Honda Insight Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, w the help of this board, alot of reading and research, i purchased my 2000MT on 8/1/06. it had 63238 mi, 62.2 LMPG. my wife was skeptical to say the least, mainly she didnt like the way it looks. for me it is a replacement commuter car for my 1994 del sol w 200k miles. i commute at odd times, so carpooling etc is out of the question. i finally got her to go on a trip in it, and bought my first tank of gas saturday, and i thought this would be a good time to give everyone my thoughts on this car.

the bad: noisy, the floormat moving fwd issue, wife says the seats are uncomfortable, and no vanity mirror under the pax visor. the stock stereo is weak, but i expected that.

the good: i think the seats are fine, my milage was amazing, its fun to drive, kinda like a game trying to hypermile. breaks the boredom of the commute.

heres what i came up with milage wise. i believe i have the perfect commute for the insight, mostly 45mph secondary roads w only light traffic other than during rush hour. only a handful of stoplights i can easily time not to hit red when the traffic is light. rolling hills at the worst, no mountains. a 15 mile stretch of highway, 55mph s limit, rolling hills again.

when i bought the car i reset the segment meter, and will be using that as my personal LMPG meter. the dealership had filled up the car, before i left. i drove 737miles on that tank of gas, stopped and filled it up as soon as the low fuel light came on. the pump shut off at 9.5gal giving me 77.5mpg. i was able to force another gallon in by rocking the car a bit. IF the dealer filled it all the way up that would give me 70.2mpg. i dont believe they had the car that full, and my segment meter read 737 miles, @ 79.6 mpg.

anyways i had told the wife i could get 70 mpg, and im doin better than that. my best 1 way commute has been 87mpg, and my lowest commute 81 mpg in traffic. the 180 mi drive my wife and i took yesterday pulled my mileage down, we averaged about 70mpg on our trip. the only thing ive done to the car was check the tire pressure. i had figure the dealership woulda had the tires inflated to factory specs, but the were all in the low 30s. i pumped em up to 50, and saw a 5mpg increase, along w a significant increase in noise.

ill take the noise

:)

·
Registered
495 Posts
learjet said:
hi all, w the help of this board, alot of reading and research, i purchased my 2000MT on 8/1/06. it had 63238 mi, 62.2 LMPG. ,,,

... the bad: noisy, ... but i expected that.

... the good: ... my milage was amazing, its fun to drive, ... like a game trying to hypermile. breaks the boredom of the commute.
If you like your Insight now, wait till you get used to using it - which if you're like the rest of us, will probably take a few months! Odds are you'll probably regret not having bought it sooner - they're better than advertised!

Best of luck with the car!

Fred :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Good job!

Keep in mind that by forcing fuel into the system after the nozzle clicks off, you can get it into all sorts of filters and hoses that are not really supposed to have liquid in them...

·
Registered
495 Posts
learjet said:
... i was able to force another gallon in by rocking the car a bit.
For what it's worth - Dougie's right!

... NOT at all recommended - when the pump "clicks off" stop fueling it right then and there. Don't "force feed" the machine. You could end up causing yourself all sorts of grief as a result if you do.

These Insights are NOT like the other cars you've owned in the past. They are considerably different and time and experience will prove that out to you.

Fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts