Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I'm nearly due for my first oil change. I am going to do it myself to ensure the proper oil and filter are used and such. I found a site that sells both the mobil1 filter (M1-108) and the 0w-20 oil. However, they also have a FRAM (PH6607) and was thinking about getting that since it is a bit cheaper then the mobil filter. Actually, it looks there are a few choices from FRAM (extra gaurd, tough gaurd and double gaurd). The documentation I have read thus far does no indicate what sort of milage one can generally expect from this filter. I was alos thinking of getting the sure drain as well, seems like a good idea since I intend on changing my own oil. Although, I still want to do it the "Normal" way just so I am familer with the procedure. I tried to find the Amsoil 0w-20, but mobil seemed easier to come across. I believe both are quality synthetics and have equal or very near equal performance. Does anyone recall the milage rating the mobil 1 was given? I remember seeing it some here and one other place but don't recall the number.

In short, the mobil filter seems to be of a higher quality but I have heard that FRAM is of equal quality so who knows. THoughts of folks who have experience with either or both filters would be appriciated. Thanks:)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I had always used the Honda filters, but just tried a Fram. It has a non-slip end for easier removal. I also put in the drain plug.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Megaoptimus:

___There is a sight you may be interested in not only visiting but also reading in detail that is dedicated to almost nothing but oil and filters …___Look up posts by a guy going by the nick of RealWing IIRC. He has cut open just about every major filter going with pic’s and rolling commentary. I know the sites name sounds corny but the info gathered is some of the best I have read …

___Apparently most Honda/Acura oil filters are re-badged FRAM’s although I don’t know if the Insight’s is or not nor do I know which brand of Fram’s they are.

___Amsoil receives its Base Stock from Mobil1 so it’s an additive game after that. 0W-20 Mobil1 is sold in some Wal-Mart’s but you may have to call around for it. Unfortunately, the local Wal-Mart’s near me have increased their single qt. and 5 qt. prices over the last 3 or 4 months so expect to see ~ $4.58/qt. and $22.84 per 5 qt. container … If you cannot find 0W-20 Mobil1 at a Wal-Mart near you, you can try Pep Boy’s, Auto Zone, Trak-Auto or any other number of DIY auto repair type super stores. My local Wal-Mart didn’t have Mobil1 synthetic 5W-30 for my Corolla and MDX the last time for a change so I went to an Auto Zone and price matched to Wal-Mart for it.

___Now here is a sleeper. There is an oil filter that is otherwise known as the SuperTech. It is available at Wal-Mart for ~ $2.00. In fact, it is Wal-Mart’s name brand cheapie filter. Here is its secret. It is made by Champion labs that also makes the Mobil1, Bosch, and STP filters. It includes a semi-synthetic media (ala Bosch), and has the infamous Champion Labs ADBV (Anti-drain-back-valve). The Mobil1 filter uses a 100% synthetic media that has great efficiency at stopping most particulate down to 5 micron and does include a heavier constructed can. The Bosch and SuperTech use a semi-synthetic media which is great supposedly down to 10 microns. Most of the rest use paper (a few HQ filters use a semi-synthetic media) that are good down to 20 microns with high efficiencies. When I say great, I am talking about the SAE Single (HS806) and Multi-Pass (J1858) efficiency tests. Most oil filters score in an area around 94 to 96% in both. You can read the test results on some oil filters packaging. The SuperTech scores 98 and 99% respectively in these two tests.

___And a few caveat’s. Mobil1’s synthetic media is the best around BUT, it also has possibly the highest Delta P across it during operation. In other words, not as much oil is filtered in the same pass as other filters with less DP. One or two oil analysis has shown higher then expected contaminant count (not dirt but a variety of metals/chemicals shown after analysis) after thousands of miles use vs. other HQ filters although you have to dig deep for those results. On the SuperTech side, you have to be careful and always check the box’s efficiency numbers because Wal-Mart can change suppliers in an instant. Over the past 2 years or so they haven’t but if they do, the Bosch filter is a great alternative to the Mobil1 (a bit less expensive) and should be found in even more locations.

___Finally, I suggest you spend some time in that forum to see what oil and filter you believe to be in your best interest. The site linked above has a search function but since we are only speaking of Oil and Filters, you will get a lot of hits and still have to read through a lot of fluff to get to the nuggets. Supertech and Mobil1 base stock would be the 2 I would use to start.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:ask6s3ua][email protected][/email:ask6s3ua]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
From everything I have read, I would avoid Fram filters, they are low quality. The Fram filters with teflon in them are scary because engine manufactures do not recommend adding teflon additives to their engines!

Almost all Honda filters sold at dealers are just Fram filter made locally. They do this so they compete with the cheap oil and lub shops that use cheap filters so Honda is forced to do the same.
But ask for a Honda Insight filter at the dealer and you find that it costs 2x more but it's the real thing because it's "made in Japan".
OEM oil filters made in Japan are very high quality and you can trust them to do a great job.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xcel,

Wow, thanks for the info. Interesting stuff indeed. Makes me second guess going with full synthetic oil, although I'm thinking I shall stick with mobil 1 0w-20. I shall surely never put additives in the oil to make it rise. Wow.

As far as the filter is concerned, I'm still reading and deciding. Seems to me (according to the tests) that the more the output matches the input, the better the flow but not as good filtration for smaller particles and such. The mobil filter I was going to get falls in the "good filtration, low flow" catagory I think. Though, the supertech you mentioned sounds good as well. Lots to learn! Very nice. peace

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
megaoptimus said
Makes me second guess going with full synthetic oil
Why did you come up with that conclusion?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G,

Well, unless I read the report wrong it appeared that the syn oil didn't rise as much as the other oil. Meaning, not as much oil was getting to the gears. I don't think this is as import in motor oil as it is in oil that is used for gear boxes and things of the like. So I am still sticking with M1 0w-20 syn oil, but deciding on a filter is a pain.

I have near 5k miles thus far on my insight. My intention is to change the oil and filter when it reaches 7500 this time and every 7k there after, changing the filter every other (every 14k) oil change. My original thought was to use the M1 filter, seemed like a good filter for the price and does not use teflon. This site xcel referenced is a damn good site.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi All:

___I just picked up my first filters and some 0W-20 Mobil1 synthetic for the Insight tonight.

___If you were considering the Bosch, its model number is 3300. The STP is 6607, the SuperTech is ST6607, and I believe the Mobil1 was an M108 but I might be mistaken on the Mobil1 filter? In any case, the 0W-20 Synthetic and SuperTech 6607 are ready to go for a Tuesday change. You can pick up the STP, Bosch, or the Mobil1 filters from your nearest Auto Zone for $4.99, $5.99, and $11.99 respectively … Or better yet, you can pick up the SuperTech for just $1.97 at a Walmart near you ;) Take a very close look at the Bosch, STP, and the SuperTech side by side and you cannot mistake that they are made from the same forms other then the media. The SuperTech and Bosch use the semi-synthetic whereas the STP may use a simpler 100% fiber media.

___The choice is yours of course but the proof is in the exact external metal housings, ADBV’s, relief construction, and the internal cutouts which you can see by staring into them at the store.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:1np4kutn][email protected][/email:1np4kutn]

·
Registered
76 Posts
megaoptimus said:
Well, unless I read the report wrong it appeared that the syn oil didn't rise as much as the other oil. Meaning, not as much oil was getting to the gears. I don't think this is as import in motor oil as it is in oil that is used for gear boxes and things of the like.
Honda specifically states not to use synthetic oil in the transmission. You should use Honda MTL, or if it's not available, conventional 10W-30 motor oil. As for the engine, the oil pump injects the oil pretty much everywhere it needs to go, so you don't really need to worry about it "rising" or whatever.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda specifically states not to use synthetic oil in the transmission. You should use Honda MTL, or if it's not available, conventional 10W-30 motor oil. As for the engine, the oil pump injects the oil pretty much everywhere it needs to go, so you don't really need to worry about it "rising" or whatever.[quote:2pq8rkcq]

Oh, I know, don't worry I won't put the wrong transmission. The test to which I was referring was a test (using transmission oil and a set of gears encased in a clear containfer) to see how oil rises (or doesn't) w/ and w/out oil additives.

I went w/ the M-1 filter and oil for my first oil change. Just need to get a strap wrench and 14mm drain plug washer from the honda dealer and I'm ready.
[/quote:2pq8rkcq]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts