Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering since my car is fairly new and the oil has never been changed, do i wait and change the oil at the 7500 mile recommendation or do i change it at 3750 miles? The reason i ask is because of metal shavings and such that have collected in the oil over the mileage i have accumulated or is the 7500 miles Honda recommends allow for more time for the oil to collect more shavings and such? Any help would be great! :?

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
religion

There have been (and probably will be) endless discussions about the oil chage intervals.

Personally, I think all the talk about 3000 mile intervals is just a successful sales-pitch by the oil industry. Stick with the manufacturers recommendation. Also note that the same manufacturer (Honda) recommends for the same car (Insight) a 9000 mile interval in Germany. So even 7500 miles may be too aggressive...

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
There is a 9000 mile service interval in the UK as well. For example there is an oil change service at 18,000 miles and a full service including air filters etc at 27,000 miles. Not sure when the first oil change is scheduled; presumably 9000 miles?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I change mine at around every 5K... Nice round number between the two. Easy to remember. ;)

Just changed my oil for the second time on the Insight and Civic Hybrid about three weeks ago.

If you're wondering about oil filter quality, I believe all the Insight filters are still from Japan (Toyo Roki). So they're fairly decent. However, some other Honda filters ::cough::HCH Filter::cough:: aren't so lucky (aka US made filter by FILTECH).

Still can't find any Mobil1 0W-20 :/ Someone scan a bottle! :D

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
20k miles?

james said:
Maybe the 9000 mile interval is because it rains a lot more in Germany than much of the US, so there's less dust in the air.
Well, then it should be 20,000 miles here in New England :shock:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just changed mine this morning. I do mine at every 5,000 for the same reason that was stated above. I had the first change done at my Honda dealer and just did the 2nd one this a.m. I noticed a couple of screws missing from various body pieces. Luckily I had some extra in the garage. It was consistant from side to side as to which ones were missing. One each inside the wheel well, and one from each side of the underside of the bumper. Strange.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Re: 20k miles?

Armin said:
Well, then it should be 20,000 miles here in New England
Yeah except for all the salt and sand and other chemicals on the roads all wintah...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts