will bring MPG down to mid to low fifties, vs. 65-70 for going the same route at 55mph.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Curious... What part of the east coast are you on? I'm knocking down around 55 MPG at 70 MPH on my trips to and through the Carolinas, going a little slower yields up to 10 mpg higher, but still haven't hit 70 MPG yet over longer stretches. The hilly terrain makes it rather difficult to maintain lean burn for me. Wondering if the area you're in is flatter, which would make it easier to maintain that?

On the contrary, you can have fun with lean burn if you modulate the throttle just right and aren't afraid to downshift to 3rd for going up a hill, and want to use lean-burn and momentum to bleed off uphill speed as slowly as possible. Coming downhill, depending on grade, lean-burn in fifth should be a foregone conclusion, unless you're braking.

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
On 70 mile trips averaging 59 mph (most of it around 70-80) I will get about 70 mpg.
That sounds about right for an Insight with OEM tires that's not being hypermiled.

I recently drove 5,000 miles through Europe with my wife and our luggage for an 8-week road trip (i.e., our car was probably at the maximum gross vehicle weight). My Insight has all its aero panels intact. It has been driven only ~50,000 miles, so its engine should be in great condition. I have OEM tires overinflated a bit to 44F/41R. Most of the driving was at highway speeds of 110-120 kph (68-75 mph), with the A/C on for maybe 10% of the distance, and with headwinds and/or rain for probably 10% of the distance. I always use cruise control on the highway which isn't the most economical way to drive. I also use MIMA set to maximum assist and regen so that my car is able to climb moderate inclines in 5th gear without downshifting while regenerating in lean burn mode on declines. This results in very aggressive assist and regen which some claim reduces fuel efficiency. It could not hurt fuel efficiency very much because I averaged 68 mpg of very expensive European gasoline over 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Most of the driving was at highway speeds of 110-120 kph (68-75 mph), with the A/C on for maybe 10% of the ....... because I averaged 68 mpg of very expensive European gasoline over 5,000 miles.
Art, that works out at approx. 3.4 l/100km !!!!! That is fantastic for that speed!
Or were you quoting in Imperial gallons? i.e. 68 mpg Imp = 56 mpg US or 4.2 l/100km ??
Sorry to cast a doubt, but I get approx 3.8-3.9 l/100 at speeds of around 120 kph on the autobahn. (2 light people, no luggage). This works out at 62 US and compares with figures quoted earlier in this thread.

This rises to 5.5 l/100 (43 US) if I keep around 140-150 kph (90 mph). But I don't do this very often.

Servus,
David

·
Read Only
2,009 Posts
Art, that works out at approx. 3.4 l/100km !!!!! That is fantastic for that speed!
All 8,000 km weren't at 110-120 kph. Some of my driving occurred in cities where my fuel efficiency would have been lower. But some driving also occurred at slower highway speeds where fuel efficiency would have been higher. So 3.45 l/100 km was what I averaged which is better than what I experience at 120 kph. On a level road in warm weather with no wind, I typically see ~68 mpg at 68 mph (easy to remember) (3.45 l/100 km at 110 kph). At these fuel efficiency levels, fuel consumption rates are very sensitive to very slight differences between cars, weather and road conditions, etc.

This was my 3rd long road trip through Europe. When I travelled 5,000 km through Sweden and Norway, I averaged 3.00 l/100 km due to almost ideal highway speed limits of 90 kph, almost no A/C use, and little wind or rain (amazing for Norway :) I averaged a slightly better 3.40 l/100 km on an earlier 8,000 km European road trip with less A/C use, so it's no fluke.

Or were you quoting in Imperial gallons?
No, my U.S. Insight displays only U.S. gallons or liters.

Sorry to cast a doubt, but I get approx 3.8-3.9 l/100 at speeds of around 120 kph on the autobahn.
I think I do slightly better than that maybe due to my RE92's, but I'm certainly in the same ballpark.

This rises to 5.5 l/100 (43 US) if I keep around 140-150 kph (90 mph). But I don't do this very often.
I rarely cruise above 120 kph because that's about where VTEC shifts away from fuel economy mode and where lean burn is almost impossible to maintain (and most importantly, where my wife's comfort zone has been exceeded :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
a non sequitur:

3rd gen Prius gets 39-40 mpg at 80mph.
45-47 mpg at 70-75mph.
This all in 80 deg F weather in slight rolling hills for parts of it, some flat land.

I've experienced this over 120 mile segment from Olympia to Portland.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I managed 71.9 mpg from shreveport LA to orange beach AL at 65-80 over 687.1 miles. You can do it but you have to be ready to exceed the limit at the very edge of lean burn down hill and then bleed the speed until you need assist over the next one. I dont think you could do this on flat level ground, but the south east US works quite well.

·
Hypermiler
3,650 Posts
Silver Space:

I think you'll see varying answers that vary with weather conditions and terrain.

With good weather, no wind, night time and little traffic, I ran about 65 mpg or so running 70-80 mph from CT to PA on hilly/mountainous terrain. About 425 miles.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I commute 88 miles each way (with 70 of the 88 miles being highway) to work at speeds of 70-90+ MPH (of course, being in the SE, i have A/C running most of the time), modest hilly terrain, on an automatic transmission, with no underbody splash guards.

I have been doing this commute 5 days a week for 3 years and never have been above 50 MPG. My life time average (with 140K miles on the odometer is 45 MPG). I typically get 45-48 MPG.

Are all these 50+ MPG done on a manual or automatic transmissions, with AC running or not? I would expect these higher MPG to be on manual transmissions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I usually drive 70-75mph on flat roads(speed limit is 70 on the highway I commute on) and I get about 65mpg average.

I never thought I would ever want the speed limit to be lower but this hybrid does weird things to the way you think about driving.

·
Registered
119 Posts
These are all pretty difficult numbers for me to digest. I've only had my 06 for about 9 months now and don't get nearly those kind of numbers. When I bought the car it's lifetime was 50mpg. I'm running non oem knock off tires, with all the lower panels intact. I'm burning California gas, which I suspect to be worse than average. I'm lucky if I can maintain a 55mpg average.
My lean burn doesn't come on until I drop to about 58, and drops off at 60 or 60mph. I have a hard time maintaining speed and lean burn in 5th gear on flat roads, it just loses speed without the torque to keep it moving.
If I drive below 58, down to 54 or 55, I can stay in lean burn and see 75-85 in the FCD.
One of my problems is that on my way to work, I'm always in a rush, and drive 65-75mph, over the 20 miles. Plus there are a number on freeway interchanges, 1 bridge to cross, and a lot of exercising of the pedal. On the way home at 2am, when there aren't so many cars on the road, I can drive slower and get the mpg up. I'm looking forward to having the IMAC&C to help balance the exercising of the battery, and use gradual assist with less regen. It bites when I start my commute home, and spend half of the time in regen so I can get into lean burn.
Don

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
These are all pretty difficult numbers for me to digest. I've only had my 06 for about 9 months now and don't get nearly those kind of numbers. When I bought the car it's lifetime was 50mpg. I'm running non oem knock off tires, with all the lower panels intact. I'm burning California gas, which I suspect to be worse than average. I'm lucky if I can maintain a 55mpg average.
My lean burn doesn't come on until I drop to about 58, and drops off at 60 or 60mph. I have a hard time maintaining speed and lean burn in 5th gear on flat roads, it just loses speed without the torque to keep it moving.
If I drive below 58, down to 54 or 55, I can stay in lean burn and see 75-85 in the FCD.
One of my problems is that on my way to work, I'm always in a rush, and drive 65-75mph, over the 20 miles. Plus there are a number on freeway interchanges, 1 bridge to cross, and a lot of exercising of the pedal. On the way home at 2am, when there aren't so many cars on the road, I can drive slower and get the mpg up. I'm looking forward to having the IMAC&C to help balance the exercising of the battery, and use gradual assist with less regen. It bites when I start my commute home, and spend half of the time in regen so I can get into lean burn.
Don
The tires are what's killing you. I have never seen a report where the best tire vs the Re92's was still within 5mpg. Those knockoff tires are probably draining you 8-15mpg.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Balto- Thats nice to hear. I just bought set of RE-92's, but can't justify installing them until these knock offs have worn down. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Balto- Thats nice to hear. I just bought set of RE-92's, but can't justify installing them until these knock offs have worn down. Thanks
How much tread is left? You might be able to swap them then get the knockoffs on Craigslist.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts