Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My name is Austin and I'm excited about this forum! I just got a new 2013 Insight about three weeks ago and love it. It's my first non-Toyota or non-Prius I've owned. So far, getting about 49 MPG. I guess my question lies here... my IMA battery gets pooped out very quickly and easily. Even when I climb the hill before my house which is about .5 miles long and the battery states full and my assist guage isnt very high (below half) during the whole climb. Then power suddenly goes away and I loose speed rather quickly and find myself struggling with the accelerator. Then today I went down the hill, fully charged it, then about 2 miles later looked down and seen the battery was at it's lowest setting and force charging again. I kmow the car sat on the dealer lot for about 7 months. It was built in January and I bought it in August with 17 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I'm greatly sorry in advance if this wasn't in the right forum, and that I was short with my story. I'm using my mobile phone and also got a vaccine today with a side effect of headaches, so I didn't take as much time as I probably should have explaining.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, no, sorry. What I meant by built was that the sticker in the doorjam of the car indicates that the vehicle was manufactured in January of 2013. The dealer had it for a long time just sitting on the lot. It's still brand-new. I only have 377 miles on the odometer right now, I bought it 3 weeks ago with 17 miles on the odometer, but I was worried that since it sat on the lot for so long, maybe it harmed the Ni-MH battery or unbalanced them.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I'm also very interested in specs, etc. How many amps is the Gen.II rated to maximum discharge at? How many kWhrs is the battery-pack? Does the new Insight do a better job at protecting the battery-pack? What exactly does it do? I plan to post lots of info on my website www.whatdrivesaustin.com and make small handouts for people who are curious. :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think your IMA will come back once it's driven a lot more. I would inform the selling dealer of your issues, try to get your complaints on paper. They should know that they have to run the Insight and not just let it sit. Also be aware that the under hood 12 volt battery can effect the IMA operation. As I first said, it will probably come back. We have members who have bought used Insights from non Honda dealer lots were they sat way too long unused. Those seem to have been fine after a while. But this is definitely not the car for those that may fly out of town for long periods or get deployed in the military.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2012 that sat on the dealer lot for some time, as well. My battery seems to discharge quickly sometimes, and in the morning it seems to recal shortly after I start driving. I suspect it may be the 12V battery, but as it's not unbearable yet, I haven't replaced it.

The 12V batteries on these seem to be fickle. A lot of guys change them for the bigger Civic battery.

Congrats on your Insight! It's more eccentric than a Prius, but I think -personally- it's a more fun drive.

P.S. Glad to see other LGBT green car fans! :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 2012 that sat on the dealer lot for some time, as well. My battery seems to discharge quickly sometimes, and in the morning it seems to recal shortly after I start driving. I suspect it may be the 12V battery, but as it's not unbearable yet, I haven't replaced it.

The 12V batteries on these seem to be fickle. A lot of guys change them for the bigger Civic battery.

Congrats on your Insight! It's more eccentric than a Prius, but I think -personally- it's a more fun drive.

Hey, thanks for the input! If it persists, I'll have that 12v battery checked. And yes! I always get sp excited when another LGBT person loves green cars!
And for sure! I think it's undeniably a more involving drive. I could

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Also, I wanted to point out that I wish there were more people like you. Two days ago, Friday night, my partner and I went to Pittsburgh late that evening to have a nice dinner. We go inside and pick a table to sit at and then go up to get our plates (it was a beffet) and while we were up getting our plates, our waitress was was so nice came up to us and said "I am so sorry, but the table right behind you asked me if I could ask my manager if we could do something about gay people coming into the restaurant and asked if we could move you guys." She said she looked at them and said "You people are kidding, right?" And they were serious. I was pretty offended myself. So I didn't move tables. I wasn't going to give those people the satisfaction. We are not loud, rude, or obnoxious people. We don't show public affection. We weren't hurting anyone. The manager was very apologetic to us though and showed no sympathy to them. I wasn't too offended. It looked like they just came out from under a rock. Probably got their Welfare check and went out that night. Sad thing is, they had a little girl, and they'll raise her to be intollerant and inconsiderate too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We are not loud, rude, or obnoxious people. We don't show public affection. We weren't hurting anyone.

I can understand the fear you must have associated with showing affection to your loved one in public. Not being able to simply hold the hand of the one you love must be very frustrating. Anyway, welcome to the Forums. This is the only active Honda Insight Forum that I have found.

The battery pack on the Insight will deplete and charge based on your driving style. If you drive in one way it will deeply discharge prior to regen, if you drive in a different way it will try to always keep the battery as close to full as possible. It seems that you have owned other hybrids prior to this so you are probably used to driving efficiently. I have a 2013 with 6000 miles on the clock. I was getting about 40-41 in town, and had achieved 45 on the highway. But that has been steadily improving as the engine gets broken in and I learn how to drive the vehicle. I am up to about 43 in town and I imagine I could get 50 on the highway. The numbers I am quoting are real numbers from a full tank of gas and dividing mileage by gallons put in the car. You will find that the display is a little proud of the mileage. Usually it is off by about 2 mpg, but my last tank was displaying 47 mpg and actually it was only 43. The air conditioner makes a tremendous difference. Again, welcome.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Welcome aboard. :) Did one of your prius cars have a enginer phev kit? I think I remember you from youtube and facebook.

Yes, the gen 2 insight is a unique vehicle. It has the mind set if you are going to waste energy it will use it to recharge the ima system. It wont let you drive around on a flat battery. You will see if you drive it like a rental car it will start to keep a 90% charge and if you hyper mile it reverts to a 60-40% charge.

The health and capacity of the starter battery plays a big role. As you regen it automatically turns on the dc to dc converter to charge the 12 volt system. It also comes on like a tradational honda vehicle by way of the ELD, so when the voltage drops below 12.5 volts.

Just switch it to a group 51 unless you got th eresources to go with an agm or even a series of caps. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, I wanted to point out that I wish there were more people like you. Two days ago, Friday night, my partner and I went to Pittsburgh late that evening to have a nice dinner. We go inside and pick a table to sit at and then go up to get our plates (it was a beffet) and while we were up getting our plates, our waitress was was so nice came up to us and said "I am so sorry, but the table right behind you asked me if I could ask my manager if we could do something about gay people coming into the restaurant and asked if we could move you guys." She said she looked at them and said "You people are kidding, right?" And they were serious. I was pretty offended myself. So I didn't move tables. I wasn't going to give those people the satisfaction. We are not loud, rude, or obnoxious people. We don't show public affection. We weren't hurting anyone. The manager was very apologetic to us though and showed no sympathy to them. I wasn't too offended. It looked like they just came out from under a rock. Probably got their Welfare check and went out that night. Sad thing is, they had a little girl, and they'll raise her to be intollerant and inconsiderate too.
Glad the waitress was nice and positive. We need more people like her. Thankfully, my partner and I have never experienced anything like that. Yet.

Also, I'd suggest checking out Gay Car Fans ? The Alternative Automotive Community (I'm a member there), but they're not very...green-friendly. Ha. We're an ultra-unique niche.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad the waitress was nice and positive. We need more people like her. Thankfully, my partner and I have never experienced anything like that. Yet.

Also, I'd suggest checking out Gay Car Fans ? The Alternative Automotive Community (I'm a member there), but they're not very...green-friendly. Ha. We're an ultra-unique niche.
Ha, I don't know why it took me so ling to see this post, but I will check that out! Thanks for the link!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts