Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I'm a particularly distrustful type, but when it comes to car dealerships...

It's time for my first service. I know it's pretty much just an oil change, but what should I be aware of, watching for, and ready to argue about when it's not done right?

Any and all info appreciated.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Since it's basically just an oil change why not do it yourself? What takes the most time is removing all the bolts for the bottom skirt. Other than that it's very easy and you will know it's done right.

The only time my Insight has seen a dealership is for recall and warranty work.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Check the oil level before leaving the dealership, they almost always overfill it!

While you have the hood open make sure they put the plastic cover back on, they left mine out, I had to come back for a replacement.

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
If you don't want to do it yourself, here is the main thing to be careful of: Get a price estimate BEFORE the work is started. Do NOT let them perform more services that the "severe" condition service in the owners manual. I know of dealers who do all kinds of extra, unnecessary things, then charge top dollar for it. Billy......

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
I forgot to mention: do NOT let them put in more than 2.6 qts of oil. Make them give you the unused portion of the 3rd bottle.......

G

·
0 Posts
Hi David:

___Along with what Billy said, I would take in my own oil and filter. They will probably attempt to rip you a bit for 0W-20. Just purchase your own 3 quarts of Mobil1 0W-20 Synthetic from your local Walmart is all. Before they fill, tell the tech or CSR that you want the oil level half way between the Full and Low to finish the oil change off.

___As for tire pressures, tell them what pressure you want in them. If they refuse, say fill them up to max sidewall and fill them up the rest of the way at home later …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:3trhh708][email protected][/email:3trhh708]

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And how about air filters, etc. Is there one just for the insight and might they try to stiff me with one that's "just as good". These are the same guys who took my order for the car and then told me Honda wasn't making any more (in 2003)

This is a good list coming together. Thanks!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ok, you guys are all making me paranoid. What plastic cover? the cap to the oil? Or is there some other cover i need to go find?
I think he meant the engine cover... Although I don't know why they would remove that... there's no need, unless they spilled a bunch of oil.

The air intake filter is a generic size. I think some of the Civics might use the same size as the Insight. Or was it the CRV...

The filter to watch out for is the cabin filter. That's the hardest one to change and it's easy for the dealership to just charge you for it and not do anything. It is located behind the glove box. You could put a piece of tape over the housing and check if it's gone or moved.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yes the plastic and aluminum panels UNDER the car. Visually make sure they put all the bolts back in. If they forget one, they cost like $2 or $3 each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts