Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just received a 2001 Honda Insight with 22x,xxx miles from my parents for my birthday. They got a fairly good deal on it (around $3500). When i went to a vacant parking lot to learn from my dad how to drive a 5spd, the car just died after a while. We were finally able to get it home with no lights or gauges. I let it sit for a day while I hoped that the battery stored up enough juice to start. While I let it sit, I researched some problems it had. Found out that fuse 4 in the dash was blown (controls DC-DC converter). That fixed some of the error lights (battery & check engine light on).
The previous owner hadn't done anything to the car besides the normal oil & tire change. He isn't very technically inclined, so I know that he doesn't know all about how the car works.
Being young, naturally I want to put a nice stereo in this, especially with the crappy tin sounding stock door speakers.
My questions are, what should I replace/modify/fix on this car being with how many miles it has? What head unit would you recommend, & what door speakers should i buy? Also, to power my new system, should i install a second 12v battery?
TIA,
MrFox

·
Registered
63 Posts
...What head unit would you recommend, & what door speakers should i buy?...
MrFox
I recommend the JVC KD-X80BT headunit. It has usb inputs and bluetooth for phone and streaming. A common speaker swap is the POLK AUDIO DB651S. This is my setup and I think it's pretty good.

Congratulations on an awesome birthday present!

-Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I recommend the JVC KD-X80BT headunit. It has usb inputs and bluetooth for phone and streaming. A common speaker swap is the POLK AUDIO DB651S. This is my setup and I think it's pretty good.

Congratulations on an awesome birthday present!

-Dan
Thanks Dan, loving it so far! I never really considered a JVC because I have heard that the brand in general is bad quality. What are your thoughts on that? Also, I will look into those Polks.

Sent from my Droid Razr

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks Dan, loving it so far! I never really considered a JVC because I have heard that the brand in general is bad quality. What are your thoughts on that? Also, I will look into those Polks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I really like it. The only part I have seen any stereo fail was either the tape or CD mechanism, this one has neither.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like it. The only part I have seen any stereo fail was either the tape or CD mechanism, this one has neither.
Thanks for the quick reply! I only listen to music through my phone, so that is a big plus. Less things to worry about breaking. I will definitely put that head unit into consideration.

Sent from my Droid Razr

·
Administrator
11,791 Posts
You don't need a second 12v battery for your stereo, but you do need to charge and check the 12v battery under the hood and check the grounds straps which are well documented on here.

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
You don't need a second 12v battery for your stereo, but you do need to charge and check the 12v battery under the hood and check the grounds straps which are well documented on here.
Remove the 12v and have it charged or checked at an Autozone. That will have it out of the car, which will reset some of the lights and codes. Then take the car to Autozone and let them read out the ECM codes. Some other autoparts stores provide the same free service. Report back:)

·
3,641 Posts
My questions are, what should I replace/modify/fix on this car being with how many miles it has? TIA,
MrFox
Happy Birthday and congrats on your sweet ride!

The "Dos": Start with the above remedies (12V battery and ground straps and check for codes). Catch up on transmission fluid change and coolant change (Honda blue) if not documented. Clean EGR plate. Check status of underbody "spoilers".

As far as mods, I recomend the leather steering wheel from an RSX or S2000, armrest (aftermarket or adapt from a Civic), legal tint, and a Fumoto oil drain valve.

As far as the "don'ts" There shall be no big aluminum ricer wing on G1 Insights, you hear? ;)

·
3,641 Posts
Also, put your location in your User Profile.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remove the 12v and have it charged or checked at an Autozone. That will have it out of the car, which will reset some of the lights and codes. Then take the car to Autozone and let them read out the ECM codes. Some other autoparts stores provide the same free service. Report back:)
Happy Birthday and congrats on your sweet ride!

The "Dos": Start with the above remedies (12V battery and ground straps and check for codes). Catch up on transmission fluid change and coolant change (Honda blue) if not documented. Clean EGR plate. Check status of underbody "spoilers".

As far as mods, I recomend the leather steering wheel from an RSX or S2000, armrest (aftermarket or adapt from a Civic), legal tint, and a Fumoto oil drain valve.

As far as the "don'ts" There shall be no big aluminum ricer wing on G1 Insights, you hear? ;)
Also, put your location in your User Profile.
Thanks for all the replies guys, y'all don't mess around! I will be taking my Insight to Advanced Auto Parts to have the battery checked & charged. While they have the battery out of the car, what should I look for on the battery ground straps (oxidation, etc.)? When I have them check the ECM codes, should I just write them down & post them here? I will also have the fluids changed soon.
Freezin: There will NEVER be a huge spoiler on any of my cars. I may be 16, but I'm not stupid. Lol. I will definitely be looking into how to clean the egr plate & the steering wheel and arm rest mods.
I will be updating my location later today, but if it helps anyone for the moment, I live in the Nashville, Tennessee area.

Sent from my Droid Razr

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys!
Took the Insight out for the first time after I replaced the fuse, & I must say, it is running like a champ! I went to Advanced Auto Parts while I was out, they said the battery was fine and they also checked the ECM for codes and only found 2.
P1449
This code had no definition for that code in their computer.
P0420
The definition for this code was "Catalyst below threshold"
Anyone know what these two codes mean?
I might get a chance to check the ground straps this weekend. I will need to get the seals & gaskets for the EGR plate.

Thanks for all the help, guys!
MrFox

·
Premium Member
2001 5S "Turbo"
10,708 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here is some help:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqEDknyr-8undDFWc09lRGRHRS0zSGJ2UXFJWGpXV2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Willie
Being a new member it is also advised for you to be prepared to sit down at the computer, and spend a lot of time reading the threads here at ICN. A world of information and knowledge.

HTH
Willie
Trust me, I know. Lol. I've probably already spent 20+ hours lurking on here, even before I made an account.
EDIT: Thanks for the spreadsheet, btw.

·
3,641 Posts
Lol. I've probably already spent 20+ hours lurking on here, even before I made an account.
Excellent! There'll be a 100 question pop-quiz on Insight Design and Fundamentals next week. :)

The ground straps are visible with hood open, on the driver's side. Just look below and around black air filter box.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent! There'll be a 100 question pop-quiz on Insight Design and Fundamentals next week. :)

The ground straps are visible with hood open, on the driver's side. Just look below and around black air filter box.
I shall be prepared! ;) Thanks for the tip. I will probably check the straps later today or this weekend. Is there a possibility that fixing the grounds straps will fix the P1449 error code? I really don't want to replace the battery...

Sent from my Droid Razr

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys.
Checked the ground straps, they're all good. To be honest, idk if this is the car for me. I love the savings in gas, but having to replace a $2000 battery in maybe a year doesn't sound too attractive. I'm looking for something maybe more teen-friendly. Maybe an Integra. My dad said that he might let me sell the Insight for a profit (going price around here for a '00-'01 is about $6000) and buy something else. With six grand I could buy a nice GSR Integra & fix it up a little. I enjoy working on my own stuff (Dad likes it because it saves him money ;) ) but I think the Insight's are just too complicated for me, being that it is my first car of my very own that I can learn on. What do you guys think? The car runs great, I just know that, because of the age, the battery will need replacing soon, & I would really like something a little more "fun" to drive..
On a side note: If I do decide to sell the Insight, what do you think of these 'Tegs?
2000 GSR Acura Integra
2001 Acura Integra GSR!
99 acura integra
TIA,
MrFox

·
7,188 Posts
Hmm. Damn, 16. I wish I would have owned an Insight when I was 16. :)

This is really a tough one.. There are so many things at play. Obviously none of us know you personally, so it's really hard to say whether the Insight is for you.

Why did your parents pick it for you?

The Insight is a 12 year old car. It definitely has some complicated systems, but so do all cars - depending on your level of understanding. Technologically advanced cars aren't going to disappear anytime soon, so it would make more sense to embrace it I think, especially since you're so young. Hybrids and EVs are only going to become more prevalent.

You can drive the Insight like a normal car and still get great fuel economy. It's only when you truly learn the ropes that you can get 80+mpg.

If you had a P1449 error code, the IMA battery is already bad and the IMA light should be on. If it is not, it was likely reset during all the 12V work.

If the IMA light is on and/or the battery is bad, it's no wonder you're not happy with the car. The Insight is a real dog without IMA working. It really comes to life and is much, much more peppy and fun to drive with a good battery in it.

Unfortunately you won't get 6k out of the car with a bad battery and 200k+ miles. The price paid for the Insight is good and basically pays for a new battery, and guarantees that you'll get many tens of thousands of miles out of the car with no more than minor parts and basic maintenance.

Next let's think about a 12 year old Integra. I'm not intimately familiar with them like I am the Insight and I know they're a typical Honda(ie: reliable), but you're kidding yourself if you think any 12 year old car isn't going to need work. In fact, I would say it's much more likely an Integra is going to need work at 12 years and 200k+ miles. Why? Because teenagers like to drive Integras. :D

In general, an Insight is likely to have been driven gently.

I dunno. Seriously consider keeping the Insight. Gas prices are cheap right now, but they could easily not be. Imagine the freedom that 50-70mpg could give you when all of your friends are broke and have no money for gas. ;)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hey guys.
Checked the ground straps, they're all good. To be honest, idk if this is the car for me. I love the savings in gas, but having to replace a $2000 battery in maybe a year doesn't sound too attractive. I'm looking for something maybe more teen-friendly. Maybe an Integra. My dad said that he might let me sell the Insight for a profit (going price around here for a '00-'01 is about $6000) and buy something else. With six grand I could buy a nice GSR Integra & fix it up a little. I enjoy working on my own stuff (Dad likes it because it saves him money ;) ) but I think the Insight's are just too complicated for me, being that it is my first car of my very own that I can learn on. What do you guys think? The car runs great, I just know that, because of the age, the battery will need replacing soon, & I would really like something a little more "fun" to drive..
On a side note: If I do decide to sell the Insight, what do you think of these 'Tegs?
2000 GSR Acura Integra
2001 Acura Integra GSR!
99 acura integra
TIA,
MrFox
It depends on what your priorities are. If you want to save gas, keep the Insight, and hang in there. If you're more interested in impressing girls and go fast, get another car. You will not be able to sell your insight for $6000 in the shape it is in, you might get your money back but you won't turn a profit. So it's your move now.

·
3,641 Posts
Hi Fox,

Concur with above comments.

I have mentioned many times that I didn't think the G1 would be the most ideal first car for the AVERAGE young person. That's because it does have its share of idiosyncrasies, and even Honda Techs aren't familiar with them enough. These cars are as rare as some Italian classics, so no wonder.

It's what you need/want. I love the Integras. Out of the three you posted, I'd probably consider the silver '99 one for <$4000 if it checked out. (It didn't state if it was a 5 speed or auto, but I would get it ESPECIALLY if it were an Automatic: less wear and tear...I think.) Red one was salvage and black one looked a little too beat up for the price to me.

Consider an older Prelude also, I have an '86 2.0Si. Well-built car. It was the top of the line Honda at the time. Another good teen car is the 2000-2006 Celica GT or GT-S. You get Corolla mechanicals and reliability in a sportier and more fuel efficient package. (Maybe weight or the more aerodynamic body.)

So, we'd hate to see you move on, but we know you'll be back. ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm. Damn, 16. I wish I would have owned an Insight when I was 16.

This is really a tough one.. There are so many things at play. Obviously none of us know you personally, so it's really hard to say whether the Insight is for you.

Why did your parents pick it for you?

The Insight is a 12 year old car. It definitely has some complicated systems, but so do all cars - depending on your level of understanding. Technologically advanced cars aren't going to disappear anytime soon, so it would make more sense to embrace it I think, especially since you're so young. Hybrids and EVs are only going to become more prevalent.

You can drive the Insight like a normal car and still get great fuel economy. It's only when you truly learn the ropes that you can get 80+mpg.

If you had a P1449 error code, the IMA battery is already bad and the IMA light should be on. If it is not, it was likely reset during all the 12V work.

If the IMA light is on and/or the battery is bad, it's no wonder you're not happy with the car. The Insight is a real dog without IMA working. It really comes to life and is much, much more peppy and fun to drive with a good battery in it.

Unfortunately you won't get 6k out of the car with a bad battery and 200k+ miles. The price paid for the Insight is good and basically pays for a new battery, and guarantees that you'll get many tens of thousands of miles out of the car with no more than minor parts and basic maintenance.

Next let's think about a 12 year old Integra. I'm not intimately familiar with them like I am the Insight and I know they're a typical Honda(ie: reliable), but you're kidding yourself if you think any 12 year old car isn't going to need work. In fact, I would say it's much more likely an Integra is going to need work at 12 years and 200k+ miles. Why? Because teenagers like to drive Integras.

In general, an Insight is likely to have been driven gently.

I dunno. Seriously consider keeping the Insight. Gas prices are cheap right now, but they could easily not be. Imagine the freedom that 50-70mpg could give you when all of your friends are broke and have no money for gas.
Hi Fox,

Concur with above comments.

I have mentioned many times that I didn't think the G1 would be the most ideal first car for the AVERAGE young person. That's because it does have its share of idiosyncrasies, and even Honda Techs aren't familiar with them enough. These cars are as rare as some Italian classics, so no wonder.

It's what you need/want. I love the Integras. Out of the three you posted, I'd probably consider the silver '99 one for <$4000 if it checked out. (It didn't state if it was a 5 speed or auto, but I would get it ESPECIALLY if it were an Automatic: less wear and tear...I think.) Red one was salvage and black one looked a little too beat up for the price to me.

Consider an older Prelude also, I have an '86 2.0Si. Well-built car. It was the top of the line Honda at the time. Another good teen car is the 2000-2006 Celica GT or GT-S. You get Corolla mechanicals and reliability in a sportier and more fuel efficient package. (Maybe weight or the more aerodynamic body.)

So, we'd hate to see you move on, but we know you'll be back.
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the quick replies! That is definitely one reason why I love this forum. :) If I can't sell my Insight for more than I bought it, there really isn't any need in selling it. lol Now that I've looked around and seen what is in my market, I would probably get a Nissan (I know, "Its not a Honda!!!" lol) 300zx, less miles on them for some reason, and I can find a nice N/A 5spd for around $5000. If I did buy a new car, it would HAVE to be a 5spd. I love actually "driving" my car. ;) After driving my parent's auto's while learning with my permit, I learned that it is more fun to actually "control" your car. I might just have to bite the bullet & buy a maxIMA battery. I love this car & it's so much fun to drive, plus the gas mileage. I guess that its just the fact that all these problems coming up right as soon as I got it is what put a bad taste in my mouth. Anyway, thanks for all the help, you guys might have convinced me to stay with my Insight. :)
MrFox

1 - 20 of 43 Posts