Honda Insight Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My daughter just called and I had to trailer her little red Insight home. It quit going into reverse and she was afraid of getting stranded. Now in the light of day I see the select lever will walk out when she tries to put the car in reverse. If I manually hold the lever in place all is well... Has anyone seen this before?
According to the parts blowup there is a "roller" and a "flange bolt" that appear to be what keeps the lever in place. Not sure if the roller has worn through or ? Gonna take out the flange bolt and try a magnet to see if the roller will come out too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm surprised no one has answered. I've never heard of such a problem. I have a parts car in Battle Ground, WA if you need the assembly. There's no engine or interior in my car so I think it is probably easy to remove.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm surprised no one has answered. I've never heard of such a problem. I have a parts car in Battle Ground, WA if you need the assembly. There's no engine or interior in my car so I think it is probably easy to remove.
Thanks so much! I may take you up on it. I'm going to check with the local dealer to see if they stock the piece. Would you be interested in selling the whole tranny?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks so much! I may take you up on it. I'm going to check with the local dealer to see if they stock the piece. Would you be interested in selling the whole tranny?
I probably misunderstood your problem. I thought the problem was with the shifter. My engine and trans are gone, but I'm sure someone around IC has a transmission or some parts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. It's not the shifter itself or the cables rather the "select lever" in the transmission itself. It's the horizontal shaft that's toward the right of the vertical selector shaft. It wants to walk out toward the rear of the car. I can manually hold it in place and the car will go into reverse but if I don't hold it the shaft wants to back out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
BTW, thanks for talking it through with me. I've not seen anything like this before.
I don't know if this video is helpful. This helped me when I took mine apart a few years ago:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts