Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I changed the oil and filter on my (new to me) 2000 Insight. I had 2.6 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and a WIX filter ready to go. I also had a new Fumoto Valve ready to be installed. Finally, I had read in detail here about stripped threads on the magnesium oil pan.

My plan was to removed the old drain bolt and drain the oil. Remove the old filter and replace with a new filter. Then install the Fumoto valve carefully (being careful not to overtighten). Well the first thing I encountered was that the Acura dealership I bought the car from a few weeks ago over-torqued the drain bolt. I don't know how many foot pounds of torque were used to tighten the bolt, but I had to put a crazy amount of force into getting the bolt to loosen (and I've done many oil changes and have never seen anything like this).

After getting the oil drained and the filter replaced, I was ready to install the Fumoto Valve. I had read in other previous threads here that some people had removed the metal plate that sits between the oil pan and the valve while others had left it in place. I decided to leave it in place -- bad idea.

The "bolt" part of the Fumoto Valve is shorter than the original drain bolt. This, combined with the metal plate means that you only have about three threads on the valve that make contact with the threads on the pan. Forget about over-tightening! I tightened the valve 1/4 turn and I heard the threads snap. I could have beat the mechanic who previously tightened the drain bolt on so tight.

So I unscrewed the valve and sure enough, a little bit of metal shavings came with it. Again, having read in detail here about the threads, about installs of the Fumoto Valve, some people removing the metal plate, and finally the cost of getting the oil pan replaced/repaired, it didn't take me long to figure out what to do. I removed the metal plate. I knew that this would give me some more threads for tightening the valve. Working vary carefully and keeping my fingers crossed, I was able to tighten the valve down to a proper torque. Total crisis averted. Thank heavens! I put everything back together and poured in 2.6 quarts. Started the car and no leaks. And now I can simply use the fumoto valve from this point on.

Bottom line is this, even if you know that the threads can strip easily, know this -- it is still easier than you think --- especially if the previous mechanic torqued the drain bolt to something like 40 foot pounds.

Also, I would strongly advise that when installing a Fumoto Drain Valve, that you plan to remove the metal plate. You might be able to install the valve with the plate in between, but I wouldn't advise attempting it. I know if I had the opportunity to do things over last night, I would have removed the plate before installing the valve the first time.

-Bryan

·
Registered
702 Posts
thanks for the great write up :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts