Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2003 Insight with the 5 speed manual and A/C at the Copart auction in Phoenix. It had 127k miles and was donated. I did a carfax and found out it was a 1 owner car and had spent its entire life in Arizona. The owner always serviced it at Honda dealers and had it recently fully serviced prior to donating it. Other than the battery needing a charge from sitting so long, she runs great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
Looks like a very nice example. Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Grid charge that battery before using it. May be good but hammering on unbalanced batteries can hurt them.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
With a grid charger. ��

Basically you use a high voltage power supply to charge the battery to full at a very slow rate.

Depending on your local resources, you can borrow, rent, build, or purchase one. Or pay a shop to provide the service for or I stall the equipment for you.

Can cost up to $1,000 or so of you get a super fancy high end one. Or free of you have a bunch of electronic parts lying around that you can repurpose.

Also you may want to add your location to your profile here in the site.

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
Looks like a very nice example. Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Grid charge that battery before using it. May be good but hammering on unbalanced batteries can hurt them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Welcome to the Insight family! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you don't mind sharing, what was your out the door cost and copart experience like? It seems like a cheap way to get an Insight, so long as you consider the fees into your bid price.

Lansing has a copart location and I inspected a truck for my wife and they were friendly and allowed me to fully inspect it. Unfortunately, I got outbid, but felt much more confident in the process after doing a personal inspection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually the whole thing was much simpler than I expected. I was in CA and the car was in AZ so I needed a broker. I used Advance Motors. I went to their website, registered and put down a $400 deposit on my cc. Then they gave me a log on and password for Copart. I waited for the live auction (because if you pre-bid, you cannot bid in the live auction and whatever your final pre-bid was is as high as you can go.)

I won the car for $1150. Advance Motors sent me an invoice for a little over $1700. This includes their $200 fee plus the fee to Copart which was about $350 plus Copart charges a $69 terminal fee and a $59 gate fee. I sent them a wire transfer and once received they refunded my $400 deposit. They then sent me an email saying the car is ready for pick up. I went to Phoenix with a trailer.

At the Copart facility they gave me a receipt and told me to give it to the lot guy. They brought it out on a giant forklift and put it right on my trailer. All keys were in it. I put a jumper box on it and it started right up. Then I tied it down and drove 6 hours home.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You got a good car there and at a good price. They are great cars! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. No, enjoy it more, if that is possible. Anyway, just have fun with it. And welcome to the board.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for the info and feedback on your experience. That was helpful. Living on the West coast, it seems you could have found one pretty easily right in CA, but I'm sure more than $1,700. Seems like you got a good deal. Congrats!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are around here in California although they are still rare. Part of the reason I bought it through Copart was because it gave me a chance to try buying a vehicle through Copart Auctions. It was also a clean title vehicle and was exactly what I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Do you have access to a computer? If so please include your Location in your Profile as all G1 Insighters have done. For some reason those new fangled cell phones don't work right here at ICN.

Willie

·
Super Moderator
6,883 Posts
They are getting relative rare everywhere, particularl those having relatively low mileage. It looks like a good car, but for myself I'd prefer to drive a car and see directly what I'm getting. The "rough running" would bother me.

I hope you have some mechanical skills because the car value kinda precludes paying mechanics and dealers to repair the cars.

"Runs and drives" does no assure a good IMA battery, so that is one of your immediate concerns. I would try to get a grid charger on it right away for 30 hours at 300mA. You can then see whether you got a decent battery. I'd bet against that, since that is one of the more frequent reasons to abandon an Insight. With your commute length, you can bypass the battery ad run without IMA and still get excellent mileage, but you acceleration will suffer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually it doesnt run rough at all. Im not sure whatbthey were talking about but it runs smooth. The previous owner only had it serviced at Honda dealers and even had a maintenance completed prior to donating it.

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Take it on a long trip and try not to get to aggressive on the ASSIST.
A charger is a good investment if you intend to keep the Insight for a long time.
What part of SD are you in. That can dictate how much assist is used.

HTH
Willie

·
Premium Member
9,756 Posts
Check your PM'S in 5 minutes.
Willie

1 - 20 of 28 Posts