Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first symptom was 0% regen with aprox. 90% SOC showing. Initially it felt like brake fade while driving an ICE only vehicle. The next acceleration from stop during my daily city commute, I immediately noticed 0% assist whith a four bar forced charge during all conditions, acceleration, braking, and idling. Auto Stop would not engage. The SOC gauge dropped from five bars from full to four bars from empty over one mile of driving. After a stop on the way home for a birthday gift for my one year old nephew (I think Toys R Us must be at least half full of barbie dolls) the SOC increased very little and assist was four bars max.
My driving was finished for the day and I didn't want to "drive out" the recal when I had no need to travel. The next day I drove 20 miles to my nephew's birthday party. The 2 miles to the freeway generated enough charge to allow acceleration to freeway speed with no worries. The 40 mile round trip yielded a typical 78 mpg for this journey. The car seems back to normal. Have to go now, the Monterey Historic Races are on television. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
c-fors said:
The car seems back to normal.
not exactly, The battery gauge "full" display is now two bars down, compared to one or zero bars down before the recal. I thought maybe the gauge would climb to the top after the recal but after a few freeway trips of 40 plus miles round trip which previously "background" charged the gauge to one bar from full didn't I think the car is back to normal.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Chad, from what I know of Insights a meter reading a couple of bars from the top is normal. When the charge indicator is all the way to the top the IMA battery is "full". In this condition it can not accept a charge. This means that the system can not gain any advantage from regenerative braking and is wasting a potential energy source. The IMA system learns from your driving style and intelligently modifies its behavior to maximize your mileage. I believe that is what you are experiencing. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts